Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 02:12 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,197,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Yes. You were rude. Perhaps he asks you the same question every day ... just give the same response. "Nope. I enjoy the cold."

And don't let the little things get to you. Because I assure you, this is one of the little things.
No, if anything the OP was more polite than the other guy deserved. He waited at least several days to say it. Fwiw, no profanity was used.

It's not a huge thing, but it is more significant than just a little thing IMO. Try to put yourself in the OP's situation.The OP is probably spending good money on his fitness club membership. He deserves a comfortable environment in which to exercise. If the other guy asked him this once a month, then let it go. Every single day is just extreme.

Better to prevent a little thing from becoming a bigger thing. There's a good chance without a "red light" from the OP the other guy may then try to bug him about a few other things, perhaps "Why are you setting the weight on that machine so low?", etc. The other guy sounds like a probable control freak plus annoying, too. Agree to disagree.

Good decision IMO to set the limit before that starts and not be a doormat!

OP, please let us know if he continues this or stops it the next time you are at the gym. Thanks.

Last edited by chessgeek; 12-11-2018 at 02:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 03:27 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I don't understand it either, when people won't wear coats. It's like they're trying to show off how very masculine they are, because it doesn't feel cold.
Ummm, I am not showing off how masculine I am! I am female and only wear a coat when absolutely necessary. Like the OP, if it was only a minute walk--why bother lugging around a coat?

For me it has nothing to do with "it doesn't feel cold" as much as I despise the bulkiness of a coat and carrying it around. I will wear a scarf and gloves.

OP--I think it was a good way to respond back to the guy.

Old 12-11-2018, 03:40 AM

17,742 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
No, if anything the OP was more polite than the other guy deserved. He waited at least several days to say it. Fwiw, no profanity was used.
What did the other guy deserve?

Old 12-11-2018, 04:31 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's not normal to repeat the same question day after day after day.
Its a possibility. I know people who have the same greeting or ask the same basic question every day. Since op answered the first time he’s now getting a response every time from op so he’s going with what works.

Old 12-11-2018, 05:14 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,197,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Had this in mind: "You should realize by now that you sound like a broken record or you easily forgot my replies. I have answered you on this several times."

Or

"I have given you the same answer several times. Please memorize it or write it down, but this is the last time I will answer you on this."

The OP had a good reply though and it was more original.

Old 12-11-2018, 05:49 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
I go to the gym nearly every day. It's a block from home. I walk there and don't wear a coat. Yes, it's cold, but I like cold weather...and it's one block, so 1 minute outside. Big deal.

Another regular comes up to me almost every day, saying, "You didn't wear a coat today?"

I want to reply, "Shut up and stop bugging me" but I usually just try to say hello back and have a minute of positive conversation.

Finally, this morning he came up to me, saying the exact same thing as he always does ("You didn't wear a coat today?") and I responded, with a smile, "Well, Mom, if you'd have it dry cleaned and ironed for me, maybe I would."

Was I rude?
It was funny to me. I think he would’ve just chuckled if he had a sense of humor.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:24 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,796,492 times
Quote:
Fair point, although saying the EXACT SAME THING EVERY SINGLE DAY is annoying, no matter what it is. (Other than "Good morning" or something.)
Women - you know nothing (joking).

Some men are awkward like this. It is similar to how a little boy teases or insults a girl that he likes. He's annoying you because he likes you.

So yeah, you can think it is ridiculous all you want but that my dear is what's happening.

Best of luck.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Women - you know nothing (joking).

Some men are awkward like this. It is similar to how a little boy teases or insults a girl that he likes. He's annoying you because he likes you.

So yeah, you can think it is ridiculous all you want but that my dear is what's happening.

Best of luck.

G-fused, the OP is a guy.

Quote:
Why should one man care what another man wears? It's creepy and annoying.

Old 12-11-2018, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Had this in mind: "You should realize by now that you sound like a broken record or you easily forgot my replies. I have answered you on this several times."

Or

"I have given you the same answer several times. Please memorize it or write it down, but this is the last time I will answer you on this."

The OP had a good reply though and it was more original.
I don't understand the hostility or see any need for that type of response.

Old 12-11-2018, 08:10 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times
Quote:
I go to the gym nearly every day. It's a block from home. I walk there and don't wear a coat. Yes, it's cold, but I like cold weather...and it's one block, so 1 minute outside. Big deal.

Another regular comes up to me almost every day, saying, "You didn't wear a coat today?"

I want to reply, "Shut up and stop bugging me" but I usually just try to say hello back and have a minute of positive conversation.

Finally, this morning he came up to me, saying the exact same thing as he always does ("You didn't wear a coat today?") and I responded, with a smile, "Well, Mom, if you'd have it dry cleaned and ironed for me, maybe I would."

Was I rude?
Nope Totes Appropes line...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships