Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 11:05 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,077,558 times

Advertisements

Some time clocks work in 15 min increments, not min by min. If you were even a few seconds under 15 mins, it wouldn't count it. That's how it is where I work

I think you just have to take this loss, they technically didn't do anything wrong if that's how their time punch system operates
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 11:30 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Exactly. With some employers, you only get credit for the 15 minutes at 15:01. But if you work 14:58, no bueno.

Old 02-26-2019, 02:46 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conlainhothuong View Post
I did contact payroll. They paid me my actual working hours correctly in the past so I never had the need to contact them. This is in regards to the incentive they promised if we work x amount of hours. They came up 19.25 hours I came up with 20 hours.
Did you ask them how they calculated on their end? I would ask for specifics.

Old 02-26-2019, 03:29 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
And I would be careful about how I asked for specifics. Instead of framing it as their mistake, I would say something like "I'm wondering if I did something on my end that caused the wrong amount of time to be recorded" and ask for help in finding where the discrepancy is.

Old 02-26-2019, 07:32 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
*snip* I am basically working on commission, thus the flexibility. Its not like they pay me by the hour and then I just sit on my rear the entire time. *snip* I wouldnt be haggling over "bonuses" if they didnt send me weekly emails asking me to log on for 20 hours per week.
Obviously, the amount of time you work, in some way matters. Probably they were having trouble finding quality contractors who really put forth a sincere effort to work. So by giving them an incentive to plug in a minimum of 20 hours per week they hoped to instill a sence of work ethic and importance into the time spent on the job.

It doesn't seem to be working.

Old 02-27-2019, 10:10 AM

586 posts, read 831,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Obviously, the amount of time you work, in some way matters. Probably they were having trouble finding quality contractors who really put forth a sincere effort to work. So by giving them an incentive to plug in a minimum of 20 hours per week they hoped to instill a sence of work ethic and importance into the time spent on the job.

It doesn't seem to be working.
Why do you sound so cynical when you dont even know me personally outside of this forum? Having ONE rough week does not reflect my work ethic. Is your life perfect? As I stated, I am working in a position where there is no room for a career advancement, I've been paid the same rate for the past 6 years whereas cost of living is continually going up. So of course, I have the right to inquire about a bonus that they promised everyone who puts in at least 20 hours. I get paid by the minute, so in my field of work every minute counts, down to seconds. I would show you my work log on how they calculate my pay, but again its not necessary because I dont even know you personally so I DONT have to prove anything to you. You sound like one of those bosses who owns a sweatshop and pays their employees minimum wage without any benefits, and when the employees complain you get snarky with them.

And before you tell me to go find a different job if I am so unhappy, again thats not an option at the moment because my kids come first. I am not willing to travel outside for work because I want to be their primary care taker. This will come later once they all go to school. In the meantime though, it doesnt mean I have to be exploited by this company.

Old 02-27-2019, 10:21 AM

586 posts, read 831,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
And I would be careful about how I asked for specifics. Instead of framing it as their mistake, I would say something like "I'm wondering if I did something on my end that caused the wrong amount of time to be recorded" and ask for help in finding where the discrepancy is.
I didnt play the blame game. Thats exactly what I said in the email. I just want clarification on where I ended up being short. Its like looking at a receipt after you go to the store. When the cashier rings you up, it looks like something is off but then you look at the receipt in detail you can finally say "oh, I see now." Its more of a closure thing. I dont really care about the 100 bucks anymore, I will not keep pushing at it. Heck, Im not even going to care about future bonuses, its too much of a headache, but I dont think it is right for them to email people weekly asking for help and promising bonuses and when we think theres a discrepancy, we should be too afraid to ask. If this is the case, theres obviously a bad relationship between the employer and employee, if employees are too afraid to speak up for themselves and willing to take a loss instead.

Old 02-28-2019, 07:41 AM

561 posts, read 324,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAviaCA View Post
I doubt you're going to get the $100 that you think you are owed. If they come back again and say no, I'd ask how they are calculating your hours (unless they've already provided that information to you). Learn and understand how they do it so that you can make sure you don't run into this issue again. Unless you have a contract that denotes a specific end date or notification of termination requirement, your employer may decide to just cut you loose if this continues to happen. Unfortunately, that is one of the risks of being a 1099 contractor.
This.

I've worked for a few different companies and some calculate by 1/4 hour increments, some by actual minutes and some by 1/100ths of an hour. It's up to me to figure out how THEY calculate payroll so I make sure I get the hours I need. It's not their responsibility to learn how I calculate them. It sounds like you've got a great gig going so that you can provide income and still be where your kids need you. If I were you I'd call HR and ask them if they can explain how you figured it wrong so it doesn't happen again. As someone else suggested maybe there's a minimum log in time for it to count. I don't know what kind of work you do but in my job if I logged in and then logged out 10 minutes or less later it's safe to assume nothing really worthwhile got done. Or another suggestions was to make your goal 21 hours to make sure and that's probably the route I'd go. I'd personally get up early or stay up late to log in one more hour if it was the difference in $100.

Old 02-28-2019, 11:56 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
I didnt play the blame game. Thats exactly what I said in the email. I just want clarification on where I ended up being short. Its like looking at a receipt after you go to the store. When the cashier rings you up, it looks like something is off but then you look at the receipt in detail you can finally say "oh, I see now." Its more of a closure thing. I dont really care about the 100 bucks anymore, I will not keep pushing at it. Heck, Im not even going to care about future bonuses, its too much of a headache, but I dont think it is right for them to email people weekly asking for help and promising bonuses and when we think theres a discrepancy, we should be too afraid to ask. If this is the case, theres obviously a bad relationship between the employer and employee, if employees are too afraid to speak up for themselves and willing to take a loss instead.
And the only party able to clarify your question is HR/payroll not an internet forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships