Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 02:21 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times

Advertisements

There is a different map that says otherwise.

I think native NC-ians grew up saying "Coke" or "Pepsi" to mean all soft drinks. But "soda" is the "standard" term across most of the US and with so many moving to NC over the years, it's taken on here. Personalli I say "a drink" as long as it's understood that I don't mean a cocktail! But on my grocery list, I write "cokes" when what I actually get is something like Diet 7Up.

Just don't say "Pop" 'round these parts, it's like nails on a chalkboard!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 02:23 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I hate it when I'm at a restaurant, ask for a "diet Coke", and then I'm told "we only have Pepsi". To me, it's like what's the difference? If I ask for a "Coke" I just want a dark pop. If I ask for a "Sprite", I just want a clear pop. Why do the restaurants have to be so difficult?
Often they are legally required to say that by whichever company stocks them, and yes, there are some who can't stand one or the other.

I usually say "[diet] cola" to avoid the Coke/Pepsi spiel.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:02 PM

365 posts, read 499,238 times
I'm from NC

I call it soda. Most people I know call it soda

Old 07-16-2012, 08:20 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,328,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Believe it or not some people are really picky about that sort of thing. Like serious Coke/Pepsi partisans, which isn't helped by exclusivity contracts in foodservice.
I definitely prefer Coke over Pepsi, although I'm really more of an iced tea person. If I'm jonesing for a Coke and a restaurant just has Pepsi I might skip it in favor of tea instead.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:22 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,390,949 times
I say Soda. Well... I guess I say "Coke" sometimes when I want to stop off at the Gas Station and end up getting Sierra Mist or Sun Drop...

Old 07-16-2012, 10:04 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,193,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead0043 View Post
I am from Maryland, and this is pretty much the exact thing we say, except nobody in MD refers to all soda as "Coke". A Coke is a Coca Cola.
Make no mistake about my comments... When I say "coke", I mean Coke. Not Pepsi, or RC or whatever...

Old 07-17-2012, 04:58 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,192,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Often they are legally required to say that by whichever company stocks them, and yes, there are some who can't stand one or the other.
It's not really a legal thing but most restaurants sign a contract to stock one or the other in exchange for discounts (soda is one of the highest margin items in foodservice; it's almost pure profit when purchased at a discount) and free stuff like counters/equipment/signage, etc. A lot also depends on which company has bottling and distro plants nearby, though that's not always the case.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:33 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,515,777 times
I was raised in rural NE NC and always referred to it as a 'drink' as well. "Stop by the store so I can grab a drink". (no not an alcoholic drink ). Growing up once and a while I heard my dad say 'pop' but it may be because his family originally was from Ohio.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:54 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,209,482 times
I was quite shocked when a co-worker announced "I WANT A DRINK." I was waiting for her to pull a bottle of Jack Daniels from her lunch bag. Instead she was asked what she wanted--"I want a coke."

One of my first NC vocabulary lessons.

Every time I say POP, I get the evil-nasty look and WTF am I talking about. I beg forgiveness and say some habits from the north are hard to change.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:59 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,019,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
There is a different map that says otherwise.

I think native NC-ians grew up saying "Coke" or "Pepsi" to mean all soft drinks. But "soda" is the "standard" term across most of the US and with so many moving to NC over the years, it's taken on here. Personalli I say "a drink" as long as it's understood that I don't mean a cocktail! But on my grocery list, I write "cokes" when what I actually get is something like Diet 7Up.

Just don't say "Pop" 'round these parts, it's like nails on a chalkboard!
That's the old map from 2002. The more recent map shows that soda is the preferred term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina