Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 04:07 PM

1,166 posts, read 877,028 times

Advertisements

There are lots of people I've come across in life that seem to think if they voice their opinion, and you say that you don't agree with them, that you're automatically trying to start and argument and try to shut down the conversation.

You can't expect to say your piece and have everyone else shut up and simply nod their heads in agreement. IMO, if you put your opinion on blast, you have every right to have it questioned and disagreed with. Don't like it, don't put your opinion out there. If you've got the right to say whatever you want, so do I.

People like this are the worst because they think they are better than everyone else. "I can say how I feel, but don't you dare disagree with me or even speak a contrary word". They think that the world revolves around them and nobody has the right to voice disagreement, but they can as much as they want.

I'm willing to hear anyone else out, discuss anything, and keep the conversation going at whatever costs, because if an idea is brought up in conversation, IMO they are asking for the feedback of others. And if that's not what you're asking for you shouldn't even bother voicing your opinion if you can't hand dissenters. I've ran across several users on here that do the same thing.

I will not be shut down because some POS thinks they have the right to monopolize a conversation and decide what others can and can't say. I get a kick out of putting people like this in their place honestly, because that's exactly what they deserve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 04:20 PM

11,797 posts, read 12,035,581 times
Your post history demonstrates a rather combative personality.

Why is that?

Old 10-01-2019, 04:42 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
You can't expect to say your piece and have everyone else shut up and simply nod their heads in agreement. IMO, if you put your opinion on blast, you have every right to have it questioned and disagreed with. Don't like it, don't put your opinion out there. If you've got the right to say whatever you want, so do I.
Hate to tell you, jimbo, but that's the definition of "argument."

Quote:
People like this are the worst because they think they are better than everyone else.
And this is the pot calling the kettle black.

Old 10-01-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Hate to tell you, jimbo, but that's the definition of "argument."

And this is the pot calling the kettle black.
Is there nothing to be gained in a conversation from stating opposing viewpoints?

IMO, an argument is when it's gone beyond the initial topic of discussion and has devolved into name calling and off topic insults. It is possible to discuss things without them becoming heated or personal, and to stay on topic

So what is a person supposed to do when someone else says something they vehemently disagree with? Keep your mouth shut? Why is voicing any disagreement an "argument" in your opinion? Where does a normal conversation end and an argument start?

People like you are exactly the types I'm talking about. You want to dismiss any contrary viewpoint stated to yours as "trying to start an argument" and see little value in conversation with people who disagree with you.

And where did I say I was better than anyone else? You've proven my point for me, congratulations. You've attempted to turn a normal conversation into an argument because I said something you don't agree with, and have already resorted to name calling and snarky comments instead of actual discussion.

Old 10-01-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katnan View Post
Your post history demonstrates a rather combative personality.

Why is that?
I wouldn't say I'm combative, I just like discussing things that normal people simply accept or don't question in their day to day lives, and that bothers a lot of people.

Old 10-01-2019, 05:11 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,883,162 times
Quote:
I wouldn't say I'm combative, I just like discussing things that normal people simply accept or don't question in their day to day lives, and that bothers a lot of people.
I, and many others don't agree with your statement. And to prove me correct you'll combat mine.

Old 10-01-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
I, and many others don't agree with your statement. And to prove me correct you'll combat mine.
The word "combat" implies some form of hostility.

I have no hostility towards the people that disagree with me. In fact, I like hearing why they feel the way they do so I can better understand their thought process and to find more talking points to bolster my own ideas in future conversations.

And yes, I have had conversations with people I disagreed with that made me rethink things and has made me change my opinion. It's rare for this to happen in conversation, but it is possible.

People on this forum, and in day to day life, seem to not be able to differentiate between a productive discussion and drop down, drag out, name calling arguments and seek to label them all the same.

Old 10-01-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't say I'm combative...
Of course YOU wouldn't say you're combative.

But you are. Most every post you make here has a combative, aggressive tone.

That's why YOU can't have a simple conversation discussing opposing viewpoints.

Old 10-01-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:

And where did I say I was better than anyone else? You've proven my point for me, congratulations. You've attempted to turn a normal conversation into an argument because I said something you don't agree with, and have already resorted to name calling and snarky comments instead of actual discussion.
LOL how can you not know you're being such a hypocrite? This ^^ is pure snark.

And this?

Quote:
I will not be shut down because some POS thinks they have the right to monopolize a conversation and decide what others can and can't say. I get a kick out of putting people like this in their place honestly, because that's exactly what they deserve.
Quite the peaceful statement.

GTFO with this mess, jimmy. You can't even practice what you preach.

Old 10-01-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Of course YOU wouldn't say you're combative.

But you are. Most every post you make here has a combative, aggressive tone.

That's why YOU can't have a simple conversation discussing opposing viewpoints.

I can't have a simple conversation because whenever someone voices a differing opinion, the other person attempts to shut down the conversation, thinking they are above being questioned or having their viewpoints challenged.

And because of people like you who label any disagreement as "trying to start an argument". Hence why this thread exists. And you keep proving my point time and time again with your dismissive non-answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships