Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 01:19 AM

27 posts, read 34,057 times

Advertisements

I know there are hundreds of threads out there regarding transplants (mostly from NE though), but I can't seem to find anything relating to me. Everyone discussing the big move seems to have a family. Is this more of a settle down move, or can someone like me find a great place? I guess you should know about me....

I am a graduate of the University of Florida and an Officer in the Army. I'll be leaving the Army just before Thanksgiving this year. Tired of moving and ready to find a forever home. I was always planning on going back to Florida but am starting to realize it was drawing me to it based off of fond college memories. After a few post grad visits, it just seems kind of not for me; however, I know the SE is. I have spent some time researching blogs/articles/forums just to get an idea of where I may belong and Raleigh, Charlotte, and Atlanta seem to always pop up in "best cities in America" types of articles.

More demographically speaking, I am 26, male, white, single (divorced but with no kids, and none planned for a long time!), and will be getting into medical sales. I have never really been into the southern mentality (I know that is a ridiculous generalization, but stereotypes are stereotypes, please don't get mad), I just like the weather and terrain. I like city amenities, but will never live in a NYC type of place. Honestly, I'm just a dude looking for a decent place to live, some relaxed bars/pubs to hang out at with the guys, somewhere to watch local bands, a good craft brew scene, and a place with enough green space to go running with my dog.

Again, I've done a lot of reading up, but a lot of answers for families, and a lot of older posts. I haven't seen much discussion of what would cater to someone like me now, or what directions said cities may be going in over the next few years.

I would love some insight from someone who feels like they be similar in ways to me, know of people similar to me, and positive/negative experiences with these locations.

Regards
AJ

Last edited by GATAJ10; 04-04-2014 at 01:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 02:17 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GATAJ10 View Post
More demographically speaking, I am 26, male, white, single (divorced but with no kids, and none planned for a long time!), and will be getting into medical sales. I have never really been into the southern mentality (I know that is a ridiculous generalization, but stereotypes are stereotypes, please don't get mad), I just like the weather and terrain. I like city amenities, but will never live in a NYC type of place. Honestly, I'm just a dude looking for a decent place to live, some relaxed bars/pubs to hang out at with the guys, somewhere to watch local bands, a good craft brew scene, and a place with enough green space to go running with my dog.
You might look into Durham if you find a job in medical sales with one of the Triangle firms.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:43 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
...and will be getting into medical sales.
Does "getting into" mean that you have an actual concrete offer doing this?

Quote:
I am 26, male, white, single...
I'm just a dude looking for a decent place to live...

I would love some insight...
Nail down the job FIRST.

Go wherever that solid offered job comes from.
Make the best of it for X years as you gain experience and contacts.

THEN, after X years in place doing and learning and living...
decide just how awful that place might actually be.
Re-evaluate as warranted.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:59 AM

Thanks for the insights. Let's just say I have solid offers in both Charlotte and R/D. Is one a safer bet to take the leap of faith on as a would-be transplant? It seems people are pretty split on the 2, which is natural. Just wondering if either have experienced any major changes in the past few years that make them more appealing to a younger/single/professional crowd.

Old 04-04-2014, 03:47 AM

Quote:
It seems people are pretty split on the 2, which is natural.
Is one a safer bet to take the leap of faith on as a would-be transplant?
Not really.

The key in all this is to NOT take the "leap of faith"
Have a solid reason to choose X (or Y or Z) and BEFORE showing up.

Quote:
...that make them more appealing to a younger/single/professional crowd.
On that basis I wouldn't recommend either.

Sounds like it's time for someone to do their in depth recon.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:12 AM

I agree. But unfortunately being overseas limits my recon to whatever I can find out online. I don't think it's outrageous though. Maryland and Florida are my 2 homes, if a random individual told me about themselves, I could more than likely guide them to a place in MD or FL where they would have the best chances of finding a fit.

Again, I'm overseas, just trying to gather every shred of info I can from whoever I can to try and make the best decision possible from here.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:24 AM

Quote:
...if a random individual told me about themselves, I could more than likely guide them
to a place in MD or FL where they would have the best chances of finding a fit.
I'm from MD and have spent a lot of time in FL.
The prior advice applies there as well.

Quote:
The key in all this is to NOT take "the leap of faith"
Have a solid reason to choose X (or Y or Z) and BEFORE showing up.
Quote:
...just trying to gather every shred of info I can from whoever I can...
An anecdote, let alone multiple anecdotes, does not equal data.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:36 AM

I have to disagree, respectfully. If you are from MD then you know the Frederick on west area, Balti-DC area, and eastern shore all have extremely different ways of life. Florida can be divided similarly, except with horizontal lines.

And agreed, except data is not the same thing as info.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:52 AM

Quote:
I have to disagree, respectfully.
If you are from MD then you know...
ya... I jumped a logic line.

It's obvious that either B'more or the DC suburb are the MD choices.
However nice it would be to paddle and fish and hunt on the shore...
you aren't going to able to sell medical devices from the duck blind.

FL is larger but the practical choices are similarly limited to the bigger cities.
IN UT it would be Salt lake City. In Oregon it would be Portland.
NC is no different... and you already know it's either Raleigh or Charlotte.

But WHICH of these limited choices is "best" still remains about where the job can be found.
Not just "a job" but the specific job that will be hiring YOU.

And however much someone might feel that city X is a subjectively more appealing than city Y
(based on whatever criteria) it ultimately doesn't matter if the job is in city Y.
---

Once you get around to contacting the companies (or the headhunters find out about you)...
you're more likely to find the entry level offerings will want to send you to multiple locations
over the first several years with NONE of these opportunities anywhere even near NC.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:03 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Stay in the military, retire at 40 and then find a no stress job that allows plenty of time for relaxing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina