Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 10:38 AM

97 posts, read 203,224 times

Advertisements

With all the people moving in from the Northeast?

I have no desire to move to North Carolina (I am from the North US and like it up here) but with all the people moving down from New York and all, how long do you think it will be, if newcomers don't assimilate, that North Carolina loses its Southern Culture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 10:49 AM

13,375 posts, read 27,093,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baybie Alyssa View Post
.... with all the people moving down from New York and all, how long do you think it will be, if newcomers don't assimilate, that North Carolina loses its Southern Culture?
it's unlike that Southern culture will ever die, as it is tied to families that have lived here for hundreds of years. The newcomers are only moving to the larger urban areas and certain retirement areas on the coast.

Go to a town like Ayden and hundreds of other small towns and you will still find local accents, BBQ places and Baptist churches.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:39 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,204,085 times
No.

Next question.

Old 12-24-2012, 05:08 PM

1,462 posts, read 2,965,269 times
Yes. A few miles outside of Raleigh and Charlotte, NC is southern to the bone. I'm sorry. Two metro areas are not going make a state of almost 10 million not southern. Atlanta has 5 million people with a whole bunch of transplants and it is still a southern city/state (ga)

Old 12-25-2012, 02:11 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,578,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybie alyssa View Post
with all the people moving in from the northeast?

I have no desire to move to north carolina (i am from the north us and like it up here) but with all the people moving down from new york and all, how long do you think it will be, if newcomers don't assimilate, that north carolina loses its southern culture?

Old 12-25-2012, 08:19 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,404,885 times
Probably like every others state and region we'll be divided between Rural Versus Urban.

When you add up the Triad, Triangle, Charlotte, Asheville and Wilmington that are growing rapidly...

I think in 5 more years we'll be a... Virginia type of state culturally.

I can honestly say I'd be very shocked if North Carolina went red next go around.

But again... It's going to be Urban. Versus Rural. Look at the Republican Primaries. Mitt won like 5 counties each where other repubs win like90% of counties.

Look at a presidential map that shows counties of Obama versus Romney and it will look all red with a few blue dots.

Last edited by Charlotte485; 12-25-2012 at 09:27 PM..

Old 12-27-2012, 03:24 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,848,737 times
The rural areas of this state are still almost 100% "Southern", particularly since what most think of as S"outhern" culture is mostly "rural" culture, and "Northern" culture is largely borne of urban culture.

Many say that the Triangle area and Charlotte are no longer "Southern", but even in Raleigh, there is still a very Southern "infrastructure"--it's mostly in the outlying suburbs where there are whole "enclaves" of Northerners who may live all day long and not encounter many Southerners. but even Raleigh and Charlotte still get a constant influx of people from other parts of the South and other parts of NC as people leve the small towns they grew up in and move to the "big city" which is often Raleigh or Charlotte.

"Northern" and "Southern" cultures coexist in the larger cities in NC but the vast majority of the state is still rural. Not to mention that most who move here are at least to some degree assimilated to the local culture and pick up "southern" likings for foods, etc...the ones who can't assimilate often move back. At the same time, new foods are brought into the area, but "NY Pizza", for example, will never be a "homegrown" food here.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:23 PM

494 posts, read 850,803 times
It's all rural vs urban. What you think of a Southern culture is present in rural Vermont or Wisconsin or Oregon. The only reason it is thought of as Southern is because the South until recently was completely rural with no major urban areas (Atlanta has been a relatively recent phenomenon). As the entire country becomes more urban, there will be less of this culture and it will become less politically powerful, but it won't go away.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:47 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,300,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguy17 View Post
It's all rural vs urban. What you think of a Southern culture is present in rural Vermont or Wisconsin or Oregon. The only reason it is thought of as Southern is because the South until recently was completely rural with no major urban areas (Atlanta has been a relatively recent phenomenon). As the entire country becomes more urban, there will be less of this culture and it will become less politically powerful, but it won't go away.
I agree. I used to live in Ohio, the rural areas there are very much in line with the stereotypical "Southern" image.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:29 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,315,883 times
North Carolina will always be southern in culture. I live here in Charlotte and I can tell you the "big" city of North Carolina is still southern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina