Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2016, 03:02 PM

72 posts, read 67,053 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

We are beginning to think about our plan to possibly retire near the coast or larger body of water (sound, large river). I just retired from teaching this past year and my husband has two more years until he retires from full time work. I want to do due diligence on this and have been researching articles about retirement, when to buy, what things to look for (i. e. near medical facilities, etc.) and will continue to learn as much as I can. I have gleaned quite a bit from the city-data forums. I really appreciate any advice and input from people who have actually gone this route, not just in terms of where to look, but also what is the best way to go about it.

We will not have our home quite paid off by the time my husband retires, but will have built up a generous equity in it. We would be looking at downsizing from our home now, looking for a single story detached, not necessarily in a 55+ community. I just want a place near the water where I can go take my dog and hopefully future grandbabies- walking/driving a short distance to get to the water is just fine with me. A place that when we have grandkids, we can make memories by enjoying nature and the beauty of where we live. We would be looking at around $200K so that we could put some money into probably updating and making our new place have a few age in place home amenities- a walk in shower for instance.

I would like your input on your feelings about these spots that I have read a lot about on this site: Beaufort, Morehead City, New Bern. My family is from New Bern; my mom grew up on Pollack Street and I adore my memories of crabbing with my grandfather on the Neuse River, going to church with my grandmother at Christ Episcopal. It is near and dear to my heart, but I wonder if we could find something closer to the ocean.

Thanks for all of the wonderful insight you all share on here already! I look forward to reading about your thoughts on these spots and also hearing about other options! I want to be able to rent a place for a few weeks/months and would love to know where you think we should start! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 03:57 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,538,172 times
Manteo.

Old 03-17-2016, 05:16 PM

398 posts, read 498,536 times
Of your choices, I'd go with Beaufort. $200,000 won't get you in the historic district, but it will get in Beaufort. New Bern is just a little too scuzzy for me, and B'fort is much closer to the beach, and more charming than MC.

FYI, you won't find anything in Manteo for $200,000.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:29 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,049,417 times
The OP might search the Coastal North Carolina sub-forum as there have been dozens of similar questions.

There are many single story homes under $200K in Sneads Ferry, but there are cons as well as pros to it.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:47 PM

72 posts, read 67,053 times
Thanks for everyone's thoughts thus far. I have used the search tool and have read quite a bit over the last couple of days; it has helped me to see some of the pros and cons of many of these little towns. I will check out Sneads Ferry goldenage, thanks for that suggestion. Newport was another place I was curious about. Actually I did find a few homes under 200K in Manteo, not many but a few. A couple were in a subdivision called Cedar Bay, one was a cute remodeled older home and there were a couple of condos. Not sure we want to go the condo route, though.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:55 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
You should be posting on the Coastal NC forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina