Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would a stranger want to read the story of your life?
Yes- I think I've lived a fascinating life that many others wish they could only read about! 1 100.00%
Yes- I've lived a pretty normal life, but have a lot to share. 0 0%
Maybe- If he/she had absolutely nothing better to do. 0 0%
No- I've lived a really boring life, and no one should have the displeasure of reading about it. 0 0%
No- I think I've lived an extraordinary life, however, a stranger couldn't possibly relate to my experiences. 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 01:19 AM

2 posts, read 3,328 times

Advertisements

... of your life?

I have read some books in my time, mostly non-fiction books about different subjects, but have never read an autobiography. Mainly because teachers/others have always made them out as boring books to me. Like why would you want to read a book about some stranger's life when you could be out there living your own.

I always thought I could put my life experiences down on paper and make an excellent book. I know I would find it interesting and rewarding rekindling all the fun/sad/mad/exciting/unusual/emotional/crazy/boring/inspiring times of my life.

However, I would be the only that would of actually experienced all those times. The only one that would have experienced the ups and downs, the feelings of achievement and despair, the pleasures of being alive and the times I felt like disappearing.

So how could some stranger pick up my book with a cup of coffee and really understand what I experienced. How could they feel what I felt then. How can I... really.. share the joys and happiness I felt with others through a book?

Like the movie Into the Wild said.. "Happiness is only Happy... when Shared"

Is it possible to share happiness through a book to a lone stranger? Or is it only possible to experience true happiness, for brief amounts of time, with others?

Take a really great novel you've read as an example. Sure, you enjoyed reading it so much that you locked yourself in the house for two days but once you've finished it, you wanted to find someone that would listen to you talk on and on about the great book you've just read. You even went so far as to suggesting they borrow it from you and read it too, because you secretly wanted to be able to have someone else share the same great experience you had turning the pages.

So when it comes down to it, do I want to read the life story of some stranger (no matter how famous, intelligent, or interesting they are)? The answer is sadly 'no' every time. For I can never truly understand nor imitate what they really felt inside during all those worthwhile days of their lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships