Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 01:40 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times

Advertisements

The teen in that video I really do believe he flew that flag as a proud southerner, he seem like a good guy but wow that was a huge flag, I don't see how it did not bend his antenna.

We fly the confederate flag its not a rebel flag. Its southern pride in our confederate soldiers
who shed blood for our freedom. We fly it not because we are still fighting the war we are
honoring those southerners that sacrifice their life.

The flag below is at Ft Fisher museum the thread tells about history and civil war sites across the state.

I did a civil war soldier remembrance thread about two years ago for Memorial Day

=> http://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...day-149-a.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
The Southern United States state of North Carolina provided an important source of soldiers, supplies, and war materials to the Confederate States of America during the American Civil War. The city of Wilmington was among the leading ports of the Confederacy, providing a vital lifeline of trade with England and other countries, especially after the Union blockade choked off most other Confederate ports. Large supplies of weapons, ammunition, accoutrements, and military supplies flowed from Wilmington throughout the South.

Flag flown at the civil war museum at Fort Fisher a great place to take your kids to learn about history on your vacation.
This flag does not represent hate.
It represents southern pride of the men who fought for our freedom.

Spoiler
I will honor the blood you shed Great Great Great Grandfather General Riley Leonard

The biggest misconception most people have is that they think the war was about slavery.
Wrong.
It was a fight for rights for the southern states.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-05-2012 at 01:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 01:45 PM

374 posts, read 812,769 times
In my old school district (in rural northern Arkansas), one of the school mascots was the Rebels, at the campus across the county. There was a giant Confederate flag painted on the floor of the basketball gym, everyone waved Confederate flags at ball games. Racism never crossed anyone's mind. There was even a black guy on the team with Rebel across his chest. It's not an issue unless you make it one. In my experience, uptight white politically correct Northerners are far more likely to get angry about something like that than rural Southern black people. I say be proud of your heritage. The war wasn't exclusively about slavery, anyway. Southern pride definitely isn't about slavery, or racism. The most racist guy I ever knew was from Ohio. My ancestors served bravely in the Confederate army, were wounded and never deserted, and I'm proud. At the same time, I'm not some nut who thinks "the South is gonna rise again!" or hates all the brown people. If a person wasn't raised in this culture, I wouldn't expect them to get it.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:47 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,022,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
It is not inflammatory unless you/the school wishes it to be.
No. It's inflammatory because of the long history behind it

Quote:
No it was not. The war was a referendum over the issue of state's rights regarding slavery. Slavery was wrong but that is not the issue we are discussing. The Southern armies didn't try to exterminate an entire race so there is absolutely zero comparison to Nazi symbolism.
Come on man. The flag is the symbol of the degradation, oppression, and dehumanization of an entire race of people for centuries. Not only that, it's the symbol of an armed, treasonous insurrection against the United States.

It is a flag of treason. It is a testament to our First Amendment that we even allow them to be printed, let alone flown in public places.

Quote:
It is only a "willful act of aggression" to those who want to be offended by everything. If the Nation of Islam, New Black Panthers, Muslim Brotherhood or PLO displayed their flags would you also consider those "willful acts of aggression"?
Yes. Though I would be on the fence about the PLO. They aren't really a hate organization.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:48 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,777 times
^ Interesting, Sunny. Tell me, for what rights were the southern states fighting?

Old 06-05-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
^ Interesting, Sunny. Tell me, for what rights were the southern states fighting?
The right to self government.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark90 View Post
The right to self government.
Okay, you get half-credit so far. What was the issue for which they wanted to self-govern?

Old 06-05-2012, 01:59 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Quote:
They was fighting for their rights than beliefs. Some think the flag represents slavery but there was hardly any plantations in North Carolina, most of this state was yeoman farmers and couldn't afford slaves and alot try to dodge draft & tax evasion to avoid being a part of this war.

It wasnt til 60's when hate groups took this flag in vain. So it time to focus on real history of the flag.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:06 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
It is a flag of treason.
It is a testament to our First Amendment that we even allow them to be printed, let alone flown in public places.
^^This. Tolerated... not embraced.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:10 PM

^ Yes, some people do think the flag represents slavery, and the many decades of oppression that followed the war. Look, I understand the whole "heritage" thing...I'm white and I was raised in the south, so I get it. But I also know that the war was very much about slavery, even though most who fought and died didn't own slaves. There's nothing wrong with glorifying and honoring those who served, but when it's done in a manner that offends others then I have to question why one would feel that strongly about it. Is it worth using this symbol to honor people who I didn't know (because they've been dead for many years), while knowing that it offends people I do know, who I live and interact with every day? For me, I would choose a different manner to honor them.

You can argue all day that it doesn't represent slavery, doesn't offend, etc., but the fact is, in the decades since the war, during all the segregation, the lynchings, the discrimination in schools, workplaces, and public places, the rebel flag was usually not far from sight. It's offensive to many blacks for good reason, and for me that's enough to make me not want to fly it in their faces.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Okay, you get half-credit so far. What was the issue for which they wanted to self-govern?
I'm not going to say slavery wasn't a factor, which is what you wanted me to say. It just wasn't the only one as most Northerners were like to believe. As the fairy tale was first told to me, the South was a naughty racist brat who wouldn't free its slaves until the big bad North came down on us. We all know that the South wasn't so evil and the North wasn't so pure. The war was started by the politicians on each side. Lee freed his slaves before Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation. Sherman was probably just as racist as Forrest. Grant hated Jews. It's not all black and white or exclusively good and bad. I wave the flag to honor the common Southern soldier who fought what he saw as a foreign industrial super power invading his soil, for duty and honor and because he had no choice. State loyalty, not because he was a rich plantation owner. Was the cause 100% ivory and noble like some people claim? No. But that doesn't mean we can't honor our ancestors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina