Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 06:37 AM

774 posts, read 1,857,712 times

Advertisements

I have heard there was a meth and heroin epidemic in North Carolina... but I had no idea it was this bad. None talks about it (that I know).

The Methiest States In The U.S. (INFOGRAPHIC)

At 457, that's a third of Tennessee, but WOW ... when compared to a lot of other states, IT'S HUGE.

While Marijuana seems to be the biggest drug of choice, it seems Heroin is reaching "epidemic" proportions too?
http://www.wral.com/-you-re-playing-...rise/13405059/

Any comments on what's being done to solve or help people cut their addictions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 07:19 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,216,524 times
With the loss of industry in the more rural counties, meth and addiction in general seem to be rising.

A lot of people who have not got any hope of finding work are creating their own jobs in the lowest area. Selling drugs is turning out to be easy. With the creation of mobile meth labs (trunk of a car) its easy to hit different areas quickly. In the last few days the Salisbury post has had stories about drug dealers being caught, they range from a 59 year old to a college Senior.

The failure to educate and bring business to areas which at one time manufactured a lot of stuff seems to be a problem. It needs to be corrected and the private sector seems unable or not wanting to create enough work.

Jobs that pay enough to live and can be had by a population need to be created either private or public.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:04 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
I love how they give the formula to make meth right there in the infographic...!

I hate maps that give raw numbers rather than per capita rates, too. But yes, "rurality" is a big factor in meth manufacture, and NC is mostly rural, square-mileage-wise (80% of NC counties are designated "rural" based on population density).

Old 10-02-2015, 12:46 PM

774 posts, read 1,857,712 times
Default Resistance to change...

"Change is the only constant in the universe ..."

Yet there's such a strong resistance to change in North Carolina. So many counties have a, "No Growth" ideal. I was talking to a guy from Mt. Airy last week who talked about the romantic life he had growing up there. The movie house, etc...

But he didn't mention the drug problem....
Two charged after meth labs found in Mount Airy home; child was staying at the residence | myfox8.com

How bad is it going have to get before people accept that life is about change.
You can engineer it the way you want it... or you can resist and let it engineer you.

What do you who've lived here see as a solution? Any hope for change in the politics of the place?
I work near a small town that insists there's not racial problems, but the whites continue to vote in way they think will keep the blacks economically disenfranchised ... which seems to please even the poorest whites .. who are struggling with poverty themselves.

Yet ... there's all these big churches...

How do you see the future?
I ask because I KNOW how drug addiction works on a place.
... and alcoholism and drug addiction are symptoms of much larger problems cause by more than just a lack of employment. Well ... no new employers being invited in DOES create poverty and poverty destabilize the family ... and children then grow up in dysfunctional homes... and that.. is where the problem begins.

Old 10-02-2015, 01:40 PM

613 posts, read 746,452 times
You're forgetting how the jobs from these affected areas were systematically eliminated by trade deals. This did not have to happen. The people that lived in these areas wanted to keep the jobs that were there.
One thing I really like that Donald trump said on 60 minutes last Sunday. 'We need fair trade not free trade'. Yes fair to American working people. What a wonderful idea.

Old 10-02-2015, 01:42 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,425,884 times
I think it's unfair to lump everyone in NC into your stereotype. If there were "no growth" ideals, why on earth would all these people from all over be here? There may be people in locales that wish for the old days, but not everybody. Good grief.

Old 10-02-2015, 02:01 PM

613 posts, read 746,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
I think it's unfair to lump everyone in NC into your stereotype. If there were "no growth" ideals, why on earth would all these people from all over be here? There may be people in locales that wish for the old days, but not everybody. Good grief.
Yeah they wish for the old days when they had a job that is now in China. Thanks Washington.

Old 10-02-2015, 03:53 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,031,370 times
This doesn't just effect NC. The quaint idyllic villages of the North East have been devastated by the Heroin epidemic. Places people would normally never equate with drug use.

Meth is pretty prominent in my neck of the woods. More so out in Johnston County and I've heard the coastal area and mountain counties have been hit hard. Durham used to be known for heroin. Now Henderson is big along with almost every other town with lots of poverty in areas yet plenty of middle class and up kids to start out or people transitioning from prescription pain meds. It's going to get worse before it gets better.

Old 10-02-2015, 04:30 PM

545 posts, read 594,824 times
Yes the meth problem in NC is bad and especially in comparison to our immediate neighbors. But look in the vicinity of the state of Indiana....that seems to be the epicenter for the meth problem in the United States.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:48 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,216,524 times
2 states that the Conservatives would like to form their utopia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina