Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2006, 05:47 PM

5 posts, read 18,044 times

Advertisements

so after much debating, my best friend and i have decided sometime in the next year we want to move...both of our first thoughts was NC.
were both biology majors mine animal behaviour and hers marine biology for me i can move anwhere as i work training dogs, as a vet assist, and grooming...
for her however we need either close to the ocean OR neer a large ocenagraphic institute where she will be able to volunteer for her finals. i would LOVE to be neer (within driving distance) of the ocean (im a beach bunny)
wed both need to find jobs in whatever area we end up in, and both of us are currenlty used ot a 1/2 hr-hour commute form home to work, so job prospects must look good in the areas surrounding wherever we look...i would eventually like to open a small petstore/grooming.
as you can tell, a pet/animal frinedly town is VERY important.

were both in our early 20's, and while not party animals some kind of nightlife would be nice, the opportunity to meet people our age is something seriously lacking here in CT. being were 2 women living alone wed be looking for a safer town with a fairly low crime rate. and low housing cost is a plus 3 bedroom house around 800-1000 sqft for under 70K is ideal, willing to put a little elbow greas into the house but it MUST have a big yard so lot size is important (i have 3 dogs and would also like to keep chicken, and im a wildlife rehabilitator so ill need enough room in the yard for my dogs to have room plus have room for a few small pens.

were looking for that slower and frinedly way of life that the south seems to offer, im currenlty interested in greenville, washington, bath (palmnico river area), and willmington, topsail area, ect all seem ok too...

another important thing for us is rennaisance faire, we are both currently actors at a small southern ct ren faire, as well as members of a renaissance/medievil themed acting troup, and i work NewYork Renaissance faire during the summers. so local oportunities like this is fine and were willing to drive around 2-3 hours for the larger faires (theres one in raleigh, one neer charlotte ect.)

were also looking for a fairly liberal area.

any suggestions of towns neighbourhoods ect would be great help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2006, 07:13 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
If you're looking for liberalism on the NC coast, you're not going to find much compared to CT. About the best you're going to get is Bertie County which borders the Albemarle Sound. Out of all of the counties on the coast, only Bertie and Washington Counties are considered even mildly liberal.

Old 02-22-2006, 07:53 PM

oh were not into poloticts either way, its just were both NOT into poloticts or religion so are looking for somewhere where it wont be shoved down our throats...i have no prblem with someone saying oh you should come to our church sometime...i do however have a problem with someone attacking me because i say thanks but no thanks (as "liberal" as ct is supposed ot be a frined of ours came across that situation reacently and this person gathered a group form her church, whent to his house and when he again politley declined, they burned devil worshiper into his lawn and keyed his car.) everyone has the right to their opinion, keying said opinion into someones car is the unacceptable part.

oh and a town with "history" would be awsome (im currently drawn to bath/little washington due to the blackbeard history) were both BIG into haunting stories and would love to like in a town thats considered "haunted" (even if it is ony haunted with tales of the past) beaufort county like for work how far is the drive from bath to greenville (i expect employment is higher in greenville than in small town such as bath...)

Last edited by LittleTreasures; 02-22-2006 at 07:59 PM..

Old 02-22-2006, 08:33 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
Yes, the NC coast is heavy in new world history. The Pirates loved all the sounds, inlets and connecting rivers to conduct their operations.

The first English settlement in America was on Roanoke Island in 1587 and Virginia Dare was the first child born of English parents in America that same year. No one knows for sure what happened to her and the rest of the colony. They just mysteriously disappeared without a trace.

New Bern was the first permanent capitol of the Colony of North Carolina around 1770.

It takes about an hour to drive from Bath to Greenville.

Last edited by mm34b; 02-22-2006 at 08:39 PM..

Old 02-28-2006, 03:26 PM

thanks for that info.

are there any towns beteen bath and greenville that are worth looking into...ive heard tlak of little washington, chocowinty aroura ect...id realy like to be neer the water in a dog frinedly town with a nice comunity atmosphere and some kind of after housr life...the town i live in right now has an 8pm curfew for anyone under 21 and the wholetown seems to shut down after 9pm...its insane...and theres NOTHIGN to do on the weekends. id love somweher where i can walk along the river or go to the beach or even hang out in town with my dogs have lunch at some cafe with an outdoor area and just talk to people passing by...
eventually id like to open a pet shop so an animal frineldy community would be absolutly wonderfull...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina