Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2020, 07:41 AM

1,679 posts, read 1,799,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkertinker View Post
I am cutting him some slack. An hour after I posted this thread, he texted me and apologized saying that as soon as Biden won he hit the streets. So looks like his emotions went overtime. This is also the first time he has ever done this. Because he reached out on his own accord and was apologetic, I don't have an issue with it anymore. However, since he is the one that did not go through with the plans, I will let him be the one that takes the charge of rescheduling.

As for the person criticizing about using text, wtf? Haha.

Thanks everyone.

Great to hear.

Admittedly as a younger man I find texting overkill and outrageous-often times. I'd prefer to speak with the person oppose to texting. It's lazy for the most part and useful on the other hand.

Simply convenient..true; yet often overused!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2020, 08:10 AM

6,325 posts, read 4,243,064 times
Quote:
I am cutting him some slack. An hour after I posted this thread, he texted me and apologized saying that as soon as Biden won he hit the streets. So looks like his emotions went overtime. This is also the first time he has ever done this. Because he reached out on his own accord and was apologetic, I don't have an issue with it anymore. However, since he is the one that did not go through with the plans, I will let him be the one that takes the charge of rescheduling.

Thanks everyone.
Glad he reached out and apologized. I agree that you should let him reschedule. The lesson from this is it’s best not to make ambiguous plans with him but have a specific time or accept that if you set ambiguous plans not to hang around waiting and waiting.

Old 11-08-2020, 10:41 AM

3,057 posts, read 2,948,382 times
Quote:
I find it hard to believe as excited as one would be about the win (I mean I was crazy excited) that you would completely forget that you had plans with someone?
He probably could have done that and probably should have. But people make mistakes; from my limited perspective it didn't seem intentional. I would forgive and forget. Something small like that shouldn't cause a lingering hang-up in a relationship.

We're just not perfect creatures. Our minds jump from one thing to the next (and the excitement of the election announcement compounded that for your friend) and before you know it, it's 10pm and oh my gosh I forgot all about how I was supposed to meet with my friend. How stupid can I be. He probably feels like an idiot. I would cut him some slack. We all make mistakes and are prone to forget when we shouldn't.

Quote:

Thanks everyone.
Good deal. I agree, the ball's in his court now : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
Admittedly as a younger man I find texting overkill and outrageous-often times. I'd prefer to speak with the person oppose to texting. It's lazy for the most part and useful on the other hand.

Simply convenient..true; yet often overused!
I'm middle-aged, but I hate talking on the phone. I actually compare texting with the old-fashioned telegraphs; except much faster, of course. And not tied to a wire. I feel like we've taken a step back when we've reverted to the written as opposed to spoken word (except of course you don't have to wait for as long as you did to get the message). I like it much better!

Old 11-08-2020, 11:30 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,744,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
He probably could have done that and probably should have. But people make mistakes; from my limited perspective it didn't seem intentional. I would forgive and forget. Something small like that shouldn't cause a lingering hang-up in a relationship.

We're just not perfect creatures. Our minds jump from one thing to the next (and the excitement of the election announcement compounded that for your friend) and before you know it, it's 10pm and oh my gosh I forgot all about how I was supposed to meet with my friend. How stupid can I be. He probably feels like an idiot. I would cut him some slack. We all make mistakes and are prone to forget when we shouldn't.

Good deal. I agree, the ball's in his court now : )

I'm middle-aged, but I hate talking on the phone. I actually compare texting with the old-fashioned telegraphs; except much faster, of course. And not tied to a wire. I feel like we've taken a step back when we've reverted to the written as opposed to spoken word (except of course you don't have to wait for as long as you did to get the message). I like it much better!
Same. I adopted texting as soon as it became available as I have always hated talking on the phone. That’s not to say I wouldn’t call someone up to confirm when we are set to meet, but I almost never call anyone just to chat.

Plus, in this case, it seems like he did honestly lose track of the time. It happens from time to time.

Old 11-08-2020, 11:52 AM

6,978 posts, read 4,993,605 times
We love our friends in spite of their imperfections, not because of them.

As it was he acknowledged his faux pas and all is well again.

Everyone is entitled to a few mistakes. Habitual offenses is a different matter.

Old 11-08-2020, 07:55 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,260,564 times
I am glad it got a positive resolution!

Old 11-09-2020, 09:32 AM

12,825 posts, read 15,122,323 times
Quote:

Thanks everyone.

OK, I guess he got sidetracked & completely forgot, so no harm done. BUT, before you posted your update, I'd be a little upset too. Announcement of the president or not, it's not like he's some child w/ a one-tracked mind. He should remember that he made plans w/ you. Does he remember important to-do's at work? Probably so, but oh well, it's over now.

Old 11-09-2020, 11:28 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,248,424 times
Well that’s a Biden supporter for you, only thinking about his happiness and everyone can just not count. (Sorry I had to go for it)

Old 11-09-2020, 11:53 AM

102,340 posts, read 108,588,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I think the real problem is the texting. I think instead of texting him you should have phoned him to speak to him directly, and I think when you didn't get a response back to your text that you should have phoned him then too. Texting isn't proper communication and it's lazy. So is there a reason why the two of you don't actually talk to each other on the phone?
This. 100%. I have no doubt, that if you'd phoned him, things would have played out differently. Even after texting and not getting a response, you could have phoned him after the announcement of Biden's win, to share your excitement, and then ask, "By the way, are we doing that walk today?"

Old 11-09-2020, 11:54 AM

102,340 posts, read 108,588,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
OK, I guess he got sidetracked & completely forgot, so no harm done. BUT, before you posted your update, I'd be a little upset too. Announcement of the president or not, it's not like he's some child w/ a one-tracked mind. He should remember that he made plans w/ you. Does he remember important to-do's at work? Probably so, but oh well, it's over now.
Honestly, I don't know how he could have forgotten, having received a text from the OP more or less an hour prior to the big news. A text he left unanswered from the start, for unknown reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships