Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 03:06 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,245,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Darn right! I live in a really nice apt complex consisting of about 400 units ...

Let's just stop there since you have no business talking about what is best for a neighborhood of single family homes.

Old 05-12-2019, 03:07 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,663,044 times
I perceive it as low-class, mainly because the garage is not a living area - and if you are hanging out in a storage area, it just seems odd.

I understand why people hang out on porches - that's what most porches are for - or at least, will accommodate.

And most people having living or family rooms, so if you're going to have company or hang out with people, that would seem like the places to do that.

Garages don't have comfy furniture - I think the only reason to hang out in a garage, by some people, might be to smoke - since smoking is probably not allowed in the house.

Aside from that, maybe a ping-pong table, a foos ball table, or whatever - but just going to the garage to socialize - and to talk to neighbors? (I don't even understand how you would do that because most garages are quite far from the sidewalk - are people yelling at others as they walk by?)

Old 05-12-2019, 03:09 PM

24,631 posts, read 10,958,690 times
Oh Happs, are you and your imaginary friend running out of first world problems? Just walk over and ask for a beer.

Old 05-12-2019, 03:16 PM

19,435 posts, read 15,271,628 times
I wish I had a garage to hang out in.

Old 05-12-2019, 03:40 PM

23,346 posts, read 18,930,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I understand why people hang out on porches - that's what most porches are for - or at least, will accommodate.
Somewhere I read about the demise of the front porch in home design trends. Thousands of neighborhood houses don't have them at all or they are nothing more than an entryway framing the door; family activities shifted to the backyard deck for privacy and exclusivity. However, if you like interacting with neighbors that isn't too conducive without inviting them to an actual event. A lot more hassle and no spontaneity. If the house had a porch I'd bet those garage dwellers would be sitting on it doing exactly the same things.

Look at garage sitting this way. It's classier than the curbside/lawn sofa!

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-12-2019 at 04:36 PM..

Old 05-12-2019, 03:45 PM

468 posts, read 357,365 times
When I lived in Palm Beach County Florida there were quite a few super nice people with nice well kept homes who hung out and even entertained neighbors and friends in their garage area..

Like this couple here

"The couple were known to welcome neighbors into their garage hangout, where they had a sofa, TV and minibar."

'Two of the most special people': Slain Jupiter couple warmly remembered during ceremony

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/b...819-story.html

https://www.tcpalm.com/story/news/cr...ing/309479002/

Old 05-12-2019, 04:27 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,472,584 times
Hey! Garage bands had to start somewhere!

That garage was just as much a social hang out as a lawn/car storage.

We loved having the old garage door open on a rainy evening and gathering the lawn chairs to watch the evening storm.

Sure uncle Fred hid in the Garage to avoid aunt Sallys rants. He spent many a day yelling...yes dear!

Our one neighbor in the cold of winter is at the garage grilling up something delicious! We love it.

Old 05-12-2019, 04:38 PM

468 posts, read 357,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Hey! Garage bands had to start somewhere!
Absolutely.

The media giant that the Walt Disney company is today, had a very humble beginning. Walt Disney and his brother Roy started filming Alice Comedies, part of Alice's Wonderland, in their uncle's garage in Los Angeles back in 1923.

Here Are 10 Of The World’s Biggest Companies That Were Started In A Garage

https://www.scoopwhoop.com/10-bigges...ge/#.kw225ilg4

Old 05-12-2019, 04:41 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,589,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post

I gotta ask this question after reading any number of threads started by you: Do you actually devote mental energy to these questions?
I think this is a very good thread and interesting question with cultural, sociological, and psychological factors, ideas about neighborhoods, about neighborliness, architectural facets of houses and home design, loneliness, interacting with people, modern life.

Old 05-12-2019, 04:45 PM

50,884 posts, read 36,586,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I perceive it as low-class, mainly because the garage is not a living area - and if you are hanging out in a storage area, it just seems odd.

And most people having living or family rooms, so if you're going to have company or hang out with people, that would seem like the places to do that.

Garages don't have comfy furniture - I think the only reason to hang out in a garage, by some people, might be to smoke - since smoking is probably not allowed in the house.

Aside from that, maybe a ping-pong table, a foos ball table, or whatever - but just going to the garage to socialize - and to talk to neighbors? (I don't even understand how you would do that because most garages are quite far from the sidewalk - are people yelling at others as they walk by?)
My honey is always in the garage. First off we did t smoke in the house but go out there to smoke, and I’m sure many others do the same. We open the door to let out smoke, and then our neighbor sees door open, and comes by to talk guy stuff with my honey. They might stay in there for quite some tome so as not to disturb me watching tv. I don’t understand your viewpoint at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology