Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 10:33 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,345,692 times

Advertisements

Just noticed OP's other posts mentioned they are a lawyer from Connecticut. If they are planning on being a lawyer in NC, I assume they will need at least some population as a potential customer base, which again probably points to being not real far from a city. They also didn't really specify what an "affordable" price for a home was, but compared to Connecticut pretty much everything mentioned should be affordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 10:55 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Just noticed OP's other posts mentioned they are a lawyer from Connecticut. If they are planning on being a lawyer in NC, I assume they will need at least some population as a potential customer base, which again probably points to being not real far from a city. They also didn't really specify what an "affordable" price for a home was, but compared to Connecticut pretty much everything mentioned should be affordable.
Thanks, I frequently check past posts if I need some bearings with a post, but this one was so far out that I didn't bother.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:55 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,629,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Knowing this, does OP really expect people to be friendly with them?

just teasing, OP...but I agree that just about anywhere in NC will seem affordable to CT.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:49 PM

275 posts, read 330,709 times
Why not eastern Wake County? It's rural, has expansive land, and I think the people would be appecting enough about having a home school child. Idk what they do about church but given what I saw from Zebulon and Wendell, they both feel like eastern nc towns, so I'm pretty sure at least most of the population goes to church. You got Raleigh 15 mins down the 64/264 highway and can easily get to RDU Airport via 64/264 and I-540. Also seeing as you would be a little closer to Raleigh the overall internet might be better, but I'm not 100% on that. IF I had to choose I'd go Zebulon.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:21 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Interesting. I had thought that homeschooling was main-stream enough that no one would take it as a criticism of the local school system or the local people. But, I haven't been there.

I hope the OP connects with a home-schooling network for insider opinions. However, I trust the opinions of NC natives that small rural towns are not the best place to be left alone. It sounds like the outer suburban fringe of Charlotte might be a better option for airport access, high-speed internet and privacy.
I hope they can find a home-schooling network, too. That would sure take the mystery out of some of the decisions!

Old 10-06-2014, 08:48 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,310,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Many rural areas are not going to have robust net connection available. Your next concern should be fitting into a community. Most rural areas where "people mind their own business" are not going to be particularly friendly to newcomers. And without your children being involved in the local schools, you are not going to meet other parents and be intereacting with local folks at that basic level, so you will most likely be eyed as somewhat "odd" or "suspicious." Perhaps, even cultish. The way to get around that would be church affiliation, as this WILL put you in touch with other parents and children and folks will quickly see there is nothing "odd" about your family.
Agreed. And rest assured that if the natives in a rural area like this decide that an outsider is doing something they don't approve of, they will proceed to make their life pretty uncomfortable.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:26 PM

401 posts, read 657,085 times
Fayetteville pros in your mind-
1. Airport in city
2. Friendly people
3. Working from home is common and high paying.
4. Plenty of Churches, some even sponsored by the city.
5. Huge homeschool support groups that allow your children to meet fellow homeschoolers. They go to plenty of events. Also a pro is that Fayetteville host's lots of events.
Here is the average house price built new. Of course you can find forclosures for about half the price and older homes the same size for almost half the price.-
3 bedroom- 90-140k
4 bedroom-125k-1 million
5 bedroom- 1 million+
A pro IMO, but for you here are cons-
1. High Crime
2. Not many Farm land, if you want a huge yard in i guess, a 3-4 bedroom house it should cost about 1.5 million to 3 million.
3. Fancy restaurants
4. Depending on your area, if you go to Northern Fayetteville, you might see uptight neighbors, which house prices in that area are between 1-12 million.
5. Not rural

Old 10-12-2014, 09:01 PM

129 posts, read 186,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmysmile View Post
4. Plenty of Churches, some even sponsored by the city.
That sounds highly illegal.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:52 AM

165 posts, read 189,660 times
OP,

You will find that there are quite a few networks of homeschoolers all over NC. I would suggest looking into homeschool networks around the Charlotte area. If you can move within a 1.5 hr distance from the Charlotte airport, that opens up quite a few places for you. You might would even want to check south of Charlotte, in SC.

Not sure of your religion so keep in mind that NC has always been mostly protestant/baptist, so a really small community may only have a church of that denomination available. Just be sure to do your research. Many transplants from up north and Latin America that are catholic have moved here in the last 30 yrs or so, so if you are catholic, you should be able to find a community that meets your criteria and has a catholic church. Charlotte also offers a wide variety of churches in every denomination if you wouldn't mind driving from a rural area to Charlotte to attend church.

I suggested the Charlotte area because I think there is more to do there for a homeschool family. It is also close to the mountains and has some wonderful lakes around it. Somewhere north or south of Raleigh would be my next suggestion. Those are both cities with direct flights out of NC and will save you a lot of travel time.

I would start by researching homeschool groups in the city you choose, and talking to homeschoolers there. They could probably be very helpful in locating a community that would be right for you. Look for blogs and facebook where homeschool families openly post activities they do.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll find your place here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina