Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 11:55 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,203,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
I’ve tried.... He simply doesn’t care enough about his health to eat more healthy. My friend isn’t even 50 yet and already has a list of medical issues although one he was born with that requires medication for rest of his life.

It’s like trying to train a wild bull. lol

A person who eats a poor diet is no different from an alcoholic. I do my best to not enable anyone who constantly make stupid life choices and don’t see a problem with their lifestyle when problems occur.
Excuse me, but haven't you had alcohol issues yourself?

So, I guess you have no problem with someone excluding you from a "close" friendship for that reason. Right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2019, 11:57 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by applej3 View Post
This.

OP your first statement contradicts everything else.
I don't want or need a judgmental, controlling, Food Cop for a friend.
Same here. I have lots of people in my life who do Keto, low carb or no carb diets and sometimes it's the only thing they can talk about. And they interject it into every conversation. I find myself just wanting to stay away from them. I don't have any of the health problems they lecture about from eating carbs, anyway. I'm just fine. If I want to eat a piece of bread, I will do so. That's my freedom of choice. I've had people get offended because I ate bread with my meal at a restaurant. These people need to get a life.

Old 04-07-2019, 01:50 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Would you be close friends with someone with poor eating habits?

Sure, we can be friends with each other as long as they don't judge me and try to get me to change my own habits.

Old 04-07-2019, 02:37 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I try to encourage my friends, not pass judgement on them.
This.

Without more info, the OP’s post sounds judgmental. I like healthy eating habits, but It is not my place to tell others how to live. If you are speaking about diabetics who do not eat properly, then I do understand that you would feel out of patience with someone who is scarfing down bread and cake. But if this person is someone you love, or a close friend, then I recommend simply accepting this in your friend as being beyond their ability to change.

No one, but no one, wants to continually hear about someone else’s health complaints. I think you are justified in cutting those exchanges short, unless you are hearing news about serious illness.

Old 04-07-2019, 03:20 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
In general I have a difficult time being Close friends of those of NOT like mind in just about everything. Nothing like commonality to have good healthy discussions.

Some call it judging then I'm guilty. But I'm not mean.

Old 04-07-2019, 03:25 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,664,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Same here. I have lots of people in my life who do Keto, low carb or no carb diets and sometimes it's the only thing they can talk about. And they interject it into every conversation. I find myself just wanting to stay away from them. I don't have any of the health problems they lecture about from eating carbs, anyway. I'm just fine. If I want to eat a piece of bread, I will do so. That's my freedom of choice. I've had people get offended because I ate bread with my meal at a restaurant. These people need to get a life.
Exactly!

Old 04-07-2019, 03:26 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,664,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
In general I have a difficult time being Close friends of those of NOT like mind in just about everything. Nothing like commonality to have good healthy discussions.

Some call it judging then I'm guilty. But I'm not mean.
Wow!

Old 04-07-2019, 03:39 PM

Do you care to explain the Wow!

I find hanging with toxic people adds toxic to my life.

Old 04-07-2019, 03:39 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
Wow!
Agree. Leaving preachy and judgmental out of it, seems quite dull having no one other than the reflection in a mirror around to spend time with.

Old 04-07-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Agree. Leaving preachy and judgmental out of it, seems quite dull having no one other than the reflection in a mirror around to spend time with.
Dull, I find so many boring and dull people, I've got to hang with them? At this late date in my life it's a right to pick and choose after years of picking and weeding out those who can drain the life that's left in one. Granted I'm the oldest here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships