Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 10:55 AM

1,315 posts, read 3,229,810 times

Advertisements

I wrote a lengthy email to the state representatives in my district regarding suggestions for bills that relate to a certain subject, plus a few others not in my district that have introduced bills in the past regarding that same subject. I received a reply from one representative not my in district thanking me for my well thought-out email and asking me if I could come down to the Legislature to discuss them further. I do not wish to do this because I feel I have described each proposal on this topic thoroughly and the Legislature is about 25 miles or an hour away with traffic. What is a polite way to decline an in-person visit, while still remaining open to further questions by email? I am not a professional advocate and don't wish to become one, but rather a regular citizen who has some original ideas on a certain topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2018, 10:59 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,982,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
I wrote a lengthy email to the state representatives in my district regarding suggestions for bills that relate to a certain subject, plus a few others not in my district that have introduced bills in the past regarding that same subject. I received a reply from one representative not my in district thanking me for my well thought-out email and asking me if I could come down to the Legislature to discuss them further. I do not wish to do this because I feel I have described each proposal on this topic thoroughly and the Legislature is about 25 miles or an hour away with traffic. What is a polite way to decline an in-person visit, while still remaining open to further questions by email? I am not a professional advocate and don't wish to become one, but rather a regular citizen who has some original ideas on a certain topic.
That's what they send to everyone who writes them a civil, sensical letter.

Boy Scouts have to do that as part of their Citizenship badge. They get replies just like that. And no, the Boy Scouts have no interest in going there and discussing their ideas.

Unless you were invited to a specific meeting, you don't have to respond, and they're not waiting for your response.

Old 12-29-2018, 11:09 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
If you want to keep the lines of communication open, just write something like this:

"Thank you for your reply.

I appreciate your invitation, but I prefer to communicate via email. I hope I have explained my thoughts on these issues thoroughly, but if you have questions please feel free to email me again.

Thank you for the work you do in our state legislature.

Sincerely,

Happs"

Old 12-29-2018, 11:28 AM

1,279 posts, read 853,731 times
You can ignore the response or reply as BirdieBell says.

I'd go, though--from my limited experience visiting Congresspeople on Capitol Hill, emails are largely ignored but an in-person visit, when requested, could have significant impact.

Old 12-29-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
If you want to keep the lines of communication open, just write something like this:

"Thank you for your reply.

I appreciate your invitation, but I prefer to communicate via email. I hope I have explained my thoughts on these issues thoroughly, but if you have questions please feel free to email me again.

Thank you for the work you do in our state legislature.

Sincerely,

Happs"

Thank you for the excellent suggestion. Debating whether to reply with something like that or just ignore the politician's response.

Old 12-29-2018, 12:05 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Thank you for the excellent suggestion. Debating whether to reply with something like that or just ignore the politician's response.
It's easy to think that the reply is just an autoreply, but I like to err on the side of etiquette.

If they all had ignored you, it would be easy to claim "they never listen." Since this one did reply, I would return the favor.

This is how relationships get started. I work with elected officials on a daily basis, and many of them do remember you from repeated contact. If you want to be more than just that guy who rants, take a minute to respond. It doesn't make you a lobbybist or anything.

It really doesn't hurt a thing.

Old 12-29-2018, 01:54 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,045,926 times
Quote:

So you actually don't care for the issue in question, then? Words are one thing. Action is another. By declining, you basically reduced your concerns to petty carping rather than advocacy.

Old 12-29-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
So you actually don't care for the issue in question, then? Words are one thing. Action is another. By declining, you basically reduced your concerns to petty carping rather than advocacy.

Wrong interpretation. The politician even commented how my two page letter was well thought out. Thousands of people march or hold signs outside Legislatures each year with political positions, only to be ignored. What is the difference between writing a two page letter vs oralizing those thoughts in a politician's offer or at a public hearing?

Old 12-29-2018, 02:11 PM

1,279 posts, read 853,731 times
Quote:
Wrong interpretation. The politician even commented how my two page letter was well thought out. Thousands of people march or hold signs outside Legislatures each year with political positions, only to be ignored. What is the difference between writing a two page letter vs oralizing those thoughts in a politician's offer or at a public hearing?
There is a big difference between the two. An in-person meeting will have much more impact, particularly if you bring others with you. You have a potential ally in the legislature- why not work thatbfor all you can?

Old 12-29-2018, 02:16 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:
The difference is, if you show up to state your position in front of the legislature, it is in the public record, and is shared in front of the whole chamber. In all honesty, I don't know how often those testimonies change a vote, but it makes the other side look bad when they vote the opposite way their constituents want, and it helps justify voting the other way.

The person probably invited you because you are on the same side of the issue they are, and they want public testimony that supports that position.

It is normally recommended that you stick with contacting your own representative. It's a little odd that you were invited by a different one.

Another option for you might be to have someone else read your testimony.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships