Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2020, 04:56 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,231,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Would you consider it rude for a Facebook "friend" to undercut a post of yours? For instance, let's say you're ranting about something, maybe half in jest, and the comment is "I have never had any problem with that," or "we should emphasize the positive" or some other buzzkill response suggesting that you're overreacting or are being a complainer. Isn't the proper response to just join in the spirit of the rant and play along with it?

The person is question is a repeat offender.
If you put a rant or complaint out there, you need to understand some people will nit agree. And it is a free country. They are allowed to disagree. I don’t condone rudeness, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2020, 04:59 PM

37,702 posts, read 46,121,679 times
Quote:
Would you consider it rude for a Facebook "friend" to undercut a post of yours? For instance, let's say you're ranting about something, maybe half in jest, and the comment is "I have never had any problem with that," or "we should emphasize the positive" or some other buzzkill response suggesting that you're overreacting or are being a complainer. Isn't the proper response to just join in the spirit of the rant and play along with it?

The person is question is a repeat offender.
Nah. I never join in if I think the person is being wacko. I'll call them out. Of course, this is just my family and friends on my FB page so they know what to expect.

I seem to be doing more of this lately.

Old 04-28-2020, 05:15 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,596,635 times
If you are having a true problem and sincerely discuss or even complain about it, then yes, those responses would be rude. On the other hand if you are in the habit of complaining about trivialities, then it is expected that someone might get tired of it and give you the brush.

Old 04-28-2020, 05:18 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,092,445 times
I am politically independent with mixed views, but am so glad that FB is finally this year, actually checking and deleting thousands of posted memes that are proven false. Like saying that Pope Francis was supporting the 2016 Trump campaign. And the supposed history of democrats changes to the social security system (the official Soc.Sec. admin. website says its all false, and yet idiots keep circulating it millions of times for the past 11 years). It undermines democracy if millions vote based on lies.

Old 04-29-2020, 11:46 AM

18,760 posts, read 11,820,202 times
Well my thought is if you don't want to hear other opinions about something that might be controversial, don't put it out there. I keep my feed family friendly on Facebook, and the gloves are off here in the political. It's a nice balance.

Old 04-29-2020, 11:49 AM

22,062 posts, read 13,079,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Well my thought is if you don't want to hear other opinions about something that might be controversial, don't put it out there. I keep my feed family friendly on Facebook, and the gloves are off here in the political. It's a nice balance.
It wasn't "controversial" or "political"; it was on the level of "don't you hate it when such and such happens" (example) and the reply was "I never have that problem" (example).

Old 04-29-2020, 12:15 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,102,459 times
Quote:
It wasn't "controversial" or "political"; it was on the level of "don't you hate it when such and such happens" (example) and the reply was "I never have that problem" (example).

I think, given the example above, when a respondent says they don't have that problem it's their way of telling the complainer that they think the complainer is complaining too much about trivialities and is making a mountain out of a molehill.

Old 04-29-2020, 12:29 PM

795 posts, read 486,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
I am politically independent with mixed views, but am so glad that FB is finally this year, actually checking and deleting thousands of posted memes that are proven false. Like saying that Pope Francis was supporting the 2016 Trump campaign. And the supposed history of democrats changes to the social security system (the official Soc.Sec. admin. website says its all false, and yet idiots keep circulating it millions of times for the past 11 years). It undermines democracy if millions vote based on lies.

The scary thing is, I'm sure MANY people vote for whoever and whichever party, based solely on Facebook information... With no regard to actually check up on factual information. That is scary.

I deactivated my Facebook account, and am so much happier for having done that.

Facebook is a place where many people like to go to 'see themselves talk' (because they type and post, or post photos, memes etc.) to receive likes and comments, without really having meaningful connections. Many like to brag, complain, correct others, be praised, etc. These things get tiring quickly, whether it's bragging, complaining or correcting someone. I can understand both sides of this "conundrum". It is your profile, you can post what you want, but you also have to realize that Facebook allows for comments on what you put out there (and those comments will run the gamut from nice to nasty).

If someone has a social media account and complains a lot, people are going to say something to (try to) end the complaint/getting tired of the complaints or delete the person. If someone corrects everything/becomes critical of things people put on Facebook, people get tired of that too so they will either be blocked, told to stop or something similar.

It's all really stupid to be honest, I'm not saying that to undermine your problem. I feel Facebook causes more trouble than it's worth.

If the person is 'undermining' as you say it, take at look OBJECTIVELY at each online event. Does what your putting on there come off as you constantly complaining to receive attention, or just posting light hearted things to relieve tension. You can ignore their comments, people do notice that, ask them to unfollow you, or maybe tell that person POLITELY (fights shouldn't be started over things like Facebook), that them correcting everything you put out there is upsetting you. Be prepared, they may say what you are putting out there upsets them, and that's why they comment. Both sides have the freedom of speech that comes with the territory of social media..

I respect those who use Facebook modestly for keeping in touch, and uplifting others. Most do not do either of these things.

Either way, I hope this works itself out POSITIVELY for you.. Always stay respectful.

Last edited by CinderFella7; 04-29-2020 at 12:38 PM..

Old 04-29-2020, 12:30 PM

11,816 posts, read 12,064,161 times
Quote:
I have an acquaintance like that who takes a blunt and contrary stance on most things, not really sure for what purpose. It's easier just to ignore it.

Similar but different, I have a relative who puts a positive spin on everything, to the point that it is annoying because her cheerfulness often minimizes someone else's hardship, as if they're not allowed to go through a rough time or express stress, fear or sadness. "Cheer up, it could be worse" is a crappy thing to say to someone struggling, as if their worries aren't valid because they're not as severe as someone else's.

Old 04-29-2020, 12:39 PM

22,062 posts, read 13,079,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I think, given the example above, when a respondent says they don't have that problem it's their way of telling the complainer that they think the complainer is complaining too much about trivialities and is making a mountain out of a molehill.

I think so, too, in which case that is RUDE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships