Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 06:56 AM

13,380 posts, read 27,114,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I would focus on the mountains if that is your dream--asheville isn't the only place in the mtns; there are Boone and smaller areas, and I'm sure they need dentists.
There are also Waynesville, Hendersonville, Weaverville, Murphy, Franklin, Cherokee, Cashiers, etc. many different small cities and towns in the mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 02:34 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,548,306 times
[quote=michgc;43451996]I would look into Winston-Salem. It's closer to the mountains than Raleigh and is a bigger city than Asheville and less expensive than both of them. You would be near the Greensboro airport and not too far from the Charlotte Airport either, which has many more flights. It has a nice, small city feel. I would add it to your list of places to check out.[/QUOTE

I agree with michgc. If the OP isn't interested in being in a big city or larger metro like Charlotte, Winston Salem would be a great alternative to Charlotte, Raleigh, and Asheville for the reasons stated above.

Old 03-23-2016, 03:01 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,856,825 times
Also, since I see you are in Ann Arbor; if you like the AA vibe but just not the cold, I spent a week in AA (loved it!) and it reminded me of sort of a cross between Durham and Chapel Hill--collegy like Chapel Hill but about the size of Durham (which also has a university). You should at least check them out when you're visiting--though Chapel Hill has a dental school so competition for jobs would be worse.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:22 PM

5 posts, read 2,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
While you've read plenty and made your lists, you really can't judge either place until you see them for yourselves. And WE certainly can't tell you what cities you would like when you haven't even been here to compare one city with another.

I would focus on the mountains if that is your dream--asheville isn't the only place in the mtns; there are Boone and smaller areas, and I'm sure they need dentists. Also check Eastern Tennessee and western Va for gorgeous mountains.

I'm not sure why you think housing in Raleigh is cheaper than Asheville--the Triangle area is one of the highest costs of living in NC. Again, you'll see when you come to visit for yourself. There is a dental school in chapel Hill so the job market might be tighter near dental schools than places that aren't releasing graduates.

Are these the ONLY two places you are even considering? Kind of odd since you have never been to either. Take a few days to visit the whole state (and other states if you're looking into them) and you'll know better what to ask about and it is easier for us to answer questions like "I really liked what I saw of [city], are there other places like that?" Rather than a blanket "Where do you think we would like?" Good luck...
Obviously they are not the ONLY places I would consider hence the reason I was asking for suggestions to places that are similar. The reason I am asking is not to make a decision now but to make a list and explore cities that we think we would enjoy as it would be impossible to explore all of N. Carolina and surrounding states in a week. We will likely make a trip now and a trip in the fall and I would apply for jobs in December/ January.

N. Carolina has seen a steady population growth and the average income for dentist is one of the highest in the US. The weather is another major reason we would be moving here. I also said I would be living in the suburbs of Raleigh and from what I have seen on zillow the houses are much cheaper in the triangle than Asheville. Being in/near the mountain is not a requirement but is a huge plus.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:34 PM

5 posts, read 2,861 times
Thanks for the comments everyone. We do not want to end up in a small mountain town we are both from a very small town and want to be in a bigger area. We have nothing against cookie cutter suburbs. We will definitely add Greensboro and Winston-Salem to places to stop at. We plan to visit again in the fall sometime to spend a few days in each city we really enjoyed to narrow down the list more. I will apply for jobs in multiple cities that we liked and go with which everyone fits us best.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:46 PM

536 posts, read 640,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Dawg View Post
I definitely think you should look at Greensboro and Winston-Salem. Sounds like it would be a great fit for what you're looking for.

This.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina