Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 10:31 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,899,273 times

Advertisements

N.C. falls out of top 10 on CNBC?s best states for business - Triangle Business Journal

Last year NC ranked No.4 on CNBC’s America’s Top States for Business feature, but it’s a different story this year. In the 2013 version of the list, North Carolina dropped eight spots to No. 12, the first time the Tar Heel State has failed to make the top 10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 10:37 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
N.C. falls out of top 10 on CNBC?s best states for business - Triangle Business Journal

Last year NC ranked No.4 on CNBC’s America’s Top States for Business feature, but it’s a different story this year. In the 2013 version of the list, North Carolina dropped eight spots to No. 12, the first time the Tar Heel State has failed to make the top 10.
It doesn't surprise me. It's not all about taxes. It's about stability.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:45 PM

7,824 posts, read 4,565,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post

This is tremendous news. The only issue most conservative republicans understand is money. There might be a lot of white noise on social issues, but at the end of the day an accountant's ledger is all that really matters. Hit 'em in the checkbook and they fold like a two dollar suitcase. So yes, this is great news. If they don't turn on each other like caged weasels grabbing the last penny on the table, voters most certainly will do it for them come election time.

As noted above, corporate America has no use for an unstable regulatory environment. Their tax and accounting departments hate it, HR hates it, marketing hates it and business development hates it. Very telling that this rating came out so quickly, usually it takes years to start the sink into the abyss.

You don't put thoughtful moderate policies in the blender (let alone arrest scores of people week after week after weeks after week) without being noticed and having consequences.

One last time, this is great news.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:39 PM

173 posts, read 296,967 times
The list is a joke.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:41 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
This is tremendous news. The only issue most conservative republicans understand is money. There might be a lot of white noise on social issues, but at the end of the day an accountant's ledger is all that really matters. Hit 'em in the checkbook and they fold like a two dollar suitcase. So yes, this is great news. If they don't turn on each other like caged weasels grabbing the last penny on the table, voters most certainly will do it for them come election time.

As noted above, corporate America has no use for an unstable regulatory environment. Their tax and accounting departments hate it, HR hates it, marketing hates it and business development hates it. Very telling that this rating came out so quickly, usually it takes years to start the sink into the abyss.

You don't put thoughtful moderate policies in the blender (let alone arrest scores of people week after week after weeks after week) without being noticed and having consequences.

One last time, this is great news.
Talk about static. And cost of doing business certainly is big one and that is one of the things the GA is trying to address. So it might be that if they get their way and it works (according to them) then we'll be higher next time now that the dems are out of the mansion.

Meanwhile:

Quote:
weighting the categories based on how frequently they are cited in state economic development marketing materials. That way, our study ranks the states based on the criteria they use to sell themselves.”
In other words, if we change to only talk about technology and innovation then we'll be number one next year right?

Old 07-16-2013, 06:45 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,447,728 times
The only thing more ridiculous than these lists is the people who put an ounce of stock in them. Especially the ones like a couple posts above who actually think something like this is going to bolster their political agenda.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:48 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Talk about static. And cost of doing business certainly is big one and that is one of the things the GA is trying to address. So it might be that if they get their way and it works (according to them) then we'll be higher next time now that the dems are out of the mansion.
Methinks you read it backwards or didn't read it at all:
"North Carolina’s previously lowest ranking on the list came in 2009 when the state was No. 9. Except for that year and a No. 6 ranking in 2008, North Carolina has been in the study’s top five since the list’s inception in 2007."

The republicans have been in the "mansion" for nearly two years then the state drops out of the top ten.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:53 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Methinks you read it backwards or didn't read it at all:
And with that kind of disconnect from reality no reason to read past here as future comments from you would be ad ad hominem.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:33 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Am I missing something here? According to this paragraph from the article, the cost of doing business in North Carolina was one of the causes for the lower ranking.

"North Carolina scored highly for its workforce and for its technology and innovation, ranking No. 3 and No. 10 in those respective categories. But it didn't perform nearly as well on costs of doing business and quality of life, ranking No. 32 and No. 30, respectively."

Granted, a lot of the new legislation the republicans are passing is looney toons, but ranking #32 on "cost of doing business" seems like something that should be addressed and improved.

It might be one of the few things the republicans get right if they have their way.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:57 PM

7,824 posts, read 4,565,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
And with that kind of disconnect from reality no reason to read past here as future comments from you would be ad ad hominem.
With all due respect, there's appears to be a lot of reality disconnect percolating out of the state these days.

Believe me or don't believe me, I really don't much care, but the North Carolina brand is being hurt. Period.
Feel free to blame it on the press, liberal 'yankees', crazed internet posters, whatever. When there is near continuous messaging about politically divisive policies, regular arrests during protests and documented backtracking or outright agenda changes by the chief executive, the brand is hurt. Doesn't matter if it's soda pop, jet aircraft or high tech services, abrupt changes in the social, political, regulatory or institutional climate from moderation to extreme (be it left or right) is going to hurt the brand.

I don't feel the need to offer my bona fides other than to say I do a good deal of travel throughout the country and this state is undeniably being considered in a different light than prior to the election and current GA session. What was once a no brainer as far as being considered for a place to expand, to enter the marketplace, to relocate is now being closely watched and more carefully examined. Mostly along the lines of "Is it worth the hassle vs. elsewhere that might offer similar benefits without the drama"

Again, I don't much care other than having made a investment in a Raleigh residence that I'd like to use in retirement. If it doesn't work out, I'll be fine. I have no worries I'll make a handsome gain on the property, I'll take my skills, desire for community service and sizable bank account elsewhere. I'll be saddened that a very promising place made a deliberate choice to pander to short sighted political hucksterism.

Best of luck, folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina