Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2014, 01:47 PM

24 posts, read 52,053 times

Advertisements

Hello!

Today, I was offered an internship in Salisbury, North Carolina, and it starts within the first two weeks of June. I know no one out there and after making phone calls and searching for a place to stay for about two hours, I've come to the forums.

I have a small budget, being a college student on an internship and all and need a place to stay for a month, maybe two months.

All I really need is a small kitchen, bathroom, wifi, and a place to maybe throw down a sleeping bag. Hotels may be out of the question. The lowest monthly rate I was able to find was over $1000 a month. A sublease of a studio or a guest quarters rental, maybe even a hostel, would probably be more budget friendly. I really don't know. These are just ideas.

I'd prefer to be in or near Salisbury since the internship will be 40 hours per week, thus the lack of interest in a long commute.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I could start looking? Please and thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 01:54 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
Are you a member of a church? If so, it is easy enough to call or email a church of the same denomination in Salisbury, introduce yourself as a member of _____________ church in _____________ city, explain your internship, then ask if they have a church bulletin board or website or newsletter where you could place an ad for lodging.

I did this several years ago when taking a grad class in a strange city and found someone almost instantly. I stayed at her house while she was on vacation! It worked out really well.

If you don't belong to a church, I suppose you could try it anyway.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:21 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,000 times
Did you ask the people you're working for? They may have some leads for you. You can also check apartmentguide.com. They list short-term rentals.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:03 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Due to terms of this site, I cant post a link but I just did a search on Craigslist and multiple listing posted for rentals, room rented or roommate needed in Salisbury.

However, I will guide you though. In Craigslist North Carolina click Charlotte then click rooms / shared under Housing then search Salisbury.

Another option is look for furnished mobile home communities, there is several too.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:31 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Salisbury is not an expensive place. You shouldn't have to pay $1000/mo. I would think there would be apartments available for $500 or so.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:07 AM

124 posts, read 242,639 times
Alexander Place Apartments in Salisbury...$550 a month for a studio with a short term lease

Old 06-04-2014, 03:51 PM

16 posts, read 28,476 times
Default Mahaley

When I was in college there and doing an internship I stayed in a nice apartment on Mahaley - keep in mind that I haven't seen it lately but it was managed by Grubb Properties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina