Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 10:06 AM

444 posts, read 325,094 times

Advertisements

As the title says.. What would be the cheapest city in NC that still has some kind of work available (temp service, fast food) and still has a room that can be had for under $500 a month? Anywhere in the state of NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 10:54 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,347,028 times
I'd look in the Triad, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point. It's got jobs. That's low for rent, but might be doable, especially if you are okay with a roommate. It's a growing area, but not experiencing the rapid growth that Charlotte and the Triangle (Raleigh (Cary), Durham, Chapel Hill) is and the rent is lower overall.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:57 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,387,275 times
I'd suggest looking at some of the smaller cities...Like Salisbury or Hickory. They have bus service, and housing will be cheaper than larger cities. Heres an ad for an apartment in Salisbury for $400/mo.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:10 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,059,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashtagusername View Post
As the title says.. What would be the cheapest city in NC that still has some kind of work available (temp service, fast food) and still has a room that can be had for under $500 a month? Anywhere in the state of NC.
I have no idea if it is the cheapest city, but you can get an apartment in Jacksonville for under $500. It also has a bus line, but you would have to map the route to work.

Old 08-19-2016, 04:19 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,504,477 times
Fayetteville is cheap as hell and has fast food / retail jobs galore. I rented a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom single family house with a fenced in backyard for $650 a month, and also rented a room in a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom house for only 375 a month. They were both very large neighborhoods (Southgate and Loch Lomond) and there were only 3 shootings with 2 fatalities in my neighborhoods. So relatively safe by Fayetteville standards. Would not actually recommend you move there, it's cheap for a reason. Just answering your question Tho. As for a place I WOULD recommend that has what yiu seek? I dunno, maybe Southern Pines/Aberdeen? Goldsboro? Jacksonville? Good luck!

If you can afford 500 a month in rent and can deal with a roommate, you can afford to live anywhere. Chapel Hill is one of the most expensive cities in the state and I had 1 roommate in my apartment there, I paid 400 all utilities included. I paid 450 in Durham and now I'm in Raleigh paying 450. With all these roommates I'm meeting tons of people. It's pretty rad.

Old 09-24-2016, 07:14 AM

15 posts, read 19,048 times
Garner or Durham

Old 09-24-2016, 10:08 AM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,427,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Fayetteville is cheap as hell and has fast food / retail jobs galore. I rented a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom single family house with a fenced in backyard for $650 a month, and also rented a room in a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom house for only 375 a month. They were both very large neighborhoods (Southgate and Loch Lomond) and there were only 3 shootings with 2 fatalities in my neighborhoods. So relatively safe by Fayetteville standards. Would not actually recommend you move there, it's cheap for a reason. Just answering your question Tho. As for a place I WOULD recommend that has what yiu seek? I dunno, maybe Southern Pines/Aberdeen? Goldsboro? Jacksonville? Good luck!

If you can afford 500 a month in rent and can deal with a roommate, you can afford to live anywhere. Chapel Hill is one of the most expensive cities in the state and I had 1 roommate in my apartment there, I paid 400 all utilities included. I paid 450 in Durham and now I'm in Raleigh paying 450. With all these roommates I'm meeting tons of people. It's pretty rad.
$500 seems ridiculously cheap in an area like Chapel Hill. It even seems that $600-700 is the norm these days in cities, unless it's a really small city.

Old 09-24-2016, 02:36 PM

241 posts, read 339,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I'd look in the Triad, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point. It's got jobs. That's low for rent, but might be doable, especially if you are okay with a roommate. It's a growing area, but not experiencing the rapid growth that Charlotte and the Triangle (Raleigh (Cary), Durham, Chapel Hill) is and the rent is lower overall.
This. I think Greensboro would be the best choice because it's the largest city in the Triad. A good mix of jobs, college and family town feel, decent public transportation, diversity, etc. The expenses are reasonable.

Old 09-25-2016, 06:37 PM

233 posts, read 243,626 times
Fayetteville and The Triad Metro... Would be my personal best option!

It can get Cheaper (But sacrifice safety and employment opportunity)

Rocky Mount
Wilson
Salisbury
Gastonia
Goldsboro
Morganton

Old 09-26-2016, 12:04 PM

530 posts, read 638,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexw1 View Post
Garner or Durham
Durham is one of the more expensive areas of North Carolina. You can find much cheaper cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina