Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 10:18 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times

Advertisements

I actually enjoy being around people. I am a total social butterfly! I have a lot of friends - not acquaintances - FRIENDS, and I enjoy their company very much. However, I also value my alone time. I like myself and am quite comfortable just being alone. But - if there's a party ... I'm there! Quick - hide the lampshade!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 12:30 AM

390 posts, read 905,167 times
Well, I have been at my job for 13 years (Telephone Operator) and I remember when my boss interviewed me 13 years ago, she asked me why I think I would be well suited for the job. One of my answers was beacause I loved people. I loved helping them, talking to them, listening to them..blah blah blah. Well I have to tell you, if I were to have that same interview now, I would get thrown out on my ear, as I wouldn't have a whole lotta nice things to say about ppl, well, customers actually.
My personal life I have prob. 10 really close friends, whom I adore and many many aquantances.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:30 AM

664 posts, read 773,760 times
No, people are stupid. I hate stupid people.

Old 04-25-2009, 01:06 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,433,444 times
I have a good family support and a few very tight friends (very few). Usually I am very happy being all alone spending my time as I want to. Sometimes I get annoyed when people try to take away my time and do what they want. Basically, I don't feel lonely ever, but sometimes I do get bored. This is the reason sometimes I get involved in other people's lives, just to occupy my mind.

Old 04-25-2009, 01:20 AM

219 posts, read 736,483 times
Default Hubby is my best friend

I don't have time for friends I spend every minute
With my husband, and I am not willing to take
Time from my husband to hang with others that
Could cause trouble. My husband is my best friend
And that is all I need, we have other couples that we
Have had over for a BBQ but I don’t hang with them
With out their spouse and my hubby.
And I have Nine sister so no need to have lots
of girl friends I already have 9 of them!

Old 04-25-2009, 04:40 PM

182 posts, read 503,012 times
It depends how you prepare them.

The more I'm around people, the less I want to be around people.

Old 04-25-2009, 04:58 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,548,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson4381 View Post
Please don't be mean to me for saying I don't like people. I'm just trying to be honest.
I'm with you. I know a lot of people, there are very few I want to be around for extended periods of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn311601 View Post
No, people are stupid. I hate stupid people.
See, someone told me it was arrogant to say that I'm surrounded by idiots. I told her it doesn't mean I think I'm brilliant. It means they're really idiots.

I'll end that by saying this is a generalized statement about society in general. They are not all idiots.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:16 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
I love people and have lots of different kinds of relationships with them. The people I like most are those I trust the most, but I even don't mind passing an hour or two with someone I don't trust/don't like. I enjoy hearing different perspectives about things, so I can put up with just about anyone for a little while just to get their take on how things are going in the world.

My dad was like this too, and from all accounts, so was his dad. My 7-year-old seems to have inherited the same quality. At the playground today, she ran into several girls she knows from school -- ranging in ages from kindergarten to fourth grade (she's a first grader). My wife teaches middle school, and at the beginning of the year, a bunch of her new students said, oh you're X's mom! We were scratching our heads because our daughter was in kindergarten ... these girls were in 5th grade. How the h*** did they know her? They just did. It takes my daughter ten minutes to say goodbye to everyone (children and adults) when I pick her up from school. She seemingly knows every single person in the hall.

Anyhow, sorry for rambling. My point is that some of us do like people. However, I also get where you guys are coming from. My wife is like you. She just doesn't find most people worth spending time with. She'd rather spend the night reading a novel than talking to someone whose conversation she doesn't find engaging. This was a huge point of contention between us for the first several years of our relationship, but we've come to some good compromises. She socializes way more than she used to, and I go out one or two nights a week with friends while she stays home and reads. Lately, my daughter and I have taken to going out by ourselves here and there. My daughter said once, "That was mean of us to leave mom home alone." I laughed and explained to her a little bit about her mom. When we got home, I told my wife and she laughed and laughed ... several hours by herself, listening to music, reading, or just doing whatever is her idea of heaven... she'd much rather do that than sit on a bar stool for several hours and chat up the riff raff (that would be my job).

Old 04-25-2009, 05:29 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,903,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
everyone says being with others is good for you but some of my nastiest mood swings and depression come from being with other people (actually the wrong group of people) whereas isolation has a stabilizing effect. yes, there are good people out there and i have my good days, but i agree with everyone here

I think it's the group part that is the problem. Even the best of people can become vacuous, annoying and pretty much worthless in the herd. I'm not sure there is such a thing as the right group of people.

I don't really have any problems being around people as long as I'm in the mood, I'm just mostly not in the mood.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:06 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times
Default yes

"not in the mood" is an excellent(and honest) way to describe it. unfortunately it seems many of the more phony or out of touch with reality people act like i'm crazy when i epress it that way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships