Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 04:47 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I am very judgmental toward many people who I think have made bad life choices (and especially those who think others should pay for those bad choices), but I think I am very open-minded when it comes to listening to the people who disagree with me on most political issues UNLESS their views are what I consider to be extreme. (I dislike SJWs as much as I dislike white supremacists.)

Really? Judgemental towards those who made bad life choices???

Why is that, do you think?? I mean do you ever consider circumstances etc. of such a person or just mark them off without a thought?

Not picking at you, just wondering....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 05:11 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I am very judgmental toward many people who I think have made bad life choices (and especially those who think others should pay for those bad choices), but I think I am very open-minded when it comes to listening to the people who disagree with me on most political issues UNLESS their views are what I consider to be extreme. (I dislike SJWs as much as I dislike white supremacists.)
Curious. When you say "bad choices" I'd suspect that definition matters. It would be one thing to judge someone who doesn't make the same choice about something that YOU would. Basically, that person disagrees with you so that's why you are judgmental.

I suspect you didn't mean it that way. By "bad choices" I'd hope you meant something like choosing to commit crimes, fraud, injure or hurt others.

Old 02-22-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Curious. When you say "bad choices" I'd suspect that definition matters. It would be one thing to judge someone who doesn't make the same choice about something that YOU would. Basically, that person disagrees with you so that's why you are judgmental.

I suspect you didn't mean it that way. By "bad choices" I'd hope you meant something like choosing to commit crimes, fraud, injure or hurt others.

Yes...hope she meant the last example....

Old 02-22-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
For me, yes, without a doubt. My mother was critical of me and everyone else. All the time. Every day.

I know now she was coming from a very insecure place, having felt shunted aside and unloved for most of her young life. I don't hear her voice in my head nearly as much as I used to, or if I do I don’t pay it any attention.

I had to make up my mind to change. I am still a work in progress.

Had the same type mother.....daughters are never good enough for those kinds....

Old 02-22-2019, 08:18 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
I'm judgmental, and I think more people should be more judgmental.

People should have standards.

That has nothing to do with "Live and let live." You can hold both ideas at once.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:24 PM

6,305 posts, read 4,199,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post

My deal is with people in general who, it seems, try hard just to make someone else's life miserable. Such selfish, vicious behavior...don't they know THEY are the ones with a problem???

I can think of several of these poor people right now...very sad. These 2 I'm thinking of are supposedly devoted church goers. LOL....
No don’t think they woukd accept they are the ones with a problem or that what goes around comes around, they would just argue they are just being honest, or they are realists

Old 02-22-2019, 08:36 PM

19,807 posts, read 9,367,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post

By bad choices, I am specifically referring to people who commit crimes and end up in jail or prison (thus being supported by the work of others after harming other people in one way or another), and by people who drop out of school, have babies (plural), and then rely on others for the next 18 years or so (at least) to financially support them.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:47 PM

7,592 posts, read 4,163,667 times
Yes. I judge. If it looks stupid or sounds stupid, I don't do it. If it doesn't make sense, I don't repeat it and encourage it.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:55 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,898,606 times
The only way I judge people is in how they treat others and how they treat animals, kids, elders etc.

I won't judge you for having different life choices or values than my own but I WILL judge you for mistreating those weaker than you (kids/animals/elderly). It will not be a flattering judgment.

My company does lunch interviews and we interviewed this candidate for a managerial role with part of it at a restaurant--one of the nicer ones in the area. This candidate was perfectly courteous to all of us (upper management) but was rude and condescending to the table bussers, hostess, and wait staff. When we got back to the shop and I put him in the conference room, I realized I had forgotten my interview papers and walked back to my office. The receptionist stopped me and told me that the candidate had been very rude to her. I had no interest in hiring him at this point anyhow after seeing his behavior in the restaurant and it was upsetting to hear that he had been rude to the receptionist. I went back to the candidate, thanked him for his time and told him we'd be in touch. The hiring manager wants to bring this guy on but no way, I'm not letting that happen. There are plenty of other good candidates out there who aren't total a-holes to those who they see as somehow 'beneath' them.

Old 02-22-2019, 11:00 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
My company does lunch interviews and we interviewed this candidate for a managerial role with part of it at a restaurant--one of the nicer ones in the area. This candidate was perfectly courteous to all of us (upper management) but was rude and condescending to the table bussers, hostess, and wait staff. When we got back to the shop and I put him in the conference room, I realized I had forgotten my interview papers and walked back to my office. The receptionist stopped me and told me that the candidate had been very rude to her. I had no interest in hiring him at this point anyhow after seeing his behavior in the restaurant and it was upsetting to hear that he had been rude to the receptionist. I went back to the candidate, thanked him for his time and told him we'd be in touch. The hiring manager wants to bring this guy on but no way, I'm not letting that happen. There are plenty of other good candidates out there who aren't total a-holes to those who they see as somehow 'beneath' them.
Several decades ago we had a lovely young veterinarian treating our elderly cat for chronic kidney failure. She was patient and understanding with us. This was the first cat we'd ever had with failing kidneys so there was a lot to learn.

However, she repeatedly treated the techs and the receptionist with utter contempt, berating them in front of us. It was thoroughly uncalled-for and unbearable to witness. We took our business elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships