Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 01:26 PM

46 posts, read 99,168 times

Advertisements

I've lived in NC in the triangle area for 5 years now, and just like any area it has it's mix of good and bad. I ultimately moved for a job opportunity, but have recently switched careers. I am very fortunate that this area is very oriented towards healthcare, and currently work as an RN at one of the big hospitals.

I enjoy the weather here, most of the people, and I can understand why it's been at the top of Forbes' list for probably the better part of 10+ years. I know even more growth is on the horizon, and I see more apartment complexes being built around downtown Durham, RTP, and North and Western Raleigh.

I only have two major complaints. The first is that while COL is 'low' in the Triangle, I have found that wages are also on the low side. All factors aside, I have learned to live on less, and have no problem making ends meet unless I spend excessively. I don't worry about money because I am sure I will make more as I gain experience, and as my school debt slowly gets eaten away.

My other compliant is the one I hope you can help me with. I have learned to really dislike the sprawl that Raleigh and Durham have. I have never spent so much time in my car in the past few years. I have to drive to get groceries, to get coffee with friends, to go to a park, etc. Raleigh is set up in such a way that while the suburban complexes and units are cute and cheap, they are usually far from any walkable town or city core.

My dream is probably similar to many others. A single family home with yard, with decent schools and in a safe area, but is walkable to local businesses. I would love to bike to a coffee shop or brewery, or walk an urban-ish core with sidewalks.

I'm trying my best to explain myself, but I agree it can be a little confusing

What places do you recommend to find a place in a more walkable area? Is RTP the answer? Greensboro? If I was to have a budget I could like a place around 200K, but could probably spread to 250 if needed.

Thanks for your help, I'd appreciate any thoughts or concerns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 01:43 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
In which city do you work?

Old 04-13-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
In which city do you work?
In Durham. I like Durham, but it has a ton of sprawl, which I mentioned above. I'm open to moving to other parts of NC, I just wanted some insight.

Old 04-13-2014, 02:43 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,199,422 times
Chapel Hill/Carrboro is probably one the most walkable cities in NC... and it's close to Durham.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:16 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,347,028 times
Yeah, Chapel Hill and Carrboro. Just spent the afternoon riding our bikes to the library. We can take a 2 minute walk to the park, 10 minute walk to coffee shops, cafes, bookstore, and just a wee bit longer to downtown Chapel Hill or Carrboro. See if you can get on at UNC Hospitals if you're wanting to change jobs (I know nothing about their benefits, or working environment, etc). My spouse works on campus and drives to work about 5 times a year, walks the rest of the time.

On the other hand, I think there are parts of Durham that are very walkable. Maybe you need to check out a new neighborhood?

Old 04-13-2014, 03:44 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,735,648 times
New Bern

Old 04-14-2014, 04:25 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,916,620 times
All of those things exist in the downtown Durham area, though your price range is challenging. You could find a home in Old North Durham or parts of Duke Park for that range and be in bike/walk distance to things. Schools will vary by neighborhood; Old West Durham might be a good bet to get zoned into EK Powe.

Frankly, you're asking after the most in-demand segment it seems of the Triangle real estate market. Homes are listing for three to four times your price range in Trinity Park and going under contract in a week or less. You probably have to look at more up and coming neighborhoods to find what you're looking for.

For that matter, what about the Southside homes under construction just south of American Tobacco? Mid to high 100s, 50 new homes, walk to downtown?

Old 04-14-2014, 05:45 AM

Thank for your input everyone. I understand what you're saying about Carrboro, and I agree, it's just that most homes there are out of my price range. I did a search and they are easily 300-400K. That's a big price difference to save up for

I'll check out some of the places in Durham that you mentioned. I understand that I have a tall order, and probably won't be able to find exactly what I want. I'll have to either sacrifice walkability to find homes in the 200K area with decent to good schools. I'll look into American Tobacco, and expand to some of Raleigh.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:13 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,059,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
For that matter, what about the Southside homes under construction just south of American Tobacco? Mid to high 100s, 50 new homes, walk to downtown?
Are these the homes you are referring to?
Southside - Downtown - B. Wallace Design & Construction - B. Wallace Design & Construction
Andrew Roby General Contractors - Affordable Homes in Durham, NC | Durham Southside Project

One of the builders has open houses: OPEN HOUSE: EVERY SATURDAY 1PM-4PM, Corner of South St. and Fargo St. Available homes in the 700 block of Fargo, and on Hillside Ave.

There are income qualifications one has to meet, but the OP might be eligible. The schools have 2 or 3 out of 10 ratings.

Last edited by goldenage1; 04-14-2014 at 07:48 AM..

Old 04-14-2014, 08:11 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,875,477 times
was about to also mention the new/renovated southside neighborhood here is some information on it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzydw9wIf6w
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina