Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 07:00 PM

564 posts, read 873,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Yeah, that is exactly what I meant.
I am sure you would feel different if you were standing in line....say at the DMV.....and the wait time is 5 hours because of deteriorating service levels since there is no threat of the state employees losing their job due to protections.

Like I said, it is easy to see the political flow on this board and the regular Republican bashing. In the end, it really isn't getting you anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 02:28 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,765,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Pederman View Post
It's pretty much nothing more than getting rid of what due process protections there are to make political firings of career staff easier. If it passes expect to see an increase in turnover and employee morale drop lower than it is already.

That is an astonishingly naive understanding of both public and private sector workplaces.

That and they'll just get someone else in the department to cover the duties of that position in addition to their own. Reduction through attrition works the same way.
And due process is guaranteed to public workers so I'm glad someone brought it up so I don't have to read the rest of this thread. The government firing someone is an act of the government depriving someone of their property which is a basic liberty. Having not read the article I'll stop there.

But, what you said about private employees is different. It doesn't take 400+ days to get the average at-will case thrown out because without a contract you don't have any rights. Public servants may not have a contract either but their rights are the same as the rest of us. Due process like you said. Not because it is a fundamental employee right but because it is the government doing the acting.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
And due process is guaranteed to public workers so I'm glad someone brought it up so I don't have to read the rest of this thread. The government firing someone is an act of the government depriving someone of their property which is a basic liberty. Having not read the article I'll stop there.

But, what you said about private employees is different. It doesn't take 400+ days to get the average at-will case thrown out because without a contract you don't have any rights. Public servants may not have a contract either but their rights are the same as the rest of us. Due process like you said. Not because it is a fundamental employee right but because it is the government doing the acting.
Why should there be any difference between employee rights for public employees versus private employees. Whatever protections are put in place, shouldn't there be consistency and fairness to all.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:59 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,777 times
janster, I don't know if it would be considered having "more rights" than private sector employees, but one very important issue in government vs. private sector is undue political influence. Generally rank and file government employees should not be subject to firing/disciplinary action for their political beliefs and actions, and this is encoded in state personnel policies.

But more to the point of this thread, the issue I have with this (as I noted in an earlier post) is that McCrory is suggesting the wrong solution for the problem. If the appeals process is inefficient or broken, then take the necessary steps to address the causes and fix them. His suggestion is to simply reduce the number of positions that are allowed to appeal. This is akin to saying "Cancer treatments are long and drawn out, and because of that we're going to cut in half the number of victims who are eligible for treatment." Of course that makes no sense, but that's what he's suggesting here.

Last edited by arbyunc; 05-09-2013 at 07:05 AM..

Old 05-09-2013, 06:52 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,552,562 times
It's not a civil right to leach off the government payroll. If you suck at your job, if you are corrupt, you should get FIRED!!! The same way Harry Jones got booted in a public forum. That's what I call fundemental change.

Last edited by ClevelandMike; 05-09-2013 at 06:53 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-09-2013, 07:09 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
It's not a civil right to leach off the government payroll. If you suck at your job, if you are corrupt, you should get FIRED!!! The same way Harry Jones got booted in a public forum. That's what I call fundemental change.

I actually agree with you for once (although I don't know of this Harry Jones to whom you refer)...if you suck and/or are corrupt, you should be fired. And no one is suggesting otherwise in this thread from what I can tell. The issue is not whether someone deserves to be fired, but rather what (and how many) positions should be exempt from state personnel policies designed to protect employees from wrongful termination.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:02 AM

910 posts, read 1,319,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janster100 View Post
Why should there be any difference between employee rights for public employees versus private employees. Whatever protections are put in place, shouldn't there be consistency and fairness to all.
Definitely. Private sector employees need to fight harder to ensure their rights, like public sector employees have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
But more to the point of this thread, the issue I have with this (as I noted in an earlier post) is that McCrory is suggesting the wrong solution for the problem. If the appeals process is inefficient or broken, then take the necessary steps to address the causes and fix them. His suggestion is to simply reduce the number of positions that are allowed to appeal. This is akin to saying "Cancer treatments are long and drawn out, and because of that we're going to cut in half the number of victims who are eligible for treatment." Of course that makes no sense, but that's what he's suggesting here.
Exactly. The right thing to do, if it's really such a massive problem, would be to hire more appeals judges to process the casework faster. This is all about looking at a stat and fixing the stat without addressing the underlying issue.

Last edited by J. Pederman; 05-09-2013 at 10:14 AM..

Old 05-09-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
janster, I don't know if it would be considered having "more rights" than private sector employees, but one very important issue in government vs. private sector is undue political influence. Generally rank and file government employees should not be subject to firing/disciplinary action for their political beliefs and actions, and this is encoded in state personnel policies.

There are "politics" in the private sector as well. Ask anyone that has worked in a large corporation. McCrory, just like any other leader, gave an executive overview. There was no "detailed" plan listed in the article. What we do see on this thread is a bunch of people jumping to conclusions. It really is not that hard to lay out a very simplified plan for appeals. Other state governments do this, private business does this, and the state of North Carolina can do this as well.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:21 PM

910 posts, read 1,319,264 times
The funniest part is the proposed changes will make it easier for nepotism and the good ol' boy network to flourish.

Also under the new regs the appeals process can still take up to 7 months to go through:

http://www.wral.com/nc-employees-gro...nges/12425680/

Old 05-09-2013, 04:46 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janster100 View Post
I am sure you would feel different if you were standing in line....say at the DMV.....and the wait time is 5 hours because of deteriorating service levels since there is no threat of the state employees losing their job due to protections.

Like I said, it is easy to see the political flow on this board and the regular Republican bashing. In the end, it really isn't getting you anywhere.
You take one item from the article and dwell on it which, is your perogative. You are naive to believe a policy such as this would bring top notch service into the government sector. It doesn't work that way or that well in the private sector.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina