Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 08:41 AM

2 posts, read 2,915 times

Advertisements

I'm a college student, and I don’t have a lot of close friends because I’m pretty introverted and haven’t had a lot of time to hang out with friends this semester because of school. But this weekend was my a cappella concerts, which are a pretty big deal for me since they only happen once a semester and hours and hours of rehearsal go into preparing for it. I invited four of my friends in advance, with all of them paying for tickets and telling me they would come. I was really excited and even volunteered for ticketing because I wanted to greet them at the door, but by the time our opener was performing, no one had showed up. I had even texted one of my friends (my roommate) 30 minutes before and he confirmed he was going to make it, then said that “something came up” after the show started. I was pretty much on the verge of tears backstage minutes before I had to go out and sing... I would have been understanding if they had told me in advance that they couldn’t make it, and some of them had seen the group perform before so I’d get it if they didn’t want to come again. Even if they were busy on saturday night, we had a friday night show as well that they could have come to. I wouldn't even have minded if they came late because seeing them in the audience would have made me so happy. Luckily, my boyfriend came both nights so I at least I had one person there supporting me.

This isn’t the first time some of these people have bailed on me with bad excuses, and at this point i’m not sure if it’s better to have ****ty friends or no friends at all. Am I just being too emotional about this or should I be upset? One of them is my roommate and I don’t want to ruin our relationship over this but I was really hurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2019, 09:23 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benivor2 View Post
I'm a college student, and I don’t have a lot of close friends because I’m pretty introverted and haven’t had a lot of time to hang out with friends this semester because of school. But this weekend was my a cappella concerts, which are a pretty big deal for me since they only happen once a semester and hours and hours of rehearsal go into preparing for it. I invited four of my friends in advance, with all of them paying for tickets and telling me they would come. I was really excited and even volunteered for ticketing because I wanted to greet them at the door, but by the time our opener was performing, no one had showed up. I had even texted one of my friends (my roommate) 30 minutes before and he confirmed he was going to make it, then said that “something came up” after the show started. I was pretty much on the verge of tears backstage minutes before I had to go out and sing... I would have been understanding if they had told me in advance that they couldn’t make it, and some of them had seen the group perform before so I’d get it if they didn’t want to come again. Even if they were busy on saturday night, we had a friday night show as well that they could have come to. I wouldn't even have minded if they came late because seeing them in the audience would have made me so happy. Luckily, my boyfriend came both nights so I at least I had one person there supporting me.

This isn’t the first time some of these people have bailed on me with bad excuses, and at this point i’m not sure if it’s better to have ****ty friends or no friends at all. Am I just being too emotional about this or should I be upset? One of them is my roommate and I don’t want to ruin our relationship over this but I was really hurt.
What did your roommate say happened when you got back that night?

Sorry this happened. I have to say it's kind of typical for college students. I understand how it must have felt in that moment.

If I were you, though, I would try to look at it as a series of unfortunate coincidences, rather than as complete and total abandonment. Focus on the folks who were there, and be happy that you have passed this milestone even without their presence.

Old 04-22-2019, 09:40 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
What did your roommate say happened when you got back that night?

Sorry this happened. I have to say it's kind of typical for college students. I understand how it must have felt in that moment.

If I were you, though, I would try to look at it as a series of unfortunate coincidences, rather than as complete and total abandonment. Focus on the folks who were there, and be happy that you have passed this milestone even without their presence.

This is the grown-up way to be. That said...since these friends have done this before, speaking for myself...emotionally, I'd write them off. Especially if they don't reach out to you and explain what happened.

If it were me, knowing MY emotional make-up, I'd be 'done' with them.

Old 04-22-2019, 09:55 AM

2 posts, read 2,915 times
He said that it was because his girlfriend (who he was supposed to come to the concert with) got really sick that day and he was going to come alone but didn't want to leave her alone. I honestly don't even know if this is just an excuse he's making up because he didn't even say that she was sick before, just that "something came up."

Also, if I were sick and my boyfriend had an event to go to or another obligation, I wouldn't stop him from going just to take care of me...

But thanks, I'll try not too put too much weight on this incident and just be more aware about how they treat me.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:01 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
See if it's a one time thing or if a pattern develops then you will know their true intentions.

Old 04-22-2019, 11:19 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Sorry OP. I love a cappella, would have attended!

Old 04-22-2019, 11:26 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,081,779 times
These people are NOT your friends.

It doesn't mean you have to shun them or abandon the "friendship", but just recognize it for what it is and act accordingly.

In times of stress, even moderately so, you find out who your true friends really are. Usually it is not who you think of.

Old 04-22-2019, 11:41 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
I agree it's sad you were counting on them and they basically lied about being willing to go.

But maybe next time, you can invite people who you know enjoy a cappella music? It's something that not everyone would choose to attend in their free time.

By your admission, you haven't had time to be with them because you're busy with your studies - so maybe they're not close enough friends to attend something for you "as a favor"?

I'm sorry you got hurt -

Old 04-22-2019, 11:48 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I agree it's sad you were counting on them and they basically lied about being willing to go.
They lied to the extent of buying tickets.

That's weird.

Old 04-22-2019, 12:03 PM

6,808 posts, read 4,246,943 times
How much were those tickets? People probably wouldn’t spend 30 bucks just to avoid saying no, but 5 to 10 bucks I could see. Surprisingly a lot of people 100% prefer the last minute cancellation under pretense over an outright no. After all the latter invites a conversation about the reasons while the former may trigger suspicions but at face value leaves them blameless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships