Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2014, 12:54 PM

162 posts, read 329,635 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband just applied for a position at a company in La Grange, NC. We currently live in NJ where we are from. We have wanted to move more south so we are hoping it happens, however, I know NOTHING about NC.

We have three children (10, 8 and 6) and most important to us is school system, hands down. My kids are into sports (baseball, soccer, softball) as well so that would be important to us.

We also would like low crime, good restaurants, shopping, etc. nearby.

I don't think I"m forgetting anything else!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 01:08 PM

363 posts, read 445,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2cjj View Post
Hi,

My husband just applied for a position at a company in La Grange, NC. We currently live in NJ where we are from. We have wanted to move more south so we are hoping it happens, however, I know NOTHING about NC.

We have three children (10, 8 and 6) and most important to us is school system, hands down. My kids are into sports (baseball, soccer, softball) as well so that would be important to us.

I don't think I"m forgetting anything else!
I'm not sure La Grange would be a good fit.. it is really in the middle of nowhere. You are about an hour and fifteen from Raleigh, which is probably the closest place that meets what you are looking for in good schools, restaurants, shopping, etc.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:12 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,629,714 times
La Grange seems like an unusual choice if you've never lived in the area. Small towns might be less accepting of "Yankees" than larger areas would be. I grew up in NY state, though that was 30+ years ago. We first lived in Greenville, NC starting in 2005, and there was some resentment of outsiders - I have a feeling that attitude might be even stronger in a small community like La Grange. Personally, I'd focus on one of the larger metro areas for shopping, dining, etc. We're very happy with the Winston-Salem area. The closest cities would be Kinston and Goldsboro - not exactly the most desirable cities in NC, to most people (especially Kinston).

My general advice if you do move to NC: don't focus on how things are different here. Just because something is handled differently in NJ doesn't mean it's the right way to do it in NC. For me, there are VERY few things about the northeast that I miss.

Also, I think this belongs in Eastern NC sub-forum, doesn't it? I had to google La Grange as I didn't recall where it was (I think I drove through it once).

Last edited by emelvee; 10-30-2014 at 01:56 PM..

Old 10-30-2014, 01:45 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Yeah, I'm surprised that LaGrange would have the kind of job that someone from NJ would apply for. It really is a "one-horse town" and even the larger places nearby--Kinston and Goldsboro--are not what I can imagine someone wanting to move here for.

Here is City-Data's page on LaGrange. (BTW, the "a" is a long A, as in "range", if he gets an interview and has to pronounce it). Just not much there and the schools in surrounding counties are not good.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:38 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2cjj View Post
We have three children (10, 8 and 6) and most important to us is school system, hands down. ....
Uhh - I am not sure that LaGrange is a good choice for you. The crime rate is higher than average, and it is nowhere near any sophisticated shopping. The Chef and The Farmer in Kinston is about the best restaurant in the area, otherwise you will see Eastern NC barbecue places.

The LaGrange Elementary School is rated 4 out of 10 at Greatschools.org Here is a listing of the other schools in lenoir County: http://www.education.com/schoolfinde...hool-district/

Old 10-30-2014, 04:52 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
If the OP's husband does get the job, I suggest the family look at the Rosewood Elementary and Rosewood Middle School districts on the west side of Goldsboro. They are about 23 miles (or 30 minute drive) from LaGrange, but are the best rated schools in the area. They are surrounded by agricultural country, but there are some new home developments catering to the military at Seymour Johnson AFB.

Old 10-31-2014, 01:30 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,210,026 times
If I were you, I'd strongly consider living in Greenville. Otherwise, Goldsboro or Kinston. Pick your poison.

BTW, it's not that these are bad places to live. They are great places to live for the people from there. But they aren't easy to assimilate into if you're not from around here. It's kind of like working for a family business. No matter what happens, they are family and you are not.

Last edited by BullCity75; 10-31-2014 at 01:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina