Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 02:44 PM

10 posts, read 14,027 times

Advertisements

my family is from michigan. we hate it here, the cold, and theres no reason to stay. we are firm middle class with an income of approximately $100,000. we're up for any location, our job has transfers pretty much anywhere. we're looking for low crime in the area with a nice school district. we're looking to buy a house less than $200,000. any suggestions on areas would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 02:50 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,021,045 times
It looks like you are mostly focusing your move on Florida based on other posts -- what is drawing you in about NC? Have you been here before?

Tips:
1. only move if you have job / transfer offer in hand.
2. some schools good, some not so good. - depends on area
3. crime varies - depends on area
4. cost of house varies greatly - again, depends on area

It is hard for anyone to give a more precise answer to your questions without knowing where you are targeting your move to. The cities vary quite a bit, and areas within the cities vary even more. We can be more helpful once you know you are, in fact, moving here .. and where you are moving within the state.

However, depending on where in MI you live now .. moving to NC may increase your cost of living. Keep that in mind.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:52 PM

we've been to nc on vacation, florida also. we're just sick of michigan and want to move to the south

Old 02-09-2011, 05:13 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
SOUTH is a really big space. Focus on some things you like or are important to you. Obviously schools and safety, but thos can be found in many places. Do you want to be close or in a city? Close to a CVS? 1200 sq ft lot or acres? How far from an interstate? Costal? Mountains (some snow)? Sit down with your people and brainstorm what you really want and what you will not accept?

Old 02-09-2011, 07:26 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
My husband is from Michigan. I don't blame you for wanting to leave there, unless you're living in the UP.

We live here in NC, and his parents live in Florida. I'd say either location would probably make you happy.

I agree with the others that say you should be sure about the work scenario... then, you would need to provide more details about the type of place in which you want to live before anyone here could offer practical advice.

Good luck!

Old 02-09-2011, 03:01 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
getmetoflorida...

Didn't you pick the wrong username if you are trying to get to NC?

Anyway, as others point out, your request is WAYYY too general for anyone to help. "The South" covers many states and you don't really say what you are looking for other than "somewhere besides Michigan".

Old 02-09-2011, 03:57 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,294,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmetoflorida View Post
my family is from michigan. we hate it here, the cold, and theres no reason to stay. we are firm middle class with an income of approximately $100,000. we're up for any location, our job has transfers pretty much anywhere. we're looking for low crime in the area with a nice school district. we're looking to buy a house less than $200,000. any suggestions on areas would be greatly appreciated.
Most of the cities in NC are pretty safe. Do you want to live in a city? Suburbs? Rural or semi-rural?

Coastal?
Piedmont? (rolling hills; a little snow; hot, humid summers)
Mountains? (least hot in summer but gets winter snow)

You can find out about schools' and districts' test scores here: NC School Report Cards
City-data has crime statistics on their city pages.

What else interests you? Professional sports? Recreation? Do you need to be near an airport? Do you want to be near a lake? If getting out of MI is the only goal, just throw a dart at a map, and you'll be fine.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:35 PM

i havent looked into areas in nc, i was more focused on fl, but i wanted to see the options of nc. we're looking for a smallish town, somewhat near a beach. close to schools. crime meaning ghetto. i was hoping this post would give me a starting point and suggestions

Old 02-10-2011, 03:04 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
i havent looked into areas in nc, i was more focused on fl, but i wanted to see the options of nc. we're looking for a smallish town, somewhat near a beach. close to schools. crime meaning ghetto. i was hoping this post would give me a starting point and suggestions
Try this website regarding the entire state of NC and bordering parts of SC:

www.carolinaliving.com

Old 02-10-2011, 06:37 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,294,617 times
Quote:
i wanted to see the options of nc. we're looking for a smallish town, somewhat near a beach. close to schools.
If you want to be near the beach, you can do some reading and ask your questions in the Coastal NC sub-forum:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina