Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 08:48 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times

Advertisements

Sponsor of the bill Hurley; Warren; Shepard; (Primary)
Blust; R. Brawley; Brody; B. Brown; Cleveland; Faircloth; Floyd; Fulghum; Luebke; Malone; McNeill; Moffitt; Pittman; Presnell; Setzer;

Want to bring cursive hand writing to be taught in North Carolina schools. A handwriting techinue that is used no where in society of today except for signatures.
Even a lot of documents will also ask to print your name due to a lot of cursive written is to messy to make out.

IMO I think North Carolina schools should concentrate on typing, computer training and reading and appropriate skills in the English classes.

The bill also would include It would also require students to "memorize multiplication tables to demonstrate competency in efficiently.

I didnt know that was an issue, Im definitely in favor of that as an adult it allows me to quickly count.
'Back to Basics' bill would require cursive writing instruction :: WRAL.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 09:18 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,317,781 times
I am all for the foundational basics brought back into education. So I am plus+ on this initiative.

Afterall it was people with those foundational basics that got us to the moon and back. Even to the point of Apollo 13 commander doing the formula on the back of a gum wrapper that got them back safely.

We have been importing our academic talent for too long.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:13 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,022,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
I am all for the foundational basics brought back into education. So I am plus+ on this initiative.
Let's start teaching Greek and Latin again, then.

Quote:
Afterall it was people with those foundational basics that got us to the moon and back. Even to the point of Apollo 13 commander doing the formula on the back of a gum wrapper that got them back safely.
That has absolutely nothing to do with writing cursive.

Quote:
We have been importing our academic talent for too long.
We import academic technicians. People good at crunching numbers and following instructions. The innovation still largely comes from creative Americans in those fields.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:29 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,317,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Let's start teaching Greek and Latin again, then.

That has absolutely nothing to do with writing cursive.

We import academic technicians. People good at crunching numbers and following instructions. The innovation still largely comes from creative Americans in those fields.
Disagree totally, but that is the good thing about America.

we can

Old 03-02-2013, 10:49 AM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
Growing up in the age when handwriting was taught from print to cursive, I can attest to the fact teaching cursive will make the signer's handwriting no more legible than finger painting makes one an artist.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:01 PM

160 posts, read 235,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
The reality is that this hasn't been true for a while now. I work in one of these highly technical, cutting edge fields. A very large percentage of the best, most innovative engineers are not from the US. Innovation happens here because the majority of companies are based here - so the best folks come here. That's changing though.

I've also got elementary aged kids. I see the stuff they bring home. I'm all for adding back in more fundamentals. Writing cursive may not directly result in a skill that allows you to advance. However, it allows you to write faster and helps with fine motor control. Both of those are useful. Making sure kids memorize multiplication tables - a no-brainer in my book.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:25 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,022,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkman View Post
The reality is that this hasn't been true for a while now. I work in one of these highly technical, cutting edge fields. A very large percentage of the best, most innovative engineers are not from the US. Innovation happens here because the majority of companies are based here - so the best folks come here. That's changing though.

I've also got elementary aged kids. I see the stuff they bring home. I'm all for adding back in more fundamentals. Writing cursive may not directly result in a skill that allows you to advance. However, it allows you to write faster and helps with fine motor control. Both of those are useful. Making sure kids memorize multiplication tables - a no-brainer in my book.
That is more because the best American engineering grads can make far more money in other fields. It's not that they don't have the skills. I don't buy that there is a some shortage of engineers. It's a narrative the engineering companies to relax immigration laws to save money. I work at a university and I see the foreign students and American students. The American students are better in general at finding answers to problems with gray areas.

Yes, mathematics should be better taught and taught earlier in our schools. I am all for the multiplication tables, which I'm sure are taught anyway. But cursive is just silly.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:57 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
I'm 100% on board with the principle of teaching cursive writing.
The problem.. is what won't be taught because of the time involved.

How to write in cursive - YouTube

The Palmer Method

Palmer Method - YouTube

Old 03-03-2013, 03:52 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,598,169 times
The bill implies that it's for kids up through the fifth grade. I have no issues with them wanting to teach better handwriting at a young age. I'm surprised that it's been taken out. Not that learning cursive is assured to leading to better handwriting, but so many adult can barely write legibly, so I think this can only help.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:51 PM

848 posts, read 1,120,582 times
Jobs? Clean air? Clean water? How about working to get 1,000,000's of rural residents access to the internet for training, education, medical help?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina