Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 07:54 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times

Advertisements

None of this compares to cigarette lawsuits. They were, for MANY years, marketed as safe and non habit-forming. Instead, they are addictive and cause cancer.

I don't think people expect a double cheeseburger or a large Coke to be "health food."

Old 07-12-2013, 08:14 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
real sugar vs cornsyrup
[hulu=http://www.flickr.com/photos/223360]EHel5e5VyUxFhH7osCb1Hg[/hulu]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 08:28 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
OK, then following your logic, people should be able to sue Apple when...
Yes, exactly. Emphasis on the "able to" aspect.
Not prevented from ever being able to have their voice heard through due process of law.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:11 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Yes, exactly. Emphasis on the "able to" aspect.
Not prevented from ever being able to have their voice heard through due process of law.
Very true. There's no law barring idiots from bringing ridiculous lawsuits.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:19 AM

910 posts, read 1,319,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Anyways I refuse to be baited in your attempt to throw this thread off topic and not discuss the law.

Its a good law in preventing frivolous law suits of suing companies because one is obese.

Its common sense if one is going to ingest calories its their personal responsibility in maintaining a healthy BMI.

If so
What are you talking about? I'm not derailing anything. You're the one who said you thought it was common sense, to which I merely responded that with the more plausible explanation that it's a cynical political ploy by some politicians to take advantage of something that was in the news to further endear themselves to their voter base, and won't actually prevent any lawsuits.

How is that an "attempt to throw this thread off topic and not discuss the law"? That's pretty much the definition of discussing the law. You're the one who started that line of discussion. If you don't want to have any dissenting opinion on the law's utility and only want a thread praising it, then explicitly state so at the outset. Disagreeing with you is not derailing a thread off-topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Very true. There's no law barring idiots from bringing ridiculous lawsuits.
And that's the court's job to determine what's ridiculous and what isn't, which they do a pretty good job of. The vast majority of suits, over 90%, get thrown out or mediated and never make it to court.

Last edited by J. Pederman; 07-12-2013 at 10:30 AM..

Old 07-12-2013, 11:06 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
None of this compares to cigarette lawsuits. They were, for MANY years, marketed as safe and non habit-forming. Instead, they are addictive and cause cancer.

I don't think people expect a double cheeseburger or a large Coke to be "health food."
I would 100% agree with you, and with SunnyKayak if it weren't for this little nugget:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
North Carolina is one of handful of states that follows the tort of contributory negligence, in which a plaintiff recovers nothing even if only slightly to blame for what happened.
So going back to the sugar and advertising, and whatnot. Our FDA has been bought, just like every other political agency, to the point where companies can market their food as healthy, they can say it's 100% whole wheat (for example), when in fact it's nothing close. They can hide that it's got HFCS by calling it a different name, they can market things with "medically proven facts" that are totally bogus, saying how it is good for you.

Yes, I realize that if I eat Cheeseburgers all the time, and sit on my arse and drink soda, I'm going to be fat. But when I give that up for a life of excercise, and start eating "healthy choice" entree's, to get on track, then I'd say I've been mislead. (I would never do that, I tend to inform myself, and know what kind of crap goes into most processed food. I eat it sometimes, not often, but do so knowing my risks.)

As with just about ANY political argument, there is no black and white, there is no "one side is right" answer. People need to take responsibility, but so do corporations. If you think Monsanto is out there fornucating people right up the posterior for anything other than greed and total apathy for people's well-being, than we'd probably not see 100% eye-to-eye...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina