Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2013, 03:53 PM

5 posts, read 23,718 times

Advertisements

I am relocating for a job in Rocky Mount. I have narrowed it down to two cities, Clayton and Wilson. Clayton has a longer commute to work, but close to Raleigh and is family-oriented (I have a 5 yr old). Wilson is closer to work, but is farther to Raleigh. From what I've read, Clayton has better schools but is more expensive.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 04:15 PM

286 posts, read 653,723 times
Clayton to Rocky Mount would be awful to drive every day. There is no true highway between the two, just a bunch of country roads. I would definitely live in Wilson. It is still only 30-45 minutes from Raleigh.

http://goo.gl/maps/jzGqG

Old 01-14-2013, 04:24 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,209,898 times
I don't know where Wilson is, but living in Clayton, it takes a good 30 minutes to get to most parts of Raleigh anyhow-even downtown. So if Wilson wouldnt be that much more of a drive to Raleigh, I'd go for a shorter work commute.
I'm not at all impressed with Clayton schools, but this is our first year here.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:17 AM

2,023 posts, read 3,241,386 times
How long do you plan on living there? If long-term than I would avoid Wilson. I'm not a fan of Wilson. Clayton will continue to grow. It has a good future.

Goodbyesnow, Perhaps you moved to the wrong part of Clayton????

Residents love the Flower's/Portofino/Taft Woods area. I've visited there multiple times and have always heard positive remarks about the feeder schools. COUNTY taxes only, The Pineville Club is nice, and a new Harris Teeter is being built. That area will only continue to grow.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:41 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,264,777 times
Wilson is an older city, so it has the issues that stem from that. Clayton is growing at a crazy rate, and everything is newer. But, Wilson is a short trip on I95 to RM. And you can drive 70mph+ on US264 to get to Raleigh.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:12 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,902,251 times
I know you're choosing between these two, but I say look at Knightdale or Zebulon. I bleive they may be closer than Clayton.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:15 PM

25 posts, read 41,233 times
Yeah, Id say somewhere around knightdale-Zebulon would be the best for being near Raleigh

Old 01-17-2013, 09:37 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,264,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moodies80NC View Post
Yeah, Id say somewhere around knightdale-Zebulon would be the best for being near Raleigh
Can't beat that 264/64 straight shot, high speed, no stoplights. Especially compared to I-40 in Johnston County.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:34 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,209,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
How long do you plan on living there? If long-term than I would avoid Wilson. I'm not a fan of Wilson. Clayton will continue to grow. It has a good future.

Goodbyesnow, Perhaps you moved to the wrong part of Clayton????

Residents love the Flower's/Portofino/Taft Woods area. I've visited there multiple times and have always heard positive remarks about the feeder schools. COUNTY taxes only, The Pineville Club is nice, and a new Harris Teeter is being built. That area will only continue to grow.
I dunno-is Riverwood the wrong part? When moving here, I was told it was the closest to Raleigh because it is in North Clayton, but it sure doesnt seem close!
How do you know what places are County Taxes only? I cant believe that 5000/year is county only! Is it only certain parts of Clayton?

Old 01-19-2013, 06:42 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,241,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyesnow View Post
I dunno-is Riverwood the wrong part? When moving here, I was told it was the closest to Raleigh because it is in North Clayton, but it sure doesnt seem close!
How do you know what places are County Taxes only? I cant believe that 5000/year is county only! Is it only certain parts of Clayton?
The MLS listing tells you whether or not a specific property is located within city limits. Certain parts of Riverwood are within the city limits. Riverwood Athletic is located within the city limits. You pay both city AND county taxes living there. However-Riverwood Golf is not within city limits and you are only responsible for county taxes there!

Glen Laurel -City and County taxes
Portofino- County taxes
Flower's- County taxes
Northfort- County taxes

I've never been to Riverwood. I would never move there simply due to the double taxation! We are looking to pay between $400-475k for our next home. Who wants to pay a $6,000.00+ tax bill?! Not me. We pay both city and county taxes living here in New Bern and want to avoid doing so for our next home.

I also prefer the feel of the area around Flower's and Portofino. Plus, the Pineville Club is nice and a new Harris Teeter is being built there. I know they say that eventually the Pineville Club will be for resident's only, but I'm not buying it. Heck, Lifetime Fitness in Cary told me when I was a member there 6 years ago they'd eventually cap their memberships and that place has turned into a crowded zoo (my mom's words)! Gym's will never refuse members, especially at $100.00 per family/month. That's just the way it is.

I grew up in Cary and moved to New Bern 5 years ago. If you aren't familiar, New Bern is a small town (population 30k) a little less than 2 hours east of Clayton. We are wanting to move back to the Triangle. Ideally, I'd love to move back to Cary but it just won't work geographically. It's too far west. We'll probably end up in Clayton due to it's more convenient location for Hubby's work in the surrounding towns of Kinston, Fayetteville, New Bern, etc. Living in Clayton will be similar to living here in New Bern. They are both small towns and it's always a hike to get anywhere. I'm currently a 50 minute drive away from a Sam's, Toys R Us, etc. which are all located in the podunk military town of Jacksonville. I miss my weekly trips to stores we don't have here including Costco and Trader Joe's. If anything, living in Clayton will be a dramatic improvement because it's a 25-30 minute drive to the nice amenities of Raleigh/Cary. Clayton will be a breathe of fresh air compared to New Bern!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina