Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 06:36 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Update. I called the DMV on Monday and they said that I would have to get the signed and notarized title, bring it to the DMV, and they could give me a new plate. When I explained that that the seller is in MA and will not send me the title until I pay for the car, and I would not pay for the car without seeing it or getting the title, we were stuck.

Until she said. . . . Shhh. We don't like to advertise this, but you can take a plate off one of your exiting cars, put it on the purchased car, and use that to drive home.

Just curious, did you call the actual DMV office, or was it one of the independent license plate agency offices? Regardless, you should take what they say with a huge grain of salt, as it appears they are either ignorant of the law, or worse, they are condoning an illegal activity. NC G.S. 20-111(3) is quite clear on this:
The giving, lending, or borrowing of a license plate for the purpose of using same on some motor vehicle other than that for which issued shall make the giver, lender, or borrower guilty of a Class 3 misdemeanor. Where license plate is found being improperly used, such plate or plates shall be revoked or canceled, and new license plates must be purchased before further operation of the motor vehicle.
I agree that it should be easier to handle a situation like this. NC does offer a temporary transport tag for vehicles purchased in NC, but NC doesn't issue them for vehicles purchased out of state. If you are purchasing in a state that doesn't issue temporary tags, you're just SOL. Still, I think I would incur the expense of renting a tow trailer rather than risking a ticket, fines/court costs, and revocation of the plate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 07:28 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
Well, in any event, this discussion is moot as the seller and I could not reach an agreement on price. But. . . .I have learned a lot as a result of this question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina