Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2020, 07:03 AM

654 posts, read 365,122 times

Advertisements

If you wrote to Dear Abby (or another advice columnist) about a rough situation between you and a friend, and Dear Abby answered, saying that you were well-meaning but stupid, and your friend was at fault, would you forward the column to the friend?

I have had a mess with a friend (if we're still friends). I tried to be helpful, and the friend is honest and well-intentioned, but the friend has basically ignored all of the damage to me that the friend has caused.

I wrote to a national advice column and received the response described above. The comments that readers made, on the website, are even harsher: that I was a complete idiot for trying to help, and the friend is evil.

Would you forward the column?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2020, 07:44 AM

16,080 posts, read 21,181,230 times
What's your motive for sending it? Would it solve anything, help mend the relationship, what?
Or do you just want to say "I told you so" to your 'friend'?
Personally I would not send it.

Old 04-02-2020, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
What's your motive for sending it? Would it solve anything, help mend the relationship, what?
Or do you just want to say "I told you so" to your 'friend'?
Personally I would not send it.

The friend owes me a lot of money and nonpayment is the damage caused. The advice says that the situation is no joke and that I should pursue the friend to recover payment.

The advice column would just show an impartial (I think) view of the situation, and maybe the friend would realize what a mess this is.

Old 04-02-2020, 08:11 AM

16,080 posts, read 21,181,230 times
Well, you certainly left a LOT of important information out of your first post. You are the only one who can decide if the friendship is worth more to you than the money is. If I were in your situation I think I'd consider the 'friendship' over and take the necessary action to get my money back, but I'm kind of a hard*** that way.

Old 04-02-2020, 08:22 AM

I'd rather have the money than the friendship, definitely.

Old 04-02-2020, 08:28 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,638,473 times
You really have been vague in giving details, so this is based on little information.

Someone who doesn't pay a debt isn't going to take it more seriously by showing them a column with people backing you. Most people loathe borrowing money and want to pay it back as quickly as possible. But there are some who view it as their money the minute it hits their hand and no matter what you do, you're not likely to get it back. This is why I tell people that if you're going to loan someone money, do so with the expectation that you'll never see it again. If that's okay with you - then lend them the money.

You're planning on doing something to make yourself feel better, but it's not going to move the issue forward in having you repaid.

Last edited by MPowering1; 04-02-2020 at 08:38 AM..

Old 04-02-2020, 09:25 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,883,461 times
My experience with people that don't pay back... They don't care. And more likely they'd use that article to not pay up because you made them look bad or whatever

I don't know how much you lended to the person, but you could see about taking them to small claims court.

Old 04-02-2020, 09:30 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,027,389 times
There is no way a Dear Abby column will have your desired effect.

Old 04-02-2020, 09:32 AM

13,261 posts, read 8,041,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
My experience with people that don't pay back... They don't care. And more likely they'd use that article to not pay up because you made them look bad or whatever

I don't know how much you lended to the person, but you could see about taking them to small claims court.

That's what I was going to suggest too.

If you have to send this friend ANYTHING, send him/her a letter saying they have to such and such a date to pay you the money, or you will take them to small claims court.

Old 04-02-2020, 09:36 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,008,529 times
If you care more about the money than the friend, and you'e already tried talking to the friend to no avail, then small claims court is the next step. Not a forwarded advice column.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships