Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 07:23 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,537,449 times

Advertisements

As of this year I can finally say I have been to Murphy to Manteo . I love vacationing in the state I grew up in and I like living here too but I think Im running out of options of some place new. This year for the first time I been to Murphy, Cherokee, Rockford, Jefferson, Hiddendite, Swans Quarters, Butner, Cherryville, Roanoke Rapids, Elizabeth City. Some of these was for leisure and some where buisness.

All the major cities I have been in except Wilson and Rocky Mount ; I havent found a reason or purpose to go to them yet.

Areas that I hope to explore are the Crystal Coast, New Bern, Oriental, Beaufort, Saluda.

My favorite where I woke up to the beauty of this state that since I grew up here always took for granted is the outer banks. Such Serene Peace.

I would love to here places in this state you hope to go to soon and what draws you to go check it out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 07:38 AM

139 posts, read 550,788 times
Have you been to Edenton? Lots of history, pretty and some neat places to stay.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:53 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
One of the very few places I haven't ever been to in NC that is on my "must see" list one of these days Sunny is Fontana Lake and Dam waaaaaay over in far western NC. It is supposed to be so beautiful there, but the drive is over 4 hours from Charlotte so just a bit much for a weekend visit for me. But I WILL get there eventually, you should consider going too

Lake Fontana, Robbinsville, Stecoah, Topoco, Santeetlah, Fontana Village, Graham County, Western North Carolina

Graham County North Carolina -- Fontana Dam Two

TVA: Fontana Reservoir

Secret in the Smokys

Old 11-17-2008, 12:26 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,106,001 times
NC native here and sadly I've never been to Cape Hatteras. That one is personally the most unacceptable one, but here are some others:

Murphy
Cashiers
Highlands
Oriental
Bald Head Island
Shelby
Rutherfordton
Ocracoke

Old 11-17-2008, 01:33 PM

917 posts, read 2,299,803 times
Have not been to Charlotte area or to the Maggie Valley area. Have no desire to go to Charlotte but I would LOVE to go to Maggie Valley.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:35 PM

917 posts, read 2,299,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
NC native here and sadly I've never been to Cape Hatteras. That one is personally the most unacceptable one, but here are some others:

Murphy
Cashiers
Highlands
Oriental
Bald Head Island
Shelby
Rutherfordton
Ocracoke
Actually what's most unacceptable is that you have never been to Ocracoke!

Old 11-17-2008, 02:27 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann in Oriental View Post
Have not been to Charlotte area or to the Maggie Valley area. Have no desire to go to Charlotte but I would LOVE to go to Maggie Valley.
Too bad you don't feel you need to visit Charlotte - it's a very clean, lovely city with GREAT museums, malls, restuarants and people. I don't think you realize what exactly you are missing.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:48 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,537,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
One of the very few places I haven't ever been to in NC that is on my "must see" list one of these days Sunny is Fontana Lake and Dam waaaaaay over in far western NC. It is supposed to be so beautiful there, but the drive is over 4 hours from Charlotte so just a bit much for a weekend visit for me. But I WILL get there eventually, you should consider going too

This place looks and what you stated seems cool. I think what I need to do is plan something geared to doing some kayaking and explore that way because this state has loads of rivers.
I just need a good source for outfitters because Im generally to tired to paddle back upstream.
I know what you mean though generally when I reach the mountains Im just happy with that lol I never felt the strong urge to explore the west side of the appalachians
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post

Murphy
Cashiers
Highlands
Oriental
Bald Head Island
Shelby
Rutherfordton
Ocracoke
The reason I visited Murphey because it furtherst western city and I was in Cherokee and said this closest I been to that city go check it out.
So I did was there for five minutes snap a few pictures and headed back but Hey I know have been to both ends of highway 64 in this state.

Cashiers & Highlands I been through but I didnt really pay attention to them since there really just suburbs of Asheville Highlands more higher end.
Shelby is a classic historical North Carolina southern town. It also self sufficient meaning the residents dont need to go anywhere else for their needs. You also around beautiful foothills and start to have mountain views. Highway 74 is fun way to travel to the mountains some areas are bland though. (It too interstate like).
You can get some good off season rates at the outer banks . Ocracoke is cool and Im not big on like alot people are but it nice Corolla is to high end design for my taste but Buxton is a classic southern fishing village where Cape Hatteras is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann in Oriental View Post
If you go to Maggie Valley try to stay at one of the many cute mountain side motels they are cute and upkept well it will add to your experience.
Have your brakes check before you go and windshield clean the roads especially hwy 19 has some hair pin curves. My partner said I was driving like a old folk on our trip to Harrahs and I was slow down everytime I pass someone driving at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmomtothree View Post
Have you been to Edenton? Lots of history, pretty and some neat places to stay.
Know but give me some hints? The sound side cities I know nothing about because generally if I am going to beach I dont go near these cities because I have to see the ocean but I know that been unfair to the Sound cities. Can I tour kayak there Sell it to me...

Old 11-18-2008, 06:26 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,106,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Know but give me some hints? The sound side cities I know nothing about because generally if I am going to beach I dont go near these cities because I have to see the ocean but I know that been unfair to the Sound cities. Can I tour kayak there Sell it to me...
I've only done a day trip to Edenton, but I want to go back for more. Its a beautiful historic town with an awesome waterfront setting. You could, and absolutely should, plan on doing some kayak touring there. Another great and often overlooked waterfront is in "little" Washington. My in-laws live about 20 minutes up the road from there and its great. Its another spot that I'd highly advise planning to put your boat in the water.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:22 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,519,093 times
I have been all over this state, tiny burgs, cross roads communities . . . up and down the mountains and the coast . . .

A place most people don't take time to check out . . . Smithfield, childhood home of actress Ava Gardner.

Another town many are unfamiliar with (and MDP mentioned) - Washington, NC, or as the locals call it - "Little Washington." This was the first town in the USA to be named for George Washington. Washington, NC has a very rich history as a port - during the Revolutionary War and the War Between the States.

Ann - hope you are not disappointed w/ Maggie Valley. I find it to be too touristy.

Another place many people miss - Flat Rock. Head to this village and be sure to see Carl Sandburg's home, Connemara: Carl Sandburg Home National Historic Site (U.S. National Park Service)
and
Flat Rock Playhouse: Flat Rock Playhouse : The State Theater of North Carolina
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina