Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2018, 04:18 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,067,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I wasn't saying you should shoot a movie like theirs. I'm saying the way they shot it (as well as tiny cast and one set) is the reason they were able to make them so cheaply. You want a soundtrack, action scenes, large cast, lots of locations, and you simply can't make your movie anywhere close to as cheaply as Blair Witch and Paranormal Activity. I don't think you have a firm handle on the costs.
Well I'm going by my experience, making short films before, and in my experience, it's actually easier to make a movie with more locations and more actors.

The reason being is that most location owners are cool with shooting just one scene in their location for example, but if I tell them I want to shoot an whole movie there, they will say no, because they cannot have their places booked for that long. So in the past it was actually easier for me to book locations for smaller amounts of time, rather than just a few locations for much larger amounts of time.

Same with actors. Actors were willing to work part time for very low pay, but I don't want to keep a lot of actors on screen for too long, cause that means they to make more commitment and more sacrifices, compared to a larger cast, where a lot of actors are only needed for a couple of scenes maybe, compared to a just a small few that has to carry the whole movie.

But this has just been my experience so far, and I'm making decisions based on that experience, if I should be.

Now I could try to appeal to investors, but... that is me putting my decisions in someone else's hands again, so if they say no, does that not mean I should take matters into my own hands as a plan B, if I want to achieve a goal?

Last edited by ironpony; 11-27-2018 at 04:33 PM..

Old 11-27-2018, 04:23 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,169,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post

I understand they care and they mean well, but what can I do to get them to be more supportive. If I lose it all, then I am back to square one, but what can I do to make them see that it may be a necessary risk?
Let's get back to your original question. You can't "make" your parents be more supportive. You are old enough to hold down a job whether you like it or not as a lot of adults have to do, move out, and be responsible for yourself instead of worrying about pleasing your parents. It's your money, so do what you want. But don't expect them to support a venture they see as unlikely to succeed, and especially don't come on a public forum and expect anyone who doesn't even know you or your parents personally to be able to help you convince them otherwise, then argue with them when they agree it's a bad idea.

Old 11-27-2018, 04:48 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
He would have changed Dirty Dancing, if you recall that thread. Blasphemy!

DD was a blockbuster success so obviously it was done just right in the minds of most. Now it's perfectly ok for an artist to have opinions and preferences that run counter to most people but they probably won't find economic success.

Old 11-27-2018, 05:33 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
On top of everything else, you just quit your real job. A movie is about the very last thing I would be pondering...

I'm sure your parents are not thrilled about any of this. Truly, I don't blame them.

Old 11-27-2018, 05:39 PM

My parents told me to quit the job. They said it was driving me crazy and that my health was not worth it. So they support me quitting the job, they are just obviously really worried about me doing a feature film.

Old 11-27-2018, 05:47 PM

605 posts, read 335,298 times
Quote:
He's in what I believe is a more remote area of Canada (Saskatchewan?)
oh thanks

Old 11-27-2018, 06:08 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
My parents told me to quit the job. They said it was driving me crazy and that my health was not worth it. So they support me quitting the job, they are just obviously really worried about me doing a feature film.
If you took their advice about the job maybe you should listen to them about the film. You were always complaining about that job so I suspect you took their advice because you wanted to justify quitting something less than pleasant. A lot of life isn't pleasant but needs to be done. Learn that now. Now that they are not supporting your desire to do the film, you are condemning their advice because you don't like it. Can't have it both ways. You either go out and support yourself and live with the consequences or you stay dependent on your parents and expect them to manage your affairs for you.

Old 11-27-2018, 06:54 PM

Okay thanks. I will try to support myself. It's not like I don't want a job of course, I just need to find a new one, with more tolerable conditions. Do you think that maybe I have too much dignity? Not sure if dignity is the right term, but there is something inside that says if something is really bad for me, like my job, then quit it maybe.

And that same part of me is saying if making a feature film to hopefully sell is my dream, than do it. Maybe it's TOO MUCH dignity?

Old 11-27-2018, 07:06 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
Okay thanks. I will try to support myself. It's not like I don't want a job of course, I just need to find a new one, with more tolerable conditions. Do you think that maybe I have too much dignity? Not sure if dignity is the right term, but there is something inside that says if something is really bad for me, like my job, then quit it maybe.

And that same part of me is saying if making a feature film to hopefully sell is my dream, than do it. Maybe it's TOO MUCH dignity?

You need to figure that out for yourself.

Old 11-27-2018, 07:22 PM

431 posts, read 351,894 times
Quote:

Sometimes one's own ego is their worst enemy. Get over yourself and toughen up! Nothing worthwhile in life comes easy. Most of us suffer through stuff we don't want to do. Sounds like you've been coddled most of your life. Time to grow up and be an adult. Get another job and deal with the difficulties so you can move out and support yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships