Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 08:24 AM

63 posts, read 203,262 times

Advertisements

I agree with Mr bojangles on how crime stats don't really reflect how safe or dangerous a city is unless you understand the criminal /victim trends of said city.

Rocky Mount has troubled youth and drug users attacking & robbing one another. The typical person is very safe and not going to be near criminal activity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 01:29 AM

27 posts, read 117,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenne View Post
I agree with Mr bojangles on how crime stats don't really reflect how safe or dangerous a city is unless you understand the criminal /victim trends of said city.

Rocky Mount has troubled youth and drug users attacking & robbing one another. The typical person is very safe and not going to be near criminal activity.

Oh lord, more trolling. The typical person is not very safe in Rocky Mount. Not in their own home.

No way would I let a child of mine around the ghetto area of Golden East mall and Wal-Mart as well. And those are considered the "nice" areas, lol.

Old 09-29-2014, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
There is something these ranking don't take into account. The Greenville Police Chief has stated in the recent past how the vast majority of the violent crime in the city involves gang members on both sides.

Then add in the domestic/family/friend crime/violence.

Rarely there are random acts of violence. At least in this city.
Greenville's crime isnt the best, but its a decent place to live for the most part. Im not nearly as familiar with it as Rocky Mount, so I dont know what the good neighborhoods are and how many break ins and random shootings.

I would assume Lumberton has a good amount of random acts of violence. Rocky Mount certaintly has its share.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:47 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,261,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balrog80 View Post
Greenville's crime isnt the best, but its a decent place to live for the most part. Im not nearly as familiar with it as Rocky Mount, so I dont know what the good neighborhoods are and how many break ins and random shootings.

I would assume Lumberton has a good amount of random acts of violence. Rocky Mount certaintly has its share.
Actually, outside of a few blocks, the crime in Greenville is very low. Just every incident gets reported because we are the largest city in the East. Added onto the lack of other (easy) news to get clicks on their websites.

Neat tweet from the Police Chief:

Quote:
Very interesting statistic that holds true for 2010, 11 and 12- 50% of Part 1 crimes occur in only 1.5%(about 22 blocks) in Greenville.

75% of Part 1 crimes occur in only 4.5% (about 65 blocks) 100% of part 1 crimes occur in 20% of our City.
FYI: Part I crimes are divided into in two categories: violent and property crimes.

Violent crimes: aggravated assault, forcible rape, murder, and robbery
Property crimes: arson, burglary, larceny-theft, and motor vehicle theft

And more quotes:

Quote:
For every 1,000 people who live in Greenville, about 50 will become victims during the span of a year, with only 5 of them being victims of violent crimes.

"You’re not at risk of being in your home and having masked gunmen come into your house,†Chief Aden says. “There was a drug nexus in 99.9 percent of those."

Old 09-29-2014, 01:30 PM

My family uses both the rocky Mount Walmart & mall. Walmart often, the mall occasionally. I'm not into going to any mall. Both places are safe in rocky mount. Thousands of people use both places every week and nothing happens. Don't let Balrog cry wolf about crime in rocky mount scare you. He cries crime without addressing how most victims are associated with criminal elements. It's not random criminal activity. Thousands of people stay in our hotels every week and are safe. Yes, our hotels fill up as rocky Mount is a popular stop.

Old 09-29-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenne View Post
My family uses both the rocky Mount Walmart & mall. Walmart often, the mall occasionally. I'm not into going to any mall. Both places are safe in rocky mount. Thousands of people use both places every week and nothing happens. Don't let Balrog cry wolf about crime in rocky mount scare you. He cries crime without addressing how most victims are associated with criminal elements. It's not random criminal activity. Thousands of people stay in our hotels every week and are safe. Yes, our hotels fill up as rocky Mount is a popular stop.

Golden East crossing mall has had 2 shootings in the last couple of years, numerous hold ups in the parking lots mainly with women being alone and an insane amount of larcenies.

Wal-Mart is beyond ghetto. Keep on trolling though tenne, it sure is funny.

Old 09-29-2014, 05:34 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
There is something these ranking don't take into account. The Greenville Police Chief has stated in the recent past how the vast majority of the violent crime in the city involves gang members on both sides.

Then add in the domestic/family/friend crime/violence.

Rarely there are random acts of violence. At least in this city.
I wonder if that's the case for most of these - if not actual gang members versus each other, criminals versus each other.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:08 AM

[quote=Balrog80;36684shootings and n East crossing mall has had 2 shootings in the last couple of years, numerous hold ups in the parking lots mainly with women being alone and an insane amount of larcenies.

Wal-Mart is beyond ghetto. Keep on trolling though tenne, it sure is funny.[/QUOTE]

Can you source the 2 shootings? I remember one shots fired and no one shot from a couple years ago. And source the women being assaulted and robbed on numerous occasions? I don't ever recall this. You are trolling to perpetuate a negative image of Rocky Mount. Where do you live? You still have not answered that question. Are you a resident inside the city as I am?

That fact is that everyday the entire city functions wonderfully. Our hotels fill up, our restaurants serve food, business is conducted. Everyone is safe in going about there day. Of the crime that occurs it's from youth and drug associates victimizing each other.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,961 times
Charlotte, nearing a population of 800,000 ppl and and a metro of 2.5 million, is the most dangerous city in the state. Only because it is NC's most densely populated city makes this true. Native of NC and living here in Charlotte, I can say the QC in some parts are like Kinston but on a MUCH larger scale. However, there are enough nice(university area,northlake), and even really nice parts(south Charlotte, southpark) of the city that balance the city out as a whole, unlike towns such as Kinston. So please people don't bash on my city. And for all you Raleigh natives, Charlotte in my opinion is really the only real "city" in NC. The only city with a real downtown center city area (Uptown we call it here). Raleigh is just a wanna-be Charlotte. Just like how in the QC we know we're not ATL, but we damn sure try to be lol

Old 12-17-2014, 07:45 PM

77 posts, read 165,516 times
No Raleigh is not a want to be charlotte. Charlotte is not the only "real" city in north carolina either. Raleigh, Winston Salem, Durham and Greensboro all qualify as "real" cities. Fayetteville is no slouch either buddy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina