Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 07:15 AM

345 posts, read 977,396 times

Advertisements

I'm not a native of North or South Carolina (born and raised in Maryland, currently reside in Florida.)

However, I've come to be a huge, huge fan of the eastern Carolina style BBQ sauce. I love the taste of the mustard/vinegar mix with a little bit of red pepper mixed in for spice.

I know this type of BBQ is more common towards the eastern portion of the state, and from what I've heard the western is more ketchup based sauce.

For some reason, the "traditional" ketchup based BBQ sauce doesn't excite me...it just tastes like smoky ketchup to me.

Are there any Carolina BBQ afficiandos out here with any special tips and recipes? I'm curious for a native Carolinian perspective. Do any Carolinians swear by Carolina style BBQ exclusively? Is there a huge east/west BBQ split?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 07:52 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,541,472 times
Yes there is a huge split and Im sure the posters after me will prove it LOL.

It gotta be cooked over hickory wood chips to get the best flavor and I do prefer western style also known as Lexington Style BBQ.

The difference is barbecue is that ketchup is commonly added to the sauce of western barbecue. The other difference is that in the east they use the whole hog, both white and dark meat, while in the west they cook only the pork shoulder, which is dark meat and thus more fatty, moister and richer

I do find eastern style to be more dry and less moist. And the sides I do not care for. I prefer Red Slaw over the mustard slaw.

I also ask for more dip to but on my bbq and I like to give it a little kick with Texas Pete (made in Winston Salem).

I prefer chopped but pulled bbq is ok and I love places that serve real pork skins.
The best bbq I have had was at Backcountry Barbecue
Next would be
Speedy's Barbecue Inc of Lexington
Smokey Joe's Barbecue

My all time favorite is being invited to a pig pickin
You should check out Lexington BBQ Festival the last Saturday of October it alot of fun good music, large crowds but my opinion the bbq at the festival is just ok and definite more pricey than the restaurants so try to eat at a restaurant.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:25 AM

29 posts, read 45,453 times
I Like Bbq!

Old 08-29-2007, 11:05 AM

57 posts, read 198,211 times
My preferences are the same as SunnyKayak. I can eat both but I prefer Western/Lexington Style Barbeque.

I do want to clarify one thing though, for people who may not have had this style of barbeque. While it is a tomato-based sauce, it is a thin sauce and also has some vinegar in it. It does not have the flavor or consistancy of ketchup. So its not like the red ketchup-based barbeque sauce you can buy in the grocery store.

I highly recommend Speedy's Barbeque in Lexington!

Old 08-29-2007, 11:18 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,661,022 times
I also vote for Western/Lexington style, although I honestly prefer a BBQ that's moist enough as-is without needing any additional sauce. I also really like a Caribbean-style BBQ where the meat is marinated in apple cider.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:20 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,909,919 times
Though I live in the western half of the state (Charlotte area), my family and I like the eastern style BBQ the best. The tangly vinigar taste is awesome.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:23 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,272,868 times
Mustard-based sauce is SC barbecue. I would never try that. I hate mustard.

I've only had eastern NC style barbecue (vinegar based). It was okay. I probably wouldn't eat it again.

I've yet to try western/Lexington style barbecue.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:17 PM

345 posts, read 977,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki View Post
Mustard-based sauce is SC barbecue. I would never try that. I hate mustard.

I've only had eastern NC style barbecue (vinegar based). It was okay. I probably wouldn't eat it again.

I've yet to try western/Lexington style barbecue.
I didn't know the mustard was a South Carolina thing.

I do have to admit, I like the mustard in the BBQ sauce a lot. I guess it's an acquired taste, as I haven't always liked it, but it's become a virtual obsession of my lately.

I actually made my own mustard based sauce, utilizing some recipies online as well as improvising. Then I marinated and basted some baby backs in it. It had to be one of the best meals I think I've ever cooked myself, if I don't mind patting myself on the back.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:12 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,272,868 times
lol Well, I'm glad you liked it.

Have you tried eastern NC (vinegar based) or western/Lexington NC style (tomato based) yet? I really need to get up the nerve to try western style. lol I tend not to try new foods.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:06 AM

1,489 posts, read 8,800,290 times
NC BBQ tastes right similar to VA BBQ. Although I think the sauce has a bit of a different flavor to it.

I get minced pork BBQ from a place here in town called Bill's. Its VA BBQ but I've had NC BBQ and couldn't really taste much difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina