Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 11:20 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,200 times

Advertisements

Basically I want to get into a career as a film director, and have decided to make my own feature film after saving up a lot of money. But people think I am crazy for wanting to do this, and everyone is telling me absolutely not to.

But now since then, and now that I am closer to getting the ball rolling, the pressure for me to quit is so much higher, and I feel like everyone is just at my legs trying to pull me away. Even my parents think it's a huge mistake and waste of so much money as the movie will never sell. They think I have gone insane, and are trying to seize control of my savings, cause I am mentally unfit.

I understand they care and they mean well, but what can I do to get them to be more supportive. If I lose it all, then I am back to square one, but what can I do to make them see that it may be a necessary risk?

Moderator note: Thread moved from Community Chat to Non-romantic Relationships.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-26-2018 at 07:04 PM..

Old 11-25-2018, 11:33 PM

16,669 posts, read 17,433,087 times
May I suggest that there may be better forums on City Data to advise you.

How old are you? Are you independent of your parents?

Old 11-25-2018, 11:37 PM

Sorry I wasn't sure which forum to use for this one.

No I live with them right now, cause I wanted to save up so much. I almost bought a house before but decided not too, since I would have just ended up selling it anyway, to achieve the goal most likely.

Old 11-26-2018, 12:05 AM

61,704 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
But people think I am crazy for wanting to do this, and everyone is telling me absolutely not to.

They think I have gone insane, and are trying to seize control of my savings, cause I am mentally unfit.
To declare you incompetent, your parents would need to take several steps.
Consult an attorney.
File for guardianship.
Get you evaluated.
You cannot be deemed incompetent until you're evaluated by medical practitioner.
If you don't comply with a voluntary evaluation, a court order must be requested, by way of filing the proper motion, before the probate court.
Submit that evaluation to the court.
Attend the hiring.

Do you think that you could be ruled incompetent?

Old 11-26-2018, 01:17 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,428,983 times
Quote:
Basically I want to get into a career as a film director, and have decided to make my own feature film after saving up a lot of money. But people think I am crazy for wanting to do this, and everyone is telling me absolutely not to.

But now since then, and now that I am closer to getting the ball rolling, the pressure for me to quit is so much higher, and I feel like everyone is just at my legs trying to pull me away. Even my parents think it's a huge mistake and waste of so much money as the movie will never sell. They think I have gone insane, and are trying to seize control of my savings, cause I am mentally unfit.

I understand they care and they mean well, but what can I do to get them to be more supportive. If I lose it all, then I am back to square one, but what can I do to make them see that it may be a necessary risk?
Ironpony, you do realise the cost of making a motion picture? What you can save will not make one the general public would pay to see.

It also needs to be released to cinemas all over the country. Who do you think is going to do that?

Where are you going to get the actors to appear in your film, and how are you going to pay them?

Please listen to your parents.

Old 11-26-2018, 04:55 AM

Well other filmmakers had to do the same thing and make a microbudget feature film on very low money that they hoped would get picked up and bought out later. So I feel like I am having to do what other ones had to do in their lives as well.

As for my parents declaring me incompetent, I'm not sure.

Old 11-26-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Well other filmmakers had to do the same thing and make a microbudget feature film on very low money that they hoped would get picked up and bought out later. So I feel like I am having to do what other ones had to do in their lives as well.

So... What is your budget??
Some very successful indie movies were made with a very low budget:
http://indiechannel.co.za/9-low-budg...ilm-successes/

Old 11-26-2018, 07:53 AM

Quote:

To "seize control of your savings, cause you're mentally unfit" your parents will have to declare you incompetent.

Old 11-26-2018, 08:01 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,248,505 times
Idk...you live in their home as an adult. I'd probably be furious too if my son was making a movie vs. moving out.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:34 AM

16,669 posts, read 17,433,087 times
There's always crowdfunding for your project.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.