Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 10:30 AM

423 posts, read 1,095,011 times

Advertisements

They are planning their first store in Charlotte. I can't wait for them to get to the Triangle. No more stupid VIC cards, same prices for all.

Publix News Release
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 11:23 AM

2,023 posts, read 3,240,257 times
I love Publix. Looks like the Charlotte stores will not open until 2014. That's a long ways away. Hopefully they will open up in the Triangle (sooner than later).

Old 09-19-2012, 12:17 PM

455 posts, read 919,132 times
Awesome. I'm dying for a Publix sub!

Old 09-19-2012, 02:06 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,923,224 times
When we first got here, I missed Publix, but that was 1997, and I actually really like Target Superstore, Harris Teeter, and Food Lion, so I'm not certain I have the Publix need any more....but cool to know.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:12 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,350,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocharoman View Post
They are planning their first store in Charlotte. I can't wait for them to get to the Triangle. No more stupid VIC cards, same prices for all.

Publix News Release
Personally, I prefer Harris Teeter and their "stupid VIC cards". Harris Teeter aside, this is actually Publix's second "Charlotte location". The first is a nearly completed store in Indian Land SC (a location that is only 7 miles south of the 2014-planned store on the corner of Johnston and Providence Road West in Ballantyne).
Publix – Indian Land, SC « York Development Group

In a nutshell, Publix is finishing up a store 5 miles south of Charlotte in SC and they're planning another one 2 miles into Charlotte (both of them being on the same road). IMO, Publix is simply treating Charlotte like a northern extension of their already established SC market. Publix has long had stores in nearby Spartanburg and Columbia SC, so it's not that difficult to send a grocery truck up to a few Charlotte area stores. Recent census data shows that Charlotte's growth is rapidly spilling into York and Lancaster counties in SC. It makes sense that Publix would move quickly to protect its SC turf from NC-based grocers. Harris Teeter placed a store down in Indian Land SC awhile back, now Publix wants a store 2 miles into NC on Harris Teeter's turf. Ironically, Harris Teeter is now starting their new highend chain called "201Central" with locations near lake Norman and one in Weddington NC (a suburb not far from Ballantyne and Indian Land SC). Obviously, there is a serious turf-warfare going on at the NC/SC state line when it comes to grocers and other retailers. It's like everyone is trying to establish their presence first. Whether this translates into other NC markets or not remains to be seen. For now though, Publix "moving into NC" is clearly a turf move in Charlotte only due to south Charlotte's close proximity to SC. The planned store in Ballantyne is only 1 1/2 miles east and 2 miles North of the SC stateline.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:35 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,038,285 times
It seems like Publix is planning more than just the one store in Ballantyne, and it actually is a big deal when a retailer enters a new state.

Quote:
A press release from Publix said the chain “is looking ahead to continued growth” in North Carolina.
Publix to Open Store in North Carolina | TheLedger.com

Hopefully the presence of a new competitor will cause the Lowe's/Harris Teeter/Food Lion stores to step up their game a little. I like Publix a lot.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:19 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,350,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
It seems like Publix is planning more than just the one store in Ballantyne, and it actually is a big deal when a retailer enters a new state.

Publix to Open Store in North Carolina | TheLedger.com

Hopefully the presence of a new competitor will cause the Lowe's/Harris Teeter/Food Lion stores to step up their game a little. I like Publix a lot.
Two stores only 7 miles apart on the same road just hasn't convinced me yet. Due to taxes, the Indian Land store will be cheaper for shoppers than the Ballantyne store. The gas stations near the Indian Land store are 20-30 cents per gallon cheaper as well. All logic would suggest that Publix should not open their first NC location 7 miles away from an existing SC location on the same street. This fact alone makes me question how deep into NC is Publix willing to go. Only time will tell.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:44 PM

317 posts, read 826,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGMayor View Post
Awesome. I'm dying for a Publix sub!
Nice! I had a mojo pork tonight. Publix is good, but I think they are at the same level as Harris Teeter. A little above Lowes and a lot better than Food Lion, but they can't touch Wegmans. Not having to carry a little key card around great though.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:47 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,038,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Two stores only 7 miles apart on the same road just hasn't convinced me yet. Due to taxes, the Indian Land store will be cheaper for shoppers than the Ballantyne store. The gas stations near the Indian Land store are 20-30 cents per gallon cheaper as well. All logic would suggest that Publix should not open their first NC location 7 miles away from an existing SC location on the same street. This fact alone makes me question how deep into NC is Publix willing to go. Only time will tell.
Seven miles is actually a pretty fair distance between grocery stores. I wouldn't want to have to travel that far for groceries.

I'm just going by the quote from the article about Publix expanding in NC. Take it however you want tho.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:53 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
Oh wow! That's good news though I've grown to love those VIC cards. I save a ton - I saved about $20 today on things I regularly buy. I'd probably remain loyal to the Teeter because of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina