Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 05:28 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,122,761 times

Advertisements

Although we have lived here for over 10 years the only barbecue we have been able to find is the white, vinegar based kind, not the red, tomato sauce kind similar to Memphis or Bama. Would anyone care to weigh in and explain why this is? I know there are exceptions such as Red Hot & Blue up in Raleigh but that is a Memphis based chain and not of North Carolina heritage. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 05:46 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Sounds like you have only had Eastern NC barbecue and not Lexington style.
You need to head further West for "Western" Lexington Style BBQ sounds like you are having Eastern style and good barbecue is not part of a chain restaurant.

What Is North Carolina-Style BBQ?

Here is a good barbecue trail map
The NC Barbecue Society Historic Trail

Old 12-01-2007, 06:15 PM

674 posts, read 805,087 times
Sunny said it-- and Eastern style NC BBQ dominates most restaurants-- even toward the mountains! (That's because it is the BEST)

Old 12-01-2007, 06:21 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
BBQ is like sex, it's all different, and it's all good, quite complaining

Old 12-01-2007, 06:25 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncisgreat View Post
Sunny said it-- and Eastern style NC BBQ dominates most restaurants-- even toward the mountains! (That's because it is the BEST)
Well you are wrong, but you are free to enjoy it your way, I prefer western style (WNC that is), and after all, 12 Bones Smokehouse in Asheville, not only earned a spot on the Best Bites Challenge on ABC-TV’s “Good Morning America†show Sunday, it smoked the competition.

But like sex, and none of it bad, just some is better than the rest.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Sounds like you have only had Eastern NC barbecue and not Lexington style.
You need to head further West for "Western" Lexington Style BBQ sounds like you are having Eastern style and good barbecue is not part of a chain restaurant.

What Is North Carolina-Style BBQ?

Here is a good barbecue trail map
The NC Barbecue Society Historic Trail
SunnyKayak: Live and learn they say! I printed the attachment about the two types of barbecue and the map of the Barbecue Trail. Doesn't look like there are any near us so it looks like we'll have to travel west. True, food in any chain restaurant is not as good as it is in small, mom & pop establishments. Once my Wife figures out what is in the Lexington style she will ultimately work to copy it at home. Best red barbecue I ever had was at a small roadside place in Enterprise, Alabama. Now I made myself drool

Old 12-02-2007, 06:12 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,477,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_NC View Post
Although we have lived here for over 10 years the only barbecue we have been able to find is the white, vinegar based kind, not the red, tomato sauce kind similar to Memphis or Bama. Would anyone care to weigh in and explain why this is? I know there are exceptions such as Red Hot & Blue up in Raleigh but that is a Memphis based chain and not of North Carolina heritage. Thanks
http://www.carolinaqcup.com/images/bbq_map_w.gif (broken link)
The only good resource I can find is written from the perspective of South Carolina - but I'm sure the reasons you are asking about are the same among both states. Basically, NC and SC BBQ both traditionally used a vinegar base, and I assume it is still that way because the east is older (in terms of settlement) than the west.

Quote:
BBQ History (http://www.scbarbeque.com/History.html - broken link)

The Scottish families who settled primarily in Williamsburg County in present day South Carolina low country are the most famous South Carolina preparers of Vinegar and Pepper barbeque. The most prominent present day Scottish barbeque family is probably the Brown family, but there is also McKenzie, Scott, McCabe and many others who have remained, like the German families, true to their heritage. This simple Vinegar and Pepper sauce is the first, and therefore the oldest, of the South Carolina basting sauces.

South Carolina mustard sauce can be clearly traced to those German settlers and is still in abundant evidence today, even after 250 years, in the names of the families who sell mustard based sauces and mustard based barbecue to the public. The Bessinger family is the most prominent in the mustard based barbeque business, but other German names are legion in the South Carolina barbeque business - Shealy, Hite, Sweatman, Sikes, Price, Lever, Meyer, Kiser, and Zeigler are other examples and there are many more.

The third type of sauce found in the Carolinas, in terms of the evolution of sauces, is Light Tomato sauce. This sauce is (or was) little more than Vinegar and Pepper with tomato ketchup added. This occurred after tomato ketchup became a readily available condiment around the turn of the last century; that is, around 1900. It was a simple thing to take the tried and true Vinegar and Pepper and add some ketchup, which brought a little sweetness and other spices to the mix. That style of sauce is most famous in North Carolina in the Piedmont region of which Lexington, North Carolina, is the acknowledged barbeque center.

The fourth sauce in South Carolina and, for that matter, the rest of the nation, is Heavy Tomato sauce. This sauce has evolved only recently, that is, in the last sixty or so years, and it's the last of the four major types. It has spread rapidly over the majority of the nation due to modern transportation, modern marketing, and the insatiable sweet tooth of the modern American.
For what it's worth, I think most people over-use the sauce in BBQ. I don't like any of the bbq sauces on pulled pork - mustard, tomato, ketchup, or vinegar. Vinegar is especially bad if over-used; it ruins the texture. My favorite BBQ is hickory smoked, pulled right off the hog, with no sauce.

Last edited by anonymous; 12-02-2007 at 06:25 AM..

Old 12-02-2007, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
http://www.carolinaqcup.com/images/bbq_map_w.gif (broken link)
The only good resource I can find is written from the perspective of South Carolina - but I'm sure the reasons you are asking about are the same among both states. Basically, NC and SC BBQ both traditionally used a vinegar base, and I assume it is still that way because the east is older (in terms of settlement) than the west.

For what it's worth, I think most people over-use the sauce in BBQ. I don't like any of the bbq sauces on pulled pork - mustard, tomato, ketchup, or vinegar. Vinegar is especially bad if over-used; it ruins the texture. My favorite BBQ is hickory smoked, pulled right off the hog, with no sauce.
anonymous: Thanks for the input. I tend to agree with you as we have had it without sauce and ate it right off the hog. This happened when we went to one of our favorite restaurants (near our former home) and found that they were closed for a wedding celebration. The owners saw us wondering why the doors were closed yet people were inside eating and, finally, one came out and invited us in. We not only got to eat pulled pork the way the locals enjoyed it we enjoyed the company of some of the finest people around. I don't think I can name the restaurant for fear of breaking the forum rules, but it is outside of Smithfield, NC.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:45 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
BBQ is like sex, it's all different, and it's all good, quite complaining
hahahahahahahahahaha - enough said!

Old 12-02-2007, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
hahahahahahahahahaha - enough said!
Yeah, and when you get older it's a miracle and a blessing. Lots of great senses of humor by most posters. Best site of this type I was ever part of!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina