Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 07:11 AM

34,105 posts, read 83,042,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townshend2372 View Post
I am looking for a smaller town, a town with acreage, shorter commute to big shopping and nightlife
(less than 30 minutes), and we need to be less than one hour from the shore or a large lake.
This addition completely changes the nature of your post.
Up to now the assumption was that the coastal areas were it for you.

I also haven't seen any mention of work or income...
two 30 somethings are severely limiting their work opportunities (in NC) sticking to the coast.

Like nearly everyone else... you need to get west of I-95 and somewhere along I-40.
There are lakes out there and even some things that sorta resemble nightlife too.

Last edited by MrRational; 12-18-2012 at 08:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 08:57 AM

9 posts, read 13,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
This addition completely changes the nature of your post.
Up to now the assumption was that the coastal areas were it for you.

I also haven't seen any mention of work or income...
two 30 somethings are severely limiting their work opportunities (in NC) sticking to the coast.

Like nearly everyone else... you need to get west of I-95 and somewhere along I-40.
There are lakes out there and even some things
that sorta resemble nightlife too.

Work wise, we would like to be within 40 minutes of a large medical center. We have contacts within new hanover medical in Wilmington and on the other side at lake Norman medical center. We are open to networking with other medical centers as well.

As for home budget we have a 450k as a target ceiling for a move in ready property

Thanks!

Old 12-18-2012, 02:57 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,077,625 times
Quote:
Thank you! Do you know what the roads and traffic like in that area (117, 40, 140)?
Well, I am retired, and don't drive at rush-hour. However, 40 and 140 are major roads, but when I have been on them, the traffic is very light compared to the Washington DC area.

Highway 117 is a side-road that has been bypassed by 40, and it is local traffic only. However, you should factor in the traffic when you choose a place to live. For example, I don think you want to be 40 miles out on Route 40 if you have to commute to downtown Wilmington daily.

BTW, look at the intersection of 210 and 117 on Google maps. That is the center of Rocky Point-- about a dozen stores and businesses. Housing is spread out and semi-rural.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:42 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,842,116 times
What is your work situation, do you have jobs lined up, etc?

What specifically about NC, rather than another state, has pulled you here? What are your expectations, in other words? Many move here and find that reality was not what they had been led to believe by secondhand reports or "Best places to live" articles.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
What is your work situation, do you have jobs lined up, etc?

What specifically about NC, rather than another state, has pulled you here? What are your expectations, in other words? Many move here and find that reality was not what they had been led to believe by secondhand reports or "Best places to live" articles.

We are visiting in January to meet with two employers in the Lake Norman are and one near Wilmington. We will not pull the trigger and move without work lined up, so we wanted to nail down an area to pursue work.

My wife and I are at a point in our lives where we can pickup and explore. We decided if we don't do it now, we may never. We have a few other motives that are driving it as well. Our outrageous taxes for one. Also we like New England but HATE the winters, and it seems every year it is getting worse!! We are fitness oriented people who thoroughly enjoy the outdoors.

We have been to Lake Norman, Southern pines, Charlotte and OBX many times over the past few years. We have immensely enjoyed our stays. Whichever area we chose, we will be very close to friends. We have close friends who now reside there.

I hope that paints a better picture of our motives!

Old 12-19-2012, 09:40 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,842,116 times
If you're equally as interested in Mooresville and Wilmington and feel good about your prospects, you might just see which one gives a better offer and start there. You can still move within the state later (~30 is SO young, whether you think so or not! ) and people within the state are generally received better than out-of-staters for most jobs, it seems.

The Southern Pines/Sandhills area does have a great hospital (my dad has lived in that area for 20 years) but I believe would be boring for 30-year-olds. I'm older than that and I find it boring when I visit It's largely a retirement demographic, unless you are really into golf, in which case it might skyrocket up your list.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:56 AM

34,105 posts, read 83,042,686 times
Quote:
...to meet with two employers in the Lake Norman are and one near Wilmington.
Quote:
We have been to Lake Norman, Southern pines, Charlotte and OBX many times over the past few years.
You keep moving the goalposts!

If these others could work then you might as well explore the TRIAD and TRIANGLE as well.
There are far too many medically oriented opportunities there to ignore.

OTOH... if you decide that the coastal area is where you really, really want to be...
(and there's nothing wrong with that) then just limit your job search to the Wilmington area.

Once you have the job sorted out then the rest becomes far easier to reconcile.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
You keep moving the goalposts!

No no, I was just explaining how we chose North Carolina as a landing spot!!

Thanks for your thoughts!

Old 12-19-2012, 06:22 PM

848 posts, read 1,121,413 times
I'm also originally from CT -- been in NC for 25 years and have lived in Huntersville (near Charlotte / Lake Norman), Raleigh, Durham and now north of Durham on the VA border.

What your professions? Sounds like that isn't factor in deciding where to live?

Do you want to be in a subdivision, in a town or out in the country with some land?

Are you conservative, liberal or a mixture of these?

How religious are you?

Old 12-20-2012, 07:00 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,402,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
I'm also originally from CT -- been in NC for 25 years and have lived in Huntersville (near Charlotte / Lake Norman), Raleigh, Durham and now north of Durham on the VA border.

What your professions? Sounds like that isn't factor in deciding where to live?

Do you want to be in a subdivision, in a town or out in the country with some land?

Are you conservative, liberal or a mixture of these?

How religious are you?
Is it really that important of your political leanings or religious affiliation when deciding where to move to?

Seems to me that employment should be the first real consideration. After that would be location and access to shopping, leisure time activities.

Never did care what church or who my neighbors voted for when home shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina