Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2007, 04:38 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times

Advertisements

haha,

Ok it time for serious change coming in a few weeks during the elections.
I know I can find who are our state senators and representives but how do I find what party they are with and who is up for election this year?

Apparently current goverment is not working!!

Especially whoever is head of Transportation.
I dont see what the harm is turning all new road projects into toll rolls til they are paid for.
This TIP system is not working.
The state needs to give local metros more ownership or funding to do the road repairs in their areas since the state lacks the sense of urgency.

OOO tax break would be nice for once
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 07:22 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,033,385 times
Quote:
I know I can find who are our state senators and representives but how do I find what party they are with and who is up for election this year?
Ohhhh, I'm sure they'll let you know. Your mailboxes will be filled with election carp and the roadsides littered with signs (I thought there was a rule that those things were supposed to be cleaned up after elections? In our area, they stayed until roadside cleanup volunteers swept them away)

Seriously, there are several sites, both partisan and not. For one, check
North Carolina Elections, North Carolina Candidates and North Carolina Politics

Quote:
I tried looking at NC.gov and have a handful of hair to show for how aggravating that site can be to navigate. Maybe check NCDOT: Home ?

Actually, I'm wondering if that position is an appointed one? Maybe through the governor's office?

Quote:
The state needs to give local metros more ownership or funding to do the road repairs in their areas since the state lacks the sense of urgency.
Eh, well, if they do, I know the $$ given to the county I live in is not well-spent. The last several years, I've seen road crews doing nothing but re-digging ditches along county roads. Now, we haven't had any drainage problems; I thought the current condition of those ditches were fine; but they were scooped and rocked and made pretty, only to go back to their original state in a year or so

To some extent, the local areas do have some control in that the state lets out to bid for projects Project Letting Page
Being the inveterate web surfer that I am, I found that link kinda neat. If you want to burrow down through the various parent directories and wait for PDFs to open, you can find out about upcoming road projects. I suppose you could let your voice be known by e-mailing NCDOT to tell them your opinion of some of the construction companies who have worked on roads in the past, telling them you hope someone else's bid is taken for any new projects ........ for what it's worth

Over all, election years do tend to bring out my bristling side, especially over the last decade. The internet is a great thing for researching candidates instead of depending on flyers and pandering speeches. If you have time, just google the people. During our last local election, I researched our candidates: their stand on issues, who endorsed them, which local organizations they fawned upon to get support. At the very least, it makes for a well-researched argument with some of my co-workers who have opposing views: "why in the WORLD would you vote for Mr. Fumpbrickle?! Didn't you read that he sat down for a BBQ fund raiser put on by the Association for Support of Sillystring (ASS)?!" "Who would vote for a nimrod like that?"

Old 10-27-2007, 10:39 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,430,380 times
Are you referring to the dark state roads of Charlotte like 277?

Old 10-27-2007, 03:58 PM

219 posts, read 853,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
haha,

Ok it time for serious change coming in a few weeks during the elections.

Apparently current goverment is not working!!

I dont see what the harm is turning all new road projects into toll rolls til they are paid for.
This TIP system is not working.

OOO tax break would be nice for once
Sunny
You guys should travel on New Jersey roads.
When it rains.............like today...........it's swimming time. We haven't solved the rain run off problem yet.
As I sat in traffic was wondering what the hay they do with all the taxes we pay here. What services do we get?
You folks in NC, compared to NJ have some of the CLEANEST and nicest roads ever ever ever.
See, in NJ you can go into the junk business driving on our roads. Just stop every 100 yards and pick up some junk to resell.
Oh, and you can also pick some used diapers, oil cans and maybe even a couple of half eaten sandwiches.
Our dear politicians this election period are really concerned about health insurance. Yeah, right. It is a popular theme these days so the politicians can avoid everything else.
AND TAX BREAK?
I laugh when people up here tell me that NC taxes ALL kinds of things and I better be careful about moving. Oh boy, I'm really scared to death of that $800.00 a year property tax I'll face in NC as opposed to the $3800.00 I'm paying now.
Hey, if the pols in NC want to give a tax break I won't be complaining.

Old 10-27-2007, 04:30 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Sunnykayak, It is not as simple as finding one person who is responsible for all of the roads. It is a matter of cooperation of county, state, and local government. I think there is a lot of politicing going on now and the person who is the most responsible may just be causing a smoke screen. I am not talking about anyone in particular. The Union County Commissioners were discussing the toll road recently in a meeting, but they are not the only ones involved in that either.

You can go to the Board of elections website and find all of our representatives. If I were in Mecklenburg County, that is the first place I would start.

North Carolina General Assembly - Home Page--This website also has the NC Statutes. These are the laws all these people use to operate in the system. I will not say I understand it, but it is very complicated.

NCDOT: Division of Highways

Last edited by NCN; 10-27-2007 at 05:00 PM..

Old 10-28-2007, 04:19 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,690,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
<snip>
I tried looking at NC.gov and have a handful of hair to show for how aggravating that site can be to navigate.
Maybe check NCDOT: Home ?
<snip>
Oh thank goodness I thought it was just me
it could use some navigation help for sure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina