Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2020, 01:12 PM

2,123 posts, read 1,471,807 times

Advertisements

I have been on fb maybe 8 years or so. I generally post generic posts, a picture of us hiking in the forest titled "beautiful scenery, wonderful hike" things like that and would spend hours scrolling down other peoples posts "like" "like" "like" "like" and it would take up to several hours of my evening the 3 days a week I did it. Finally I made a post with a Christmas picture several months ago and wished folks a happy 2020 and that I would be off fb for awhile to tend to a huge project at work (this was and still is the truth). I have not gone back since. The freedom I feel is incredible. I would love to see fb as more of a web page of people about their families and lives with occasional updates. But the endless posting and ranting takes a lot of time to read and respond to. Some folks posts are cute or interesting but then you get sucked into the other lengthy and emotional stuff. I just can't do it anymore. I have too many other things to do and I love the freedom to spend my evening doing things I need or want to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2020, 03:44 PM

22,062 posts, read 13,099,306 times
Here's another one: it's now horribly hot and humid here. I'm not a fan of that kind of weather, as most of my "friends" know. I post a related humorous meme. Some others chime in about how uncomfortable it is, and I commiserate. Then someone posts, "I've been out walking or hiking every day." That sort of thing. Am I being hypersensitive?

Old 05-24-2020, 04:06 PM

18,234 posts, read 15,782,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I post a related humorous meme. Some others chime in about how uncomfortable it is, and I commiserate. Then someone posts, "I've been out walking or hiking every day." That sort of thing. Am I being hypersensitive?
Possibly. People love to put in their $.02 and some like to show they're different. I'd venture a guess that most people have experienced what you're describing. I know I have.

Assuming you're not going to unfriend the individual, there are 3 remaining choices:

- ignore those comments
- respond to the comments
- make that individual "restricted" on your friend list if this is occurring on FB, & they'll only see the things you post that are public

Old 05-24-2020, 06:20 PM

15,158 posts, read 27,864,435 times
Quote:
Here's another one: it's now horribly hot and humid here. I'm not a fan of that kind of weather, as most of my "friends" know. I post a related humorous meme. Some others chime in about how uncomfortable it is, and I commiserate. Then someone posts, "I've been out walking or hiking every day." That sort of thing. Am I being hypersensitive?
Yes!! What you don't personally like doesn't mean others need to.

Old 05-24-2020, 06:34 PM

22,062 posts, read 13,099,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Yes!! What you don't personally like doesn't mean others need to.
That's not the point. It's like a deliberate sort of tone-deafness. .

Old 05-24-2020, 07:06 PM

28,975 posts, read 30,351,004 times
Quote:
Would you consider it rude for a Facebook "friend" to undercut a post of yours? For instance, let's say you're ranting about something, maybe half in jest, and the comment is "I have never had any problem with that," or "we should emphasize the positive" or some other buzzkill response suggesting that you're overreacting or are being a complainer. Isn't the proper response to just join in the spirit of the rant and play along with it?

The person is question is a repeat offender.
this is a most difficult time for everyone, repeated offender or not, no, it is wrong, especially if it's your FB page....however, people are upset, tramatized and scared....some have relatives who are in a weakened state, some have children working in the medical field...just the other day a much loved cousin's wife went off on me, and it had nothing to do with what we were discussing, it just hit a chord, she's been thru hell and back for over a year with her husband...almost lost him, and has a daughter who is taking care of 3 covid cases that are children...so...she gets a free card past go...and she has never done that before....

what I'm saying is maybe try to defuse situations by being a bit more positive and not discussing issues that you know my upset people...it's a really tough time right now.

Old 05-24-2020, 07:28 PM

11,817 posts, read 12,070,293 times
Quote:
I think the examples in your OP and this one are completely different. This one is a simple matter of different preferences, imo.

Old 05-24-2020, 08:14 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,268,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I don't get it either.

Right?

FB is for my mom's age, 70. Lol.

Quote:
Only everyone I know... I guess "the cool kids" have moved on to something else!
Theyre called Instagram, Snapchat, Discord etc etc etc

Old 05-24-2020, 08:47 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,665,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Right?

FB is for my mom's age, 70. Lol.

Theyre called Instagram, Snapchat, Discord etc etc etc

Hey, young whippersnapper - I'm not much younger than your mom. I'm just anti-social media other than LinkedIn, which is declining.

Don't you have pictures of food you need to take or something?

Old 05-25-2020, 08:48 AM

28,975 posts, read 30,351,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaYa6119 View Post
I have a sister that does this. She annoys me to no end. She follows me around and anytime I comment on anything of anyone else's, she has to add a comment too. Or if I post something, she'll either laugh at me about it or post something obnoxious. I hid my posts from her for a long time and when she figured it out, she got really upset with me. Consequently, I really don't post much on fb anymore. I don't feel free to say what I want.
my cousin used to do that...it is so annoying, she would go into my friends list and send friend requests to people she didn't really even know...always correcting me....and finally I blocked her..and cut her out of my life, there is no reason to act like that or treat someone so disrespectfully. Once I was having a conversation with someone, on FB and she said, do you know that is so and so sister, your corresponding with, I said, "yeah, so?" She was watching me, very very creepy.

Hope things get better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships