Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 05:55 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times

Advertisements

Shutdown arrives in North Carolina with standoff at the saloon door | World news | theguardian.com

"Shutdown arrives in North Carolina with standoff at the saloon door"

Quote:
The Pisgah Inn's act of defiance delighted the Tea Party, who wield huge influence in this rural Appalachian district. But other constituents are paying a high price for Republican intransigence....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 08:14 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
Shutdown arrives in North Carolina with standoff at the saloon door | World news | theguardian.com

"Shutdown arrives in North Carolina with standoff at the saloon door"
No wonder we are stupid here. Read that quoted sentence then compare it to some articles written in USA Today. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:42 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
No wonder we are stupid here. Read that quoted sentence then compare it to some articles written in USA Today. Ain't nobody got time for that.
wat?

Old 10-14-2013, 08:45 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
I liked this story partially because they interviewed a liberal employee. I love the Pisgah Inn and someone on twitter wanted to basically kick me out of the left for saying I would still go to a business owned by the current tea party darling. Really wish Bruce didn't go on Glen Beck but what's done is done. I reminded the person that with the inn located near Asheville that surely there were liberals on staff as well.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:40 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,759,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post

We're very famous for our saloons as you can see from very old Dr. Who episodes where all the cowboys have very bad accents.

Besides, the government of England has been shut down much longer and no one talks about that. I think I'll write an article.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:33 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,319,858 times
Why is the UK concerned about a state in a completely superior country anyways? No one writes articles on how bad their economic state actually is and how their powerhouse city's government has been in much worse situations than North Carolina.

Typical England.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:51 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
Don't get why either.

This is simply a contract matter, not a political one. Don't see why the guardian or anyone would make it other than that. And truthfully I don't see what it matters what the people who are running the Pisgah Inn's political interests are. It should all be about doing the job and making money. Providing the service according to the terms of the contract.

Gov't gave these people a contract to perform some task (operate the inn). The Gov't cannot prevent the people from performing the contract. What the gov't can do is terminate the contract for cause or terminate for convenience. But if they don't have cause (meaning the people run the inn poorly) then they have to compensate the people who are under contract for terminating the contract for Gov't convenience.

The whole thing just is wrong. Blocking off the road so guests cannot get to the inn or blocking overlooks so people can't look at Mt Rushmore or whatever is just wrong.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:45 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
Why is the UK concerned about a state in a completely superior country anyways? No one writes articles on how bad their economic state actually is and how their powerhouse city's government has been in much worse situations than North Carolina.

Typical England.
Ummm, it's a well-respected publication that also reports international news, much like the NY Times and Washington Post. Why do you find this odd?

Old 10-16-2013, 05:24 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,155,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
The whole thing just is wrong. Shutting down the government so guests cannot get to the inn or blocking overlooks so people can't look at Mt Rushmore or whatever is just wrong.

Fixed.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:03 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
Noo!

What i said was "Blocking off the road so guests cannot get to the inn or blocking overlooks so people can't look at Mt Rushmore or whatever is just wrong."

Not what you put to appear as a quote.

Just state your opinion without changing other people's comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina