Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 11:52 PM

743 posts, read 877,102 times

Advertisements

Hello and I absolutely love your state! I am trying to narrow down retirement options. We currently live near Phoenix, Arizona.

We would like to live in a new or newer home.
Price range 200,000 - 350,000 (is that too low or about right?)
We don't want to be isolated--we'd like to live in a subdivision of 2+ acres with other homes. That's where we live now and it's nice to have neighbors.
Are there any ranch or ranchette subdivisions near Charlotte? We'd really like to live near a big city. Right now, Phoenix, Arizona is about 35 mins (without traffic) away. Our closest shopping is about 10 mins.
Where are the horse properties in NC? Am I looking in the wrong area by looking near Charlotte?

Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 05:59 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGS4EVER View Post
Where are the horse properties in NC? Am I looking in the wrong area by looking near Charlotte?
You might look at the LandAndFarm website. There are a couple properties in Cabarrus County, but they are $399,000 and $599,000. You budget is really too low to get 2+ acres near Charlotte.

The predominant horse country is in the Sandhills, near Pinehurst, Aberdeen and Laurinburg. One example is this one: McLendon Hills - North Carolina's Premiere Lake and Equestrian Community However, they are a long trip to the big city.

You might have to do some more research to see how realistic your plans are. Acreage near big cities is probably a lot more expensive than it is in Arizona, and it is hard to find a "newer" home on acreage. There are plenty of older 3-bedroom brick ranches on acreage out in the rural counties. Maybe look at Albemarle in Stanly County, as it is 55-60 minutes from Charlotte.

Last edited by goldenage1; 08-07-2016 at 06:08 AM..

Old 08-07-2016, 06:46 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,979,858 times
You'll have more options if you consider buying land and building. You may be able to get acreage a modest distance from Charlotte which is too low for a subdivision due to flood concerns, but fine for grazing. Then tailor the home within the portion of it that's buildable, to fit within your price range.

Old 08-07-2016, 08:21 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,532,029 times
There are horses, horse clubs and equestian activities all over NC. You didn't mention interest in competitons, but the competition facilities, to a degree, are where some of the greatest concentrations of horses/horse properties are located.

Two of the greater concentrations of horses (primarily sport horse related) are Southern Pines/Raeford and Tryon. Facilities that host major events include Carolina Horse Park, Raeford, NC, FENCE near Tryon, and the new Tryon International Equestrian Center.

The state of NC operates three major equestrian facilities in Raleigh, Williamston (eastern NC) and Fletcher (near Asheville).

The NC Horse Council might be a good resource as well.

As for actual horse property, I agree that your budget may be a bit low. The immediate Tryon area can be quite pricey. Subdivisions or developments with small acreage sites for horses exist in NC but are not widespread; most will be upscale. I'd suggest that you narrow down your search to a specific area and then find a realtor experienced in land and acreage sites. If you want to stay in proximity to Charlotte, I suggest looking at Lincoln, Gaston, Cleveland, and Rutherford counties. The Stanly County recommendation is a good one too.

Old 08-07-2016, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
As for actual horse property, I agree that your budget may be a bit low. The immediate Tryon area can be quite pricey. Subdivisions or developments with small acreage sites for horses exist in NC but are not widespread; most will be upscale. I'd suggest that you narrow down your search to a specific area and then find a realtor experienced in land and acreage sites. If you want to stay in proximity to Charlotte, I suggest looking at Lincoln, Gaston, Cleveland, and Rutherford counties. The Stanly County recommendation is a good one too.
Good suggestions. I was not clear whether the OP actually wanted to keep a horse or just wanted 2+ acres for privacy. If they just want privacy, the Rutherfordton area is very feasible for a home with 2+ acres within the OP's budget.

If they want to keep a horse, they have to consider whether an HOA would allow it, or they just locate a house outside of an HOA. An HOA community with horse facilities like riding trails is going to be more expensive. In either case, using a specialized Realtor is essential.

Old 08-07-2016, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Good suggestions. I was not clear whether the OP actually wanted to keep a horse or just wanted 2+ acres for privacy. If they just want privacy, the Rutherfordton area is very feasible for a home with 2+ acres within the OP's budget.

If they want to keep a horse, they have to consider whether an HOA would allow it, or they just locate a house outside of an HOA. An HOA community with horse facilities like riding trails is going to be more expensive. In either case, using a specialized Realtor is essential.
I would like to have a horse on site and not board elsewhere. I used to live in a area that had great riding trails and places to go. Arizona does not have anything like that, at least not where I currently live. It's becoming more and more "city home" subdivisions build around us country folk.

I can up my budget, but would prefer to not have a house payment.

If I am reading these responses correctly:

There's really no horse property near Charlotte. I would have to live an hour away?

Charlotte is flat so there's flooding issues?

I can have acreage, just no horses near Charlotte.

I did read about McClendon Farms and that seemed great, just too far south. Isn't it more humid down that way as well?

I am getting discouraged. I really wanted to live in NC for at least 10 years. My other options are Colorado and Utah. I really don't want to live in Utah.

Old 08-07-2016, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
There are horses, horse clubs and equestian activities all over NC. You didn't mention interest in competitons, but the competition facilities, to a degree, are where some of the greatest concentrations of horses/horse properties are located.

Two of the greater concentrations of horses (primarily sport horse related) are Southern Pines/Raeford and Tryon. Facilities that host major events include Carolina Horse Park, Raeford, NC, FENCE near Tryon, and the new Tryon International Equestrian Center.

The state of NC operates three major equestrian facilities in Raleigh, Williamston (eastern NC) and Fletcher (near Asheville).

The NC Horse Council might be a good resource as well.

Thank you for this info. I will check out those areas.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:41 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
Nah, I'm sure you could have horses somewhat near Charlotte, but Charlotte is growing very fast and much of the outlying areas are being gobbled up for suburban subdivisions. You will have to go out a little farther for horse property. Wouldn't worry about flooding.

Your budget it way too low. Double it at least, maybe more, if you want new construction and horse property near Charlotte. You might be able to find a much older property for that budget, or a property not near a major city.

It's humid all over the state. It's a few degrees hotter in the Sandhills (Pinehurst/Southern Pines area), but really only about 5 degrees hotter max. Very humid here everywhere, including the mountains, but you don't feel it as much there because the temp is a lower.

Old 08-07-2016, 09:00 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
Run a google search on "horse properties 2+ acres near Charlotte new construction" and you will get some hits. There are properties in your price range, but I don't think they're new construction. If you're open to an older home you could probably swing something. I'm seeing a nice looking 4 acre horsey property (3bd, 2 baths) in Waxhaw built in 2001 for $400,000 right now.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGS4EVER View Post
I can up my budget, but would prefer to not have a house payment.

If I am reading these responses correctly:

There's really no horse property near Charlotte. I would have to live an hour away?
I can have acreage, just no horses near Charlotte.
I think you can find property large enough to support a horse within your budget near Charlotte, but your budget is not enough to be in an "equestrian community" as these tend to have high-end homes.

I think you need to moderate your expectations a bit, and you have a few options.

- There are affordable horse properties near Pinehurst and Aberdeen which you can locate with a Google search. (Check MLS No. 175726 which is adjacent to miles of riding trails. It is listed for $200,000.)

- You could find an older home near Charlotte, but you might have to install a barn and fences. However, check the zoning for the county, as some require a minimum of 5 acres for horses. Union County only requires one acre per horse, with additional setbacks for a barn.

- The suggestion to buy a lot and build is also a good one, although with the budget you would be limited with the size of the house.

Last edited by goldenage1; 08-08-2016 at 08:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina