Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2011, 12:46 PM

2 posts, read 28,251 times

Advertisements

I recently just acquired a job in Goldsboro, NC. I am moving there from Salt Lake City. I am 24 years old and I am looking for a good place to live. I hear goldsboro isn't the safest of towns so if someone can please direct me where to look. I will be working near the Air Force Base and can live up to 50 miles from my job. I am also looking for a apartment to rent and eventually would like to buy a house but I dont know anything about NC and would like some help. Me and my fiancee would like to live either closer to the water or Raleigh. Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 12:49 PM

2 posts, read 28,251 times
And looking to live in a a safe, normal neighborhood.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:51 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
I think like any town, there are good areas and not-so-good areas. Goldsboro may have SOME bad areas but overall, I'm sure there are nice areas there; just saying not to rule it out.

Goldsboro is smack dab in the middle between Raleigh and the beach. If you want to live closer to Raleigh, consider Smithfield or Clayton (Smithfield is a "Mayberry" kind of town but might be a little "redneck" for you in some ways; Clayton is exploding and lots of new subdivisions being built, but it might be farther that you would want to commute all the time.

You also might look into Greenville, which is an many ways a college town, so there would be folks your age there and places that cater to your age group. It's very close to Washington, which has a riverfront (the river is wide and slow-moving, not "rapids") so you would be close to water. Knowing nothing else about what you want, I'd suggest looking at Greenville.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:24 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,237,998 times
Have you considered living in Clayton? It's 45 minutes from Goldsboro and 25-30 minutes to Raleigh. The schools in Clayton are great and it is very affordable. I would never live in Goldsboro. A family member of mine worked in Goldsboro and lived in Cary. He REFUSED to live in/near Goldsboro. Best of luck.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:54 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
Goldsboro is a little under an our from the Raleigh Beltline. That said, I had a freind that commuted from Clayton to Goldsboro daily, anther that commuted from Winterville to Goldsboro. I've also met peopel who commuted between jacksonvill and Fayetteville to Goldsboro. All agree that the commute gets real old after a while.

With that said, I would not recommend living in Goldsboro proper without seeing it for myself first. You should focus your efforts on the Eastern, Western, and Northern edges of Wayne County. The Rosewood area, 27534 zip code, and Pikeville area are good bets.

The best thng I can say about Goldsboro is that it's convenient to everything. It's less than a n hour from Raleigh and Greenville and about 1.5 hours form the beach. The Neuse River also goes through the area at Cliffs of the Neuse State Park. That said there is nothing exceptional abput Goldsboro when compared to all of the neighboring towns of similar size or larger.

I have to run and most likely will be off this site until the evening but post any questions and I'll be happy to answer.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:25 PM

22 posts, read 54,416 times
I know all towns have their good and bad sides, but if you don't have to, I would not look at actually living in the city of Goldsboro. It gets pretty rough in the city and the AFB borders some of the rougher neighborhoods. If you're looking at living in Wayne County, I would recommend either Rosewood (Western part of the county) or the Pikeville (Northern part of the county) areas, although i'm not sure what kind, if any, apartment choices would be in these areas. IMO, getting closer to Raleigh would probably offer you better choices and more variety in healthcare, housing, entertainment, etc.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:12 PM

159 posts, read 258,905 times
Default Any retirement towns?

I would like an out of the way town, within 1 or so hrs from the beach, where things are low key, and not too expensive. Any ideas?

Old 12-03-2011, 04:21 PM

2,615 posts, read 3,144,625 times
I grew up in Pikeville. It's a town of about 1,500 now. 10 miles north of Goldsboro. Not a town with night life if you are looking for that, but a quiet little town where most people know each other & are good neighbors. Has a supermarket, a family grocery store, pharmacy, medical clinic & a few eating places. A few decent apartment buildings in town, duplex type. PM me with any questions.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:31 PM

84 posts, read 147,838 times
Go for Clayton.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:22 AM

2,615 posts, read 3,144,625 times
Clayton is a nice town too, but Pikeville is 2 hours from Atlantic Beach, Clayton nearly 3. Not sure about Wilmington area beaches. Clayton is near I 40 that goes to Wilmington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina