Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 08:32 AM

172 posts, read 255,274 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move from Baton Rouge, LA within the next couple of months. I moved here just last year with my husband and have been miserable. It regularly got up to a heat index temp of 105-110 this summer and the people here are just...kinda cliquish or alcoholics. While I'd love the more moderate weather out West, the cost is mostly outrageous (housing is $500,000 plus in large cities) and all my family is down south. I have almost $10,000 already saved to move. With the criteria below in mind, which North Carolina city would be best for us?:

1. Jobs in insurance/office setting for me and construction or factory work for my husband
2. Diverse with a sizable hispanic population (husband is from Mexico)
3. Large city that is 80,000 plus people
4. Near the mountains (within 1.5 hours)
5. Apt rent for one bedroom $800 or less (although I can afford more if necessary)
6. Access to lots of gyms as working out is our favorite past time (we use planet fitness or YMCA)
7. Colder avg summer temps than Baton Rouge or birmingham, al where I've previously lived. I'd like it 86 degrees or less in summers on avg although I know it's hard in the south. Baton Rouge "summers" (80 plus degrees) are April thru October/November is summer shorter there?

If no city fits, any suggestions in surrounding states?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 08:38 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Some of what you want can be found in the Charlotte area. But not everything on your wish list is possible. The cooler summers could be found in mountain towns like Boone, but they are very small and will not have the Hispanic population or many jobs.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:50 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,382,360 times
Yes, Charlotte is as lose as you will find to your criteria in NC, but rent will be higher and summers are hot.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:06 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Winston-Salem may work for you in NC, but I think you should also check out Greenville, SC, Chattanooga, and Knoxville.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:38 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,493,664 times
For the most part, and not to crap on your parade, but North Carolina is very hot and humid. Summers are extremely long and humid. I imagine it's not Deep South humid, but don't expect it to be that different coming from Louisiana/Alabama. Just a warning, and it's also quite a bipolar state regarding weather. Christmas can be 40 degrees, or sometimes 65! However, summers are still very long and hot.

I'm not quite sure regarding a sizable Hispanic population, but Winston-Salem is pretty nice. More character and charm than the rather bland Greensboro to the east, and closer to the mountains. Boone isn't far (about an hour & a half), a mountain college town to the west. The Virginia mountains aren't terribly far to the north, either. Winston-Salem is less humid than Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham, also.

I agree with Mutiny, definitely look into Greenville, SC and Knoxville, TN, as well.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:28 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmcgrath View Post
I'm looking to move from Baton Rouge, LA within the next couple of months. I moved here just last year with my husband and have been miserable. It regularly got up to a heat index temp of 105-110 this summer and the people here are just...kinda cliquish or alcoholics. While I'd love the more moderate weather out West, the cost is mostly outrageous (housing is $500,000 plus in large cities) and all my family is down south. I have almost $10,000 already saved to move. With the criteria below in mind, which North Carolina city would be best for us?:

1. Jobs in insurance/office setting for me and construction or factory work for my husband
2. Diverse with a sizable hispanic population (husband is from Mexico)
3. Large city that is 80,000 plus people
4. Near the mountains (within 1.5 hours)
5. Apt rent for one bedroom $800 or less (although I can afford more if necessary)
6. Access to lots of gyms as working out is our favorite past time (we use planet fitness or YMCA)
7. Colder avg summer temps than Baton Rouge or birmingham, al where I've previously lived. I'd like it 86 degrees or less in summers on avg although I know it's hard in the south. Baton Rouge "summers" (80 plus degrees) are April thru October/November is summer shorter there?

If no city fits, any suggestions in surrounding states?

Thanks!
Average summer temps are too hot here.

It gets hot around May and doesn't cool off until October/November. It's really not THAT much different than Louisiana... maybe a wee bit less humid and a few degrees cooler. You need to go further north, really. Have you considered New England?

Or Maine. Maine is quite cool in the summer.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:51 AM

1,737 posts, read 2,574,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Average summer temps are too hot here.

It gets hot around May and doesn't cool off until October/November. It's really not THAT much different than Louisiana... maybe a wee bit less humid and a few degrees cooler. You need to go further north, really. Have you considered New England?

Or Maine. Maine is quite cool in the summer.
But Maine's Hispanic population % is second lowest in the United States: 1.4%

List of U.S. states by Hispanic and Latino population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-20-2015, 10:17 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
But Maine's Hispanic population % is second lowest in the United States: 1.4%

List of U.S. states by Hispanic and Latino population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Well, there is that.

But, that heat requirement (if I recall this poster correctly as being someone with a health problem that is the driving force behind this move) is likely more rigid than the Hispanic population requirement, if I had to wager.

The OP could try the Chicago area. It does get pretty hot in summer, but the summers are quite short compared to here in the south and there's a really solid Hispanic presence there.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:48 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
#1 question is, why are you considering NC if you don't even have a city/area in mind? Are you aware how diverse the state is? Asheville, NC, is almost nothing like Wilmington, NC, but both as in NC--meanwhile Asheville is similar to other small cities in the mountains in other states and Wilmington is similar to coastal small cities in other states.

You should pick a place because you have researched it, visited it, and found that it fits your needs, not simply "because it is in NC." the best city for you might not even be in NC!

Old 01-20-2015, 12:10 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,224,746 times
There are insurance and manufacturing jobs in Winston-Salem, a sizable city with a decent Hispanic population but its probably a 2 hour drive to the high elevation mountains. but to comment on what another poster said, Greensboro is not bland and has charm with many shopping/entertainment options and manufacturing job opportunities. Winston-Salem would be a better fit because it is a little closer to the mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina