Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 12:10 PM

9 posts, read 23,471 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm in Ohio, and would love to move to NC. I am looking for a somewhat quiet town, yet not out in the middle of nowhere! I am only 22, so maybe a town that offers work! LoL. I would like to live no more than an hour and a half from the ocean. I am white, but don't want to live somewhere that if I am not racist I'm the minority, I would rather not be surrounded by racism! Can anyone help? I would really like some suggestions on what cities to look at!! Thanks a bunch!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 12:26 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaLeaveOhio View Post
Hi! I'm in Ohio, and would love to move to NC. I am looking for a somewhat quiet town, yet not out in the middle of nowhere! I am only 22, so maybe a town that offers work! LoL. I would like to live no more than an hour and a half from the ocean. I am white, but don't want to live somewhere that if I am not racist I'm the minority, I would rather not be surrounded by racism! Can anyone help? I would really like some suggestions on what cities to look at!! Thanks a bunch!!
WannaLeaveOhio;8602796]Hi! I'm in Ohio, and would love to move to NC - you and everyone else I'm afriad.

Not sure NC is where you really want to come right now - our unemployment is one of the highest in the country, and one reason is because people keep flooding here without jobs. IF you can get a job you might enjoy the Raleigh area. Good luck.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:14 PM

141 posts, read 322,995 times
Begin with finding a job. If that doesn't happen don't move.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:10 PM

Thanks. I have wanted to live in NC for as long as I can remember, it just sucks that the economy is the way it is right now! Ohio isn't doing to good either!

Old 05-01-2009, 05:01 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,245,698 times
WLO, ok this is what we did when we decided to leave So. NJ after 911. Both my husband and I had high profile jobs and wanted out of the rat race. Your age is a big plus because NC needs workers that have a good work ethic. I knew that I was not going to work outside the home & we started putting money away and doing a lot of research. My dh took a part time job in a Major Home Improvement Store. It took us 2 years to settle in E. NC--a big college town 1 1/2-2 hrs. to Atlantic Beach, Wilmington. He got a transfer down here with lateral pay. We love where we live. We are considered "country", that being said, we are 5 miles from any store and he is 2.8 mi. away from work and comes home for lunch everyday. Good luck, but definitely get a job first. The only franchise restaurant we do not have in TGI Friday's. We have 218 restaurants within 8 miles. If I can help you just dm me. kelsie

Old 05-01-2009, 06:14 PM

Thanks a lot! I was just looking at rental prices in the rocky mount and greenville areas. Are those good areas? My friend is in the medical field, an STNA. I am currently on hold from school because of money! I want to go to school for Health Care Administration though! But basically, I will do work from a factory to an office. I don't care, as long as it pays the bills and so will she! Do you know of any local websites to check out for jobs and/or living? Also, is cost of living higher there? Thanks a ton!

Old 05-02-2009, 10:32 AM

646 posts, read 2,049,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaLeaveOhio View Post
Thanks a lot! I was just looking at rental prices in the rocky mount and greenville areas. Are those good areas? My friend is in the medical field, an STNA. I am currently on hold from school because of money! I want to go to school for Health Care Administration though! But basically, I will do work from a factory to an office. I don't care, as long as it pays the bills and so will she! Do you know of any local websites to check out for jobs and/or living? Also, is cost of living higher there? Thanks a ton!
If you are looking to go back to school, you are going to want to look towards Greenville more then Rocky Mount. That being said, The Triangle area isn't that far from the coast either.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:46 AM

444 posts, read 1,143,544 times
N.C. is the place for hospitals and health care. The cost of living isnt higher because we get lower pay obviously and there are many taxes. But we have everything any other state does.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:57 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,209,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raivere View Post
N.C. is the place for hospitals and health care. The cost of living isnt higher because we get lower pay obviously and there are many taxes. But we have everything any other state does.

Been here 3 months.
Made 1 trip to OBX.
Have driven most backroads from Raleigh to Smithfield
One nasty seafood dinner
One GREAT seafood dinner
Wonderful trips into Raleigh
Have had the best time so far!

NC seems to have everything other states do--->but they are closer together...YEAH!!

Old 07-30-2013, 01:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,499 times
Default Becareful

Try and do your research. You don't want to move to North Raleigh since it is very generic. It has no character. It's just for transition and short time folks. Cary in very shallow and yuppie. Try looking in Central Raleigh, Chapel Hill or select areas in DUrham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina