Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 08:38 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,601,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Pederman View Post
But seriously business is the largest major by enrollment and subsequently responsible for most of the dropouts. All those niche liberal arts programs like women's studies and interpretive dance have a handful of students and faculty. It wouldn't result in much cost savings to eliminate them.

It's almost as if there's an underlying motive...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 08:41 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,774,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Pederman View Post
If we're just cutting departments entirely
we're not, so it's a moot point.

Quote:
But seriously business is the largest major by enrollment and subsequently responsible for most of the dropouts. All those niche liberal arts programs like women's studies and interpretive dance have a handful of students and faculty. It wouldn't result in much cost savings to eliminate them.
I don't know what your source is, but according to this:
Frequently Requested Reports

"Arts and Sciences" at UNC-CH has 10 times the number of students than the business school.

And seeing as how the UNC system spends $1.4 billion on salaries and benefits for university personnel, we're not exactly pushing pennies around.

Most cost savings could be achieved not by eliminating entire departments, but simply shifting the funding away from research, and towards student instruction.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:44 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,168,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
As stated above, it's all about holding these public universities accountable for their results in the work force. You haven't once given me a valid reason as to why you think this is a "bad thing".

These universities are already accountable for their results. Students often make decisions about where to go to school and what to study based on their perceived long-term economic benefits. If a certain school, or certain majors, don't offer opportunity in the work place, they don't attract the best students. It's not as if they sit around dreaming up majors on a whim--they constantly evaluate the landscape to determine what curricula they should offer in order to produce successful graduates. The fallacy here is assuming schools aren't willing to tweak or change their course offerings to keep in step with demand--in reality it happens all the time. Women's studies, or any other major, wouldn't survive very long if its graduates aren't successful.

Another fallacy is assuming that the current unemployment rates have something to do with the education level of the work force. As others have noted, the jobs just aren't there right now; it doesn't matter what your major is if there are no jobs.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:05 AM

7,079 posts, read 12,367,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Another fallacy is assuming that the current unemployment rates have something to do with the education level of the work force. As others have noted, the jobs just aren't there right now; it doesn't matter what your major is if there are no jobs.
This is simply not true. I'm willing to bet that if only 70% of the jobs in this state that are hiring right now were able to find qualified workers, our state's U/E rate would probably drop to 8% (or lower). I personally know of people who are visiting Charlotte from out-of-state to do work because local companies have not been able to find qualified local talent. Some of the rentals uptown lease on a month-to-month (or short-lease) basis because we have that many out-of-state workers here due to the fact that local talent is lacking.

This isn't just an issue with our uptown jobs; it's all over. Whether it's transportation, medical, or construction jobs; local talent is lacking. This leads to talent moving in from elsewhere to snatch up the jobs that locals simply aren't qualified to do. It says alot when someone from Ohio is more qualified for a NC job than the person who was raised and educated in NC. IMO, we can do better.

UNC Chapel Hill's women's studies course is just the tip-top of a much bigger mountain. I think McCrory's point was quite clear. However, I do see alot of politically motivated cherry-picking on both sides surrounding this very broad issue. The real issue is simple. Is there a problem? YES. How do we fix it? (crickets)

Old 01-31-2013, 09:31 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,774,233 times
Quote:
These universities are already accountable for their results. Students often make decisions about where to go to school and what to study based on their perceived long-term economic benefits. If a certain school, or certain majors, don't offer opportunity in the work place, they don't attract the best students.
not true. high school students are advised to "do what they enjoy." they don't have the foresight to understand what's in demand in the job market.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:39 AM

54 posts, read 169,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
not true. high school students are advised to "do what they enjoy." they don't have the foresight to understand what's in demand in the job market.
I can't speak to the situation at all the schools in the state, but here in the Triangle, the pressure is early and relentless for students to "get into a good school," even overriding what they might be interested in.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:42 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,168,550 times
Quote:
This is simply not true. I'm willing to bet that if only 70% of the jobs in this state that are hiring right now were able to find qualified workers, our state's U/E rate would probably drop to 8% (or lower). I personally know of people who are visiting Charlotte from out-of-state to do work because local companies have not been able to find qualified local talent. Some of the rentals uptown lease on a month-to-month (or short-lease) basis because we have that many out-of-state workers here due to the fact that local talent is lacking.

This isn't just an issue with our uptown jobs; it's all over. Whether it's transportation, medical, or construction jobs; local talent is lacking. This leads to talent moving in from elsewhere to snatch up the jobs that locals simply aren't qualified to do. It says alot when someone from Ohio is more qualified for a NC job than the person who was raised and educated in NC. IMO, we can do better.

UNC Chapel Hill's women's studies course is just the tip-top of a much bigger mountain. I think McCrory's point was quite clear. However, I do see alot of politically motivated cherry-picking on both sides surrounding this very broad issue. The real issue is simple. Is there a problem? YES. How do we fix it? (crickets)

No offense, but you really don't know what you're talking about here. A few anecdotal examples that you've witnessed is hardly a sound basis for your conclusions. Here's a simple exercise--go look up how many unemployed people are in NC right now, and then look up how many total vacant jobs there are. The numbers aren't pretty.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:45 AM

106 posts, read 318,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I don't know what your source is, but according to this:
Frequently Requested Reports

"Arts and Sciences" at UNC-CH has 10 times the number of students than the business school.
You clicked on the wrong report. "Arts and Sciences" is a "college/school," not a major. Click on the report for majors.

The business school has one major, I believe. Arts and Sciences has a TON of different majors.

In 2010, there were 1326 Business Administration majors and 21 Women's Studies.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:53 AM

7,079 posts, read 12,367,402 times
Quote:
No offense, but you really don't know what you're talking about here. A few anecdotal examples that you've witnessed is hardly a sound basis for your conclusions. Here's a simple exercise--go look up how many unemployed people are in NC right now, and then look up how many total vacant jobs there are. The numbers aren't pretty.
I don't have to "look up" a thing because I know for a fact that many jobs simply don't post. Quite a few by-pass that route and go directly to local universities and/or tech schools; when that fails they simply move people around from other company locations out-of-state. You honestly sound like someone who has been retired for a long time. Many jobs are networking, word-of-mouth, or promote-from-within. Even my 9 year old son can tell you that much.

Which brings up another issue. These universities could stand to do a better job of teaching these young-bucks how to network and get their foot in the doors; even if it means taking the bottom-feed jobs. Too many of our "higher educated" youth seem to graduate from college with the attitude of "my degree is society's permit to serve me". WRONG!!! That degree is actually their permit to serve society.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 01-31-2013 at 10:01 AM..

Old 01-31-2013, 09:53 AM

34,131 posts, read 83,135,870 times
Quote:
UNC Chapel Hill's women's studies course is just the tip-top of a much bigger mountain.
I think McCrory's point was quite clear.
He's just going for the low hanging fruit. Once you get past this marginal (10%?)...
there's no where to go that won't create bigger problems than what they want to think is being solved.

Quote:
However, I do see a lot of politically motivated cherry-picking on both sides surrounding
this very broad issue. The real issue is simple. Is there a problem? YES. How do we fix it?
Short term? Fool (often desperate) out of state people into thinking they'll have it or like it better.
Long term? Far better wages and salaries than most NC employers will want to pay.

Quote:
I personally know of people who are visiting Charlotte from out-of-state to do work
because local companies have not been able to find qualified local talent.
Were these companies ever able to find that talent locally?

Unless there is some new whiz-bang technology involved I'll suggest that the question
to investigate is what happened to the NC people who used to do these jobs.

Setting the harder to calculate skilled trades aside...
what percentage of UNC and State graduates leave NC to live and work elsewhere?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina