Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 04:39 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,696,468 times

Advertisements

None your business OP. leave it be
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 05:01 PM

6,868 posts, read 4,866,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I think not having a full-time job is secondary to living in a family member’s basement. People can not have full-time jobs but still do fairly well for themselves. If they own their own homes and are financially independent, it isn’t as big a deal if they work part time. If they are living in a family member’s home AND work part time, that is when it becomes an issue.
^^this.

40 years old and living in a family member's basement would pretty much be a repellent to a normal woman. Only working part-time would be a bit alarming, but if he earned enough to afford to keep a house of his own and do recreational things that could be acceptable.

It sounds as if he may have some mental health issues. Depression and anxiety.....if it's not being treated it should be. But, unless he asks again mind your own business. If he asks have him read this thread.

Old 01-14-2019, 05:23 PM

17,743 posts, read 9,192,519 times
I think he's just looking for a Sugar Mama.

Old 01-14-2019, 05:25 PM

3,072 posts, read 1,682,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post

So, should we find a gentle way to say this? I don't know if it will make much difference but it could. Or should we just not say anything and let him figure it out on his own?
Since he asks then you may as well tell him the truth, although I don't think it will do much good. Some of the women have likely been involved with men who were irresponsible or unambitious (which is laziness in most cases). They see no future with this guy.

But, really, if he doesn't have this figured out at 40 then I don't see him changing. Sad.

Old 01-14-2019, 05:28 PM

30,358 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
If he asked you directly, why would you be posing this question:

You post and response above are not consistent.
It's consistent enough. They're saying he has asked for advice, but should they respond honestly? Kind of similar to when a friend asks if you like their new haircut, lol.

Old 01-14-2019, 05:54 PM

30,358 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
True.

A full-time job isn't necessarily the requirement. Perhaps it should instead be the pursuit of something with passion and a destination. Heck, when I dated my wife, I didn't have two nickels to my name. But I was motivated, was always working to get to the next level, and loved what I did. She had dated a lawyer before me, a guy who made a lot more scratch, but liked that I enjoyed work and life a lot more than he did.
Agreed! When my mother met my father, he was a poor grad student on full scholarship... but she saw his passion and motivation to succeed, which was more attractive to her than the super-wealthy man she'd just left (they were actually engaged). She always told me that story as a lesson, saying "better to find a driven and passionate poor man/woman than a lazy and boring rich one." And by the time they divorced 29 years later, my father was no longer poor. Far from it, in fact.

Old 01-14-2019, 06:25 PM

1,279 posts, read 853,049 times
I'd just tell him, "The women who've given feedback say that the only negative is that you don't have a full-time job."

I wouldn't sugarcoat it.

Old 01-14-2019, 07:13 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Oh God, not another man-child.

A 40 year old man who lives in his parent's basement and doesn't work full-time had better be divorced and have custody of his kids on the weekends. And he should be actively seeking better employment. This is the only scenario in which the term "loser" doesn't apply.

Old 01-14-2019, 07:43 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,460,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
We tried to set him up with a few people

You should be proud of yourself for being his friends and trying to set him up with people. That's how a social circle should function. None of my supposed close friends have ever tried to set me up with someone. Every date I've ever had has been as a result of either cold approaching or app/website.

Old 01-14-2019, 07:44 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
I'm a big believer in speaking up, so that you can be content that you did your best to help.

Based on how you've written your post, I'm confident that you could say it gently and kindly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships